The Cystic Fibrosis Foundation (CF Foundation) and its employees embrace their commitment to its core values. These core values are the pillars on which the CF Foundation stand and will continue to sustain us as we move forward.
- Keep sight of what really matters: Our decisions are based on what is best for people with cystic fibrosis and their families.
- Aspire for excellence in all we do: We take pride in our work. We are committed to continuous learning and improvement.
- Stronger together: We collaborate and work together so that we can learn more and achieve more.
- Innovate with courage: We embrace challenges. We reach beyond boundaries in pursuit of our vision.
- Care about our people: We deeply care about each other and all who support our shared mission. We listen with respect. We support one another.
The Director, Medical Communications and Patient Education plays an essential role in empowering the cystic fibrosis (CF) community – inclusive of people with CF and their circles of support – with the information and resources they need to confidently manage the challenges of living with CF and be effective partners in their own care. The Director, Medical Communications and Patient Education is charged with understanding the CF Foundation’s full portfolio of activities to advance CF treatment and care and provide support for the daily physical, emotional, social, and practical challenges of living with CF. This role will create actionable, educational resources for patients and families, as well as coordinate a cohesive communications strategy across multiple audiences.
ESSENTIAL DUTIES AND RESPONSIBILITIES:
- Maintain a forward-looking roadmap of resources that will help patients with CF manage their disease and is responsive to the top concerns of the CF community. Actively seek insights from CF clinicians and community members to inform prioritization of topics.
- Lead and/or oversee the development of key messages, materials, and other resources, ensuring that care-focused content, collateral, and campaigns are of the highest quality and align with the Foundation’s broader positioning.
- Coordinate with colleagues within the marketing function on strategies to disseminate and promote educational content and resources and optimize the user experience of these materials on cff.org.
- Undertake and/or oversee efforts to assess the impact of resources and campaigns through qualitative and quantitative measures, and continually refine our approach to meet the changing needs and media consumption habits of the CF community. Stay abreast of new trends in patient education and related technologies, to ensure CF Foundation patient resources remain state-of-the-art.
- Inform CF Foundation messages and storytelling related to care, including support for relevant plenary sessions at the North American Cystic Fibrosis Foundation Conference (NACFC).
- Maintain a close relationship with Clinical Affairs Director, Patient Activation to ensure patient-facing resources and communications efforts complement corresponding efforts targeted to clinicians and incorporate clinical perspective on patient needs and behaviors. Serve as the convener to ensure creation of cohesive, cross-functional communications plans.
- Work with community-facing colleagues across the Foundation to ensure materials and strategies are informed by patient insights and acknowledge known barriers to patient behavior change (i.e. knowledge, attitudes, and socio-economic status).
- Promote a culture of high performance and continuous improvement; mentor and develop staff.
- Build and sustain relationships at multiple levels with various stakeholders including CF Foundation senior leaders, donors/volunteers, external collaborators, media and thought leaders in the CF field.
KNOWLEDGE, SKILLS AND ABILITIES REQUIRED:
- 10-15 years of experience in communications with a focus on health care or medicine at a large nonprofit, corporation, or communications agency environment with a focus on patient education.
- Strong organizational skills; ability to oversee complex and detail-oriented projects that require collaboration with wide group of professionals, including medical and patient access experts; ability to oversee strict review processes; ability to work in fast-paced environment and meet multiple deadlines.
- Data-driven; enthusiasm for continuous learning and refinement based on analytics; eagerness to understand and act on campaign and content performance.
- Strong communications skills and ability to work well with extended CF community, and especially to “tune in” to the concerns and sensitivities of patients, families and clinicians.
- Highly collaborative, with the ability to work with colleagues across departments while providing constructive feedback to writers and content creators. Skilled at seeking input from and managing diverse stakeholders while maintaining focus on stated objectives.
- Curious and solution-oriented; demonstrated commitment to continuous learning and improvement.
- Excellent writing, editing, and proofreading skills.
- Experience managing junior staff.
- Bachelor’s degree in communications or related field is required.
- Normal office environment with little exposure to excessive noise, dust and temperature.
- No heavy lifting required.
- Minimal travel (e.g., 2x/yr.) to conferences and meetings, as necessary.
The above is intended to describe the general content of and requirements for the performance of this job. It is not to be construed as an exhaustive statement of essential functions, responsibilities or requirements.
The CF Foundation is an equal opportunity employer that is committed to being an employer of choice, not just a good place to work, but a great and inclusive place to work. We strive to recruit and maintain a diverse workforce. Qualified applicants will receive consideration for employment without regard to race, physical or mental disability, color, religious creed, ancestry, national origin, religion, age, sex, marital status, genetic information or testing, gender identity and expression, sexual orientation or status as a Vietnam-era or special disabled veteran or any characteristic protected by law.
Reasonable Accommodation Notice
The CF Foundation is committed to providing reasonable accommodations for qualified individuals with disabilities in our job application procedures. If you need assistance or would like to request an accommodation due to a disability, please contact us at HROps@cff.org.