BASIC PURPOSE: The Director of Advance provides strategic short and long-term vision for international project administration and other development initiatives. The director oversees the implementation of those initiatives while providing leadership, management oversight, and technical direction to the project and missionary relations team. He/she serves as the primary representative for The Advance and acts as key liaison to staff overseeing Global Ministries international, regional, and national project work.
The Director collaborates and manages critical relationships with United Methodist agencies partners and other stakeholders. Qualified candidates must have knowledge of best practices in project management and relationships and must be knowledgeable about the United Methodist Church structure and polity. The ability to partner with units within the Board and key external stakeholders is required.
ESSENTIAL JOB FUNCTIONS:
- Ensure the overall quality for The Advance which is the accountable, designated giving arm of The United Methodist Church.
- Design, plan and implement new capacity building strategies for projects that meet the criteria of The Advance.
- Partner with United Methodist Communication to promote missionaries, project and programs of the Advance in new and exciting ways.
- Provide overall direction, coordination, and management for annual project reporting for financial accountability, evaluation and capacity building.
- Ensure that the Advance staff develop and implement plan to increase communication with projects, donors and stakeholders through a variety of communication media.
- Direct Advance team’s efforts to manage, develop and coach project and missionary relations team.
- Excellent team leadership, team working and relationship building skills with the ability to develop positive working relations across functions and cultures.
- Ability to use appropriate management tools to ensure effective running of programs, staff management and development.
- Excellent written and oral communication and representation and negotiation skills with excellent spoken and written English.
- Fundraising skills (grants, solicitations, and networking) and experience in same required.
- Experience in developing skills of partners in promoting their fundraising efforts.
- Thorough understanding of The United Methodist Church as well as theological studies and business administration courses required.