LoE: 100% (37.5h)
Department: External Affairs
Reports to: Internews Europe CEO, working closely with Internews US Alliance President
Supervises: 2.5 Fundraising Staff, 3.5 Communications Staff
Internews empowers people worldwide with the trustworthy, high-quality news and information they need to make informed decisions, participate in their communities, and hold power to account. Our vision is to unleash human potential everywhere by turning on the bright light of information.
For more than 35 years, in more than 100 countries, Internews has worked to build healthy media and information environments where they are most needed. We have proudly launched hundreds of sustainable organizations, bolstered the skills of thousands of media professionals, activists, and citizens, and helped our partners reach millions of people with quality, local information.
Internews is a non-profit organisation operating internationally, with administrative centres in California, Washington DC, London and Paris as well as regional hubs in Bangkok, Kiev and Nairobi. Formed in 1982, Internews currently has offices in Africa, Asia, Europe, the Middle East, Latin America and North America.
ABOUT THE CANDIDATE
We are seeking a dynamic candidate who brings significant experience in communications, unrestricted fundraising, and marketing. The ideal person for this job thrives on expanding networks and advocating for mission-driven programs and has a proven track record of crafting strategies and successfully raising general support funds.
Internews is a very diverse organisation globally. We value the perspectives that result from the inclusivity of different voices, and the foundation of our work is to support free and open communications between people of all backgrounds. We are an organisation of dynamic, mission-driven people who are passionate about our core values and about supporting positive change in the world. We pride ourselves on our commitment to innovation and flexibility. We are an EEO employer and strongly encourage people from all backgrounds to apply for any of our open positions.
The Director of External Affairs will deliver a high-impact global communications, marketing and unrestricted fundraising strategy designed to support the organisation’s brand positioning, fundraising and policy influence.
- Designing and leading our efforts to diversify our funding base and build the resilience of our mission by significantly increasing our unrestricted giving programmes;
- Building Internews’ reputation at the forefront of efforts to support independent media and the provision of high-quality information around the world; and
- Advancing Internews’ voice in global debates around freedom of expression, digital rights, and the role of media and information in addressing the world’s most pressing issues.
The Director of External Affairs reports to the CEO of Internews in Europe, while working closely with the President of Internews in the US. This position manages a small team of fundraising and communications professionals (6 FTEs), split between Washington DC and London. The Director serves as part of the Senior Staff team, driving all outreach and unrestricted fundraising efforts as part of our overall strategic plan.
ESSENTIAL DUTIES AND RESPONSIBILITIES include the following; other duties may be assigned:
Unrestricted Fundraising :
- Develop the case, build the strategy and execute a comprehensive plan to expand the network of individuals, foundations and corporations who support the broad mandate of Internews through general support and unrestricted giving;
- Working with the philanthropy teams in the US and Europe, drive our general support/unrestricted fundraising strategies, crafting action plans, cultivating existing donors and developing new major donors, with a target of raising $1 million per year in unrestricted funds across the US and Europe (up from approximately $250,000 currently);
- Guide our philanthropy teams to run our annual ticketed fundraising events in NYC and London;
- Set and work with the team to achieve annual unrestricted fundraising targets, approved by both the UK Trustees and the US Board and in support of Internews mission; and
- Work with the marketing and communications team to ensure broad Internews communications and outreach supports this critical body of work.
Marketing and Communications
- Develop, implement and evaluate an Internews external marketing and communications strategy which supports our new five-year strategy;
- Design messaging, positioning and communications plans that are aligned with organisational and fundraising goals; and
- Set press and media relations strategies to support this work.
Global Outreach and Advocacy
- Lead communications and outreach for Internews’ Global Change Agenda, which aims to influence global players to advance healthy information environments around the world; and
- Strengthen the external communication capacity across the organization, positioning Internews leadership and Subject Matter Experts for media, speaking opportunities and other thought leadership initiatives, while ensuring that colleagues are equipped to tailor and convey key messages to external audiences.
The Director for External Affairs supervises all communications, private development staff and consultants, including a direct team of 6 professionals, based in Washington, DC and London, UK. The Director of External Affairs carries out supervisory responsibilities in accordance with the organisation’s policies and applicable laws. Responsibilities include training employees; planning, assigning, and directing work; appraising performance; addressing complaints and resolving problems.
Internews is seeking a candidate who has:
- Proven experience in marketing, unrestricted fundraising and communications;
- A person who thrives on expanding networks and advocating for mission-driven programs;
- A proven track record of crafting strategies and successfully raising general support/unrestricted funds;
- Ability to plan, set goals, monitor progress and evaluate results;
- A strategic manager, able to work collaboratively as part of a team in a flexible, dynamic environment;
- Enthusiasm for the power of media and information technologies a big plus;
- Excellent communication skills: speaking, writing, and listening; and
- Ability and willingness to travel, occasionally to Internews programs overseas.
Deadline for Applications:
17 February 2020