Job title: Director of Business Operations
Based in Maputo, Mozambique
Reports to the Country Representative
Who we are
We’re Population Services International (PSI), the world’s leading non-profit social marketing organization. We work to make it easier for people in the developing world to be healthy by providing access to products and services that range from mosquito nets to HIV testing.
There are over 9,000 “PSI’ers” around the world. It’s a diverse group of entrepreneurs and professionals with an unusually wide range of backgrounds – from the medical industry to the music business – all with unique skills we bring to the job.
The Director of Business Operations, working under direct supervision of the Country Representative will be responsible for providing leadership, technical support, supervision, and guidance to the finance, human resources, procurement, management information systems, legal/compliance, and grants & contracts teams. He/She will play a key role in ensuring that all PSI finance and administration teams have the required tools, processes and talent to meet their objective of acting as strategic partners to the rest of the organization. With an eye towards efficiency, the Director of Business Operations will continuously seek to streamline process and identify opportunities to add value to a culture of high performance. He/she is the custodian of accounting and financial process to ensure PSI is compliant with donor and PSI global standards, but that the processes are enabling the implementing teams achieve program targets.
The Director of Business Operations supervises three people and the operations department consists of 20 staff members. Overall, PSI/Moz has 180 staff and 4 field offices. The platform currently has funding from a wide range of donors including DFID, the Royal Netherlands Embassy, USAID and others and an average annual revenue of $10m and significant growth is predicted for 2020.
Sound like you? Read on.
Strategic leadership role:
- Provide direction and strategic leadership for organizational change and development processes with a particular focus on ensuring our finance and administrative processes support the program teams;
- Ensuring our administrative processes align with PSI Mozambique Strategic Objectives and can be accomplished in an efficient manner;
- Design and maintain internal systems that ensure accurate and timely reporting on financial, human resource, and program performance;
Financial reporting and policies:
- Establish and/or refine and disseminate policies, systems and practices for effective management, procurement, disbursement and accounting for all financial resources in line with PSI Washington’s global accounting policies, funder requirements and local law;
- Lead monthly review and analysis of financial reports and reconciliations with attention to how resources can be better allocated to achieve program objectives;
Budgeting, Financial analysis and donor compliance:
- Lead the annual budgeting process;
- Validate monthly common cost analysis and update cost ratios to ensure each donor bears the correct proportion of common
- Track and review departmental budgets in consultation with budget holders and finance team and conduct detailed activity status review and give input to C and budget
- Prepare and track donor Prepare modifications and activity realignments as necessary;
- Monitor performance and efficiency of on-going donor projects by analyzing country/project monthly spend rates and highlighting possible problem
- Support preparation and successful conclusion of internal and external auditing activities for the CR, PSI/W and for the donor annual audit reporting;
- Review management comments for audit reports and ensure appropriate action taken to correct audit findings;
- Monitor progress on work plans for implementation of audit recommendations from internal and external audits;
Legal and Compliance:
- In collaboration with PSI Legal Counsel, minimize legal risk to the organization and engage on legal issues confronting the organization;
- Review and test controls to ensure PSI systems are compliant with PSI Global policies, donor requirements, as well as Mozambican laws;
- Ensure prompt preparation and submission of statutory returns, donor reports and tax compliance;
Team & Organizational Development:
- Supervise PSI Mozambique’s finance, human resources, procurement, and grants & contracts departments (?);
- Design and oversee training programs to continuously improve individual and organizational capacity to take on additional responsibility;
Government and Donor Management:
- Ensure an understanding of donors administrative and financial requirements before entering and throughout the duration of the award;
- Ensure prompt preparation and submission of statutory reporting, donor reports and tax compliance;
Operational management and administration:
- Oversee accurate and timely payroll generation;
- Oversee administration, IT and procurement activities are done promptly and economically;
- Coordinate with Operations Director and Provincial Representatives to establish and support suitable accounting and administrative systems and personnel in all PSI field offices;
- Regularly update PSI Mozambique’s procurement system so that it is in line with PSI’s Global Procurement Manual and changing funder guidelines;
- Oversee procurements as per funder guidelines and PSI Mozambique Procurement Manual and Guidelines;
- Lead on the establishment and enforcement of contracts between PSI Mozambique and suppliers, project partners (primes and subs), and donors;
- Capacity Building of PSI Mozambique Procurement team in conjunction with Senior Procurement and Capacity Building Officer in C.;
- Adherence to PSI Global Responsibilities Matrix on Approval limits for Procurement of Goods and Services
What are we looking for?
The candidate we hire will embody PSI’s corporate values:
Collaboration: You can work independently, but thrive within a team.
Trust: You trust that your manager and team will have your back and care deeply about gaining that same trust from your teammates
Pragmatism: You dive in and maintain momentum even when things are ambiguous and you don’t let perfect get in the way of good enough.
Honesty: You aren’t afraid to speak up and speak your mind.
Measurement: You set clear and challenging goals and hold yourself accountable to driving measurable results.
Commitment: You’re independent and a free thinker, but you’re ready to buy in to the direction of the team and commit to its success.
- PSI experience preffered.
- MBA or with Finance degree with experience of working at senior management levels
- Minimum of 15 years of progressively responsible positions in a large-scale, commercial or non-profit environment
- Demonstrated leadership in working in with a large finance and operations team in a nation- wide operation
- Strong knowledge of funder regulations, including USAID and DFID.
- Experience with ERP systems Strong working knowledge of spreadsheets.
- References will be required.
- The successful candidate will be required to pass a background check.
What would get us excited?
Drive change and innovations: Act with urgency for continuous improvement and with a bias towards action; promote development of breakthrough solutions; embrace and advocate innovations that improve results; aggressively promotes the need for breakthrough improvements.
Develop others: Give people challenging assignments to develop their capabilities; provide timely coaching, instruction and feedback, create an environment where failure is seen as an opportunity to learn. Coaches others and helps them develop their knowledge and skills; give people authority to make decisions
Understand Donor and Development Perspective: See PSI from the donor point of view; understand the market forces that impact PSI; understand current donor strategy and where it is likely to lead in the future. invests time to understand the donor’s priorities, procedures, and systems; Knows donor strategic plans and how they will impact PSI
Communicate and Share Information: Share information people need to make decisions or avoid problems; keep people informed about all issues that may affect them; Communicates clearly, concisely and to the point; Keeps people informed on a timely basis of change, key events and decisions that may affect them
Acting with Long Term Perspective: Take actions today to build a strong foundation for future success, identify and take advantage of emerging opportunities, keep PSI’s long-term goals in mind when addressing short-term issues and problems.
PSI is an Equal Opportunity Employer and encourages applications from qualified individuals regardless of actual or perceived race, religion, color, sex, age, national origin, disability, sexual orientation, marital status, personal appearance, matriculation, political affiliation, family status or responsibilities, gender identity or expression, pregnancy, childbirth, related medical conditions or breastfeeding, genetic information, amnesty, veteran, special disabled veteran or uniform service member status or employment status.