CARE is seeking a talented Director of Development (DOD) who will be responsible for managing a portfolio of corporate partners with a revenue goal of $1.5 million annually. The portfolio will consist of established partners as well as dormant, nascent and emerging corporate prospects with the potential to grow. In addition to a revenue target, the DOD will be charged with leveraging our partners’ core business, employee talent, consumer base and brand to further CARE’s goals.
The Director of Development will work closely with CARE program colleagues – both U.S.-based and in country offices, and will ensure that CARE is well represented in networks and meetings relevant to CARE’s programmatic interests. The ideal candidate brings some programmatic expertise, a passion for poverty-alleviation, and the ability to self-manage complex internal and external partnerships. In addition to managing a set of existing corporate partners, the DOD will research, identify, and reach out to corporations new to CARE to build a pipeline for future support. This may include also responding to inquiries from new prospects, assessing potential, and managing engagement.
- Manage a portfolio to include emerging and complex corporate relationships where there are organization/business imperatives, CSR interests, brand synergies, employee engagement, and policy influence and sector leadership.
- Establish the strategy for each partnership and work with relevant stakeholders to maximize each partnership across multiple assets.
- Manage all aspects of these partnerships, including outreach, strategy, and stewardship.
- Collaborate with colleagues across CARE USA, CI Lead Members and country offices at all levels to strategically identify and support opportunities for engagement and then manage the ongoing partnerships.
- Partner with the Senior Director on high-value, strategic partnerships to help manage the diverse aspects of these engagements.
- Undergraduate degree;
- 5-7 years of experience in some combination of corporate fundraising, partnership management, project design/management, proposal writing, and program advisory or international development field work;
- Demonstrated success in outbound, self-initiated prospecting and qualifying;
- Experience successfully reporting in a matrix environment;
- Capacity to facilitate internal decisions across multiple stakeholders as required to produce content for proposals;
- Excellent oral and written communications skills;
- Strong interpersonal and relationship-building skills;
- Extensive experience in fundraising, foundation relations, cultivating and stewardship of donors;
- Experience working as part of a team;
- Evidence of strong analytic skills;
- Computer literacy, including facility with Word, Excel, and other Microsoft Office applications;
- Project design/proposal writing for foundations or comparable donors;
- Advanced editing skills.