Director, Health Systems
Based in Washington, DC, USA, or any country where PSI is registered.
Up to 25% international travel.
Who we are
With over 50 years of experience, working in over 40+ countries, Population Services International (PSI) is the world’s leading non-profit social marketing organization. PSI is reimagining healthcare, by putting the consumer at the center, and wherever possible – bringing care to the front door. We are working to fix market failures, shape future health markets and shift policy and funding to better support consumer powered healthcare.
There are over 5,000 “PSI’ers” around the world. We are a diverse group of entrepreneurial development professionals with a wide range of backgrounds and experience. All with unique skills that we bring to the critically important work that we do.
The Health Systems Director provides strategic direction and overall thought leadership for establishing PSI as an innovator and leader in building stronger, more responsive and more sustainable health systems around the world. This role reports to the Chief Delivery Officer and directly and indirectly supervises a growing portfolio, including teams focused on primary care, self care, digital health and health financing.
- Expands PSI’s health systems development portfolio, with an emphasis on consumer driven and market-based approaches.
- Provides strategic and technical leadership on PSI’s efforts to develop primary healthcare systems in line with PSI’s consumer powered healthcare framework, Sustainable Development Goals and disease-specific global goals
- Oversees an inter-disciplinary team with expertise in health systems, primary care, self-care, health financing, and private sector engagement ensuring synergies through planning, coordination, intra-team communication and deployment of resources (human and financial).
- Collaborates with other departments to develop an integrated vision and learning agenda for PSI’s health systems development portfolio, which is responsive to changing market needs.
- Drives the utilization of evidence-based tools and innovations to improve the PSI network’s ability to landscape, coordinate and facilitate integrated public-private-community-home-based healthcare networks.
- Mobilizes with Global Fundraising significant resources to support the HSA and PSI’s health systems development work more broadly and the attainment of the Sustainable Development Goals.
- Supports country teams to develop new opportunities and identify new entry points for health systems development and engage governments in systems-building conversations.
- Influences the context in which PSI works in health systems development through representation at relevant technical working groups, conferences, workshops, and policy-oriented forums using appropriate thought leadership approaches.
- Foster, maintains and/or strengthens strategic partnerships in collaboration with relevant departments.
What are we looking for?
- Master’s Degree (or international equivalent) in economics, public health, or other relevant field is required
- At least 15 years in international development with strong public health fundamentals, including health system strengthening is required
- At least 7 years managing diverse teams and have a strong ability to motivate, influence and collaborate with others is required
- Deep understanding of health systems development including knowledge of key global priorities and networks.
- Demonstrated experience in donor engagement and management as well as implementation of health systems development programming on a global scale.
- Demonstrated experience in strategic planning, staff development and capacity building.
- Strong track record of generating funding, policy influence and strengthening strategic relationships.
- Must be able to read, write, and speak fluent English; fluency in French and/or Spanish preferred.
- At least five years of experience living or working in Africa or Asia on infectious disease programming is highly preferred
- References will be required.
- The successful candidate will be required to pass a background check.
- Candidates must hold a current work authorization in the country they will be working from, and not require sponsorship.
The candidate we hire will embody PSI’s corporate values:
- Measurement: You use hard evidence to make decisions and guide your work. You set clear goalposts in advance and explain clearly if you need to move them.
- Pragmatism: You’ll strive to deliver the best possible result with the resources available. You won’t be paralyzed by a need to make things perfect.
- Honesty: You own your mistakes and are open about your shortcomings – it’s the only way you’ll learn and improve.
- Collaboration: You’ll quickly establish a mental map of whom you can rely on for what, on your team, at headquarters, and in our country offices – if you try to do it all yourself, you won’t succeed.
- Trust: You accept limits to your sphere of control and give colleagues the benefit of the doubt.
- Commitment: You are in it for the long-haul and want to grow with the organization, just like PSI serves its consumers and partners with host-country governments through thick and thin.
*Due to high volume of applications, only finalists will be contacted. Curious about your status? Please log into your iCIMS account to find out.
PSI is an Equal Opportunity Employer and encourages applications from qualified individuals regardless of actual or perceived race, religion, color, sex, age, national origin, disability, sexual orientation, marital status, personal appearance, matriculation, political affiliation, family status or responsibilities, gender identity or expression, pregnancy, childbirth, related medical conditions or breastfeeding, genetic information, amnesty, veteran, special disabled veteran or uniform service member status or employment status.
ACCESSIBILITY NOTICE: If you need a reasonable accommodation for any part of the employment process due to a physical or mental disability, please send an email to: firstname.lastname@example.org or call (202)785-0072.