World Wildlife Fund (WWF), the world’s leading conservation organization, seeks a Director, Government Donor Relations at our Washington, DC office. Oversees. plans, and manages cultivation, solicitation and stewardship of U.S. government donors and manages WWF technical compliance with USAID and other Government-funded agreements for a portfolio in excess of $30 million annually. Provides thought leadership and guidance to program staff to develop partnerships with USAID and other government agencies, designed to secure funding for WWF initiatives and to ensure adherence with USAID and other government donor requirements.
- Develops, implements, and manages strategies for government funding in coordination with relevant Goal and Development Staff and Network colleagues.
- Oversees identification of government funding opportunities. Visits with government officials on behalf of World Wildlife Fund. Coordinates efforts to secure government funds for WWF’s conservation program in collaboration with Goal Staff.
- Promotes cultivation of government donors; provides ongoing support to Goal staff in D.C. and field offices to facilitate dialogue with government donors, such as coaching on presentations, and other communications.
- Oversees and directs preparation of proposals and solicitation materials for consideration by government donors. Ensures clarity and quality of proposals, application of WWF Program Management Standards, Environmental and Social Review requirements, and responsiveness to government agency policy requirements and technical requirements. Communicates the organization’s ideas and programs to government donors.
- Oversees grant reporting process and assures compliance with donor reporting requirements and deadlines.
- Monitors trends in government funding and works with relevant program staff to integrate findings into funding strategies
- Develops policies, procedures, and templates for applying for and implementing government funded agreements within WWF-US. Provides expertise on technical components of proposals as prepared by program staff and supervises the submission process. Approves all USG proposal submissions. Analyzes lessons learned and promotes best practices to support high standards in delivery of government-funded programs.
- Oversees compliance for government funded projects as in-house expert on US government requirements. Provides interpretation, clarification, and dissemination of government donor regulations for HQ and field program technical staff.
- Manages periodic review meetings with Goal staff for government donor projects and ensures proper follow-up on issues to be addressed.
- Trains staff on USAID and other government donor requirements; develops related training and reference materials and conducts training as appropriate.
- Suggests, designs and implements special projects as needed. Performs other duties as assigned.
Education/Experience: Requires advanced degree or equivalent experience in natural resource management or equivalent experience. 10 years of experience in working with government grants. Must demonstrate a successful record of fundraising accomplishments and ability to manage multiple tasks, set priorities and meet deadlines. USAID background and proposal development experience required.
Skills and Abilities:
- Strong oral and written communication skills
- Excellent organizational ability
- Strong negotiation and diplomatic skills
- Ability to lead proposal writing initiatives.
- Strong government donor research skills.
- Strong interpersonal skills to coordinate efforts of a team, work independently, and maintain flexibility.
- Ability to maintain internal and external relationships on behalf of WWF, including strong relationships with program staff at all levels of the WWF organization and with USG officers, including staff of USAID missions to address issues related to specific USG-funded projects.
- Supervisory Responsibility: Ability to manage one or more staff