The Director will also be responsible for leading a team and providing supervision and support to an assigned sub-set of SI staff. The Director should have an established track record in staff management, along with the skills to support a variety of organizational management functions such as budgeting and resource planning. The Director will report directly to the Vice President of Business Development.
Due to the COVID-19 pandemic, this is a remote position through September 2021. When SI determines that it is safe for staff to return to the office, the Director of Business Development will be based in the Washington, DC-area.
Capture and Proposal Management :
- Lead the full cycle proposal development process for strategically important bids, transitioning from the Capture Manager to Proposal Manager.
- Serve as proposal reviewer, providing comprehensive comments and revisions to pink, red, and gold team drafts, as well as thoroughly reviewing budgets.
- Provide guidance, mentoring, and QA/QC to BD staff regarding their Capture and Proposal Management responsibilities.
- Assist the BD Managers, Associates and Assistants in the proposal development process for other bids.
- Lead and support efforts to identify and lock international and local partners.
- Assist the recruitment team in efforts to identify, interview and vet potential Key Personnel.
- Work with the BD VP and other BD staff to develop and refine Capture and Proposal Management procedures and practices.
Strategic Leadership and People Management :
- Play a lead role in strategic planning for the business development team, helping to define strategy, budget and resource allocation for the department.
- Support the Vice President of BD and other members of executive leadership, in determining strategic directions and identifying priority opportunities and countries.
- Serve as a resource for executive leadership for developing practice areas and strategy, relationship management, SOPs, staff capacity building, and client diversification.
- Lead diversification efforts and market entry into new areas and new USG clients.
- Play a key role in BD team management by overseeing an assigned set of approximately 3-5 BD staff, including Managers, Associates, Assistants, and Interns.
- Serve as a coach and mentor to assigned staff, providing career advice, and advocating for staff interests.
- Recommend realignment of workloads as necessary to optimize high quality service delivery, staff professional development and work life balance.
- Participate in the recruitment, hiring, and onboarding of new BD team staff.
- Build relationships with USG and other clients and with potential partner organizations.
- Attend BD networking opportunities, including conferences, career fairs, workshops, and other industry events.
- Assist in marketing and public relations efforts to promote company services and capabilities to current and potential clients, partners, and consultants.
Required Qualifications :
- Master’s degree in international development or related field.
- A minimum of 10 years of experience in business development and contract proposal management.
- Demonstrated experience tracking, designing, managing, and winning contract proposals for USG agencies (including USAID, DoS, & MCC) and other clients.
- Thorough knowledge of U.S. Government procurement practices.
- Demonstrated experience supervising, coaching and mentoring staff.
- Demonstrated ability to establish and maintain effective working relationships with co-workers and clients.
- Demonstrated ability to oversee and manage multiple complex projects simultaneously and provide advice and guidance in a timely fashion.
- Demonstrated ability to exercise good judgment and communicate effectively orally and in writing (English fluency required).
- Strong leadership, interpersonal, entrepreneurial, and management skills.
- Ability to work effectively in a fast-paced, growing business environment.
- Professional proficiency in a foreign language.
- Technical expertise in one or more sectors (e.g. health, environment, governance, education).
Come join our energetic and innovative team! We offer you the opportunity to play a leading role in the growth of our company, work as part of a creative and committed team, and make a difference in the well-being of our world.
To learn more about Social Impact, please visit our website: http://www.socialimpact.com
SI is an EEO/AA/ADA Veterans Employer. All qualified applicants will receive consideration for employment without regard to race, color, religion, sex, sexual orientation, gender identity, national origin, disability, or protected veteran status.
Only selected candidates will be contacted for an interview. Please, no phone calls.