Put your passion and skills to work for the planet. Climate change is the most urgent issue of our time, and we need people like you to help us build a vital Earth — for everyone.
We’re Environmental Defense Fund, a fast-paced nonprofit with a growing staff of more than 850 people in nearly 30 countries. We deliver game-changing solutions that cut climate pollution and strengthen people’s ability to thrive despite the effects climate change is already having. We work wherever we can have the most impact, from local communities to top companies to governments worldwide, and even in space.
Our culture, values and commitment to diversity make EDF an exciting and meaningful place to work. Every job here makes a difference. Won’t you join us?
Job Title: Director, EU Transport Program
Location: Brussels (Hybrid)
Hours: Full Time
Application Deadline: January 15th, 2023 – Early applications are strongly encouraged and will be processed upon receipt.
Application Format: Please submit your CV (max 2 pages) and a Cover Letter (max 1 page)
Transport represents almost a quarter of Europe’s GHG emissions and is the main cause of air pollution in cities. The transport sector has not seen the same gradual decline in emissions as other sectors: emissions only started to decrease in 2007 and remain higher than in 1990. Within this sector, road transport is by far the biggest emitter accounting for 72% of all GHG emissions from transport in 2019.
EDFE works at the EU, national and local levels. So far, our work on transport in the EU has focused mostly on reducing emissions from the shipping sector. We are now launching two additional workstreams. These focus on increasing the demand for sustainable transport solutions and the removal of economic and financial barriers that hinder development of sustainable transport solutions.
In this varied position you will have a central role leading these two new workstreams, and you will also oversee exiting work on shipping. We’re looking for experienced candidates who have:
an excellent understanding of the EU’s ambitions for reducing transport emissions under the Green Deal a deep knowledge of the measures that can irreversibly shift to a low-emission mobility, whilst also supporting delivering improvements in air quality, reduction in noise levels, lower congestion levels and improved safety and equity strong commitment to the sustainable transformation of the transport system.
You will report to the AVP European Strategy & Engagement based in London, liaising closely with colleagues in Europe, the United States and in other overseas offices.
- Manage and further develop our EU transport program, with a direct focus on two new workstreams. You will also be overseeing our shipping work
- Be an advocate for a sustainable transformation of the transport system in Europe with a view to reduce greenhouse gas emissions, improve air quality and other negative impacts
- Work with a multi-disciplinary team of scientists, economists, and communication colleagues
- Commission and oversee strategic economic and policy analysis
- Build and leverage internal and external networks and connect with key stakeholders in e.g., European Institutions, EU member state governments, industry and partner NGOs to advance the objectives of our transport work
- Support fundraising efforts to raise new resources for this program of work and the wider transport agenda
- Manage a small team in Brussels and a few contractors based in the EU
- Participate in advancing EDF Diversity, Equity and Inclusivity goals in which people from all backgrounds and experiences feel connected, included, and empowered to address the environmental and organizational challenges in alignment with EDF values.
Skills & Experience
- Are educated to masters level, or have equivalent professional experience (highly desirable – economics or related quantitative disciplines), with 10 years or more work experience
- Are highly experienced at influencing EU legislative and policy approaches in the Brussels hub
- Are a strong networker. You will build on your existing network at the EU level and in specific Member States to identify and develop relationships with a variety of stakeholders in and outside the transport sector. You will identify and develop relationships with potential project collaborators
- Are an excellent analyst and problem solver. And you are able to commission and/or produce and communicate high-quality economic and statistical analyses to support the policy proposals of EDF Europe
- Are experienced at developing the strategy for a project or advocacy campaign, identifying relevant funding and establishing work plans. You also have fundraising experience.
- Are a strong written and oral communicator. You apply your communication skills to persuade, influence or lead others. You are confident at doing formal presentations before senior internal staff and critical outside stakeholders.
- Fluent in English and have a good command of at least one other European language
- Demonstrate self-awareness, cultural competency and inclusivity, and ability to work with colleagues and stakeholders across diverse cultures and backgrounds
The position is based in our Brussels office. We support hybrid working. You must be eligible to live and work in the EU when applying.
We offer a strong total rewards package encompassing competitive
salary, robust benefits, and professional development opportunities
consistent with a modern global organization.
The pay range for this role is 97,000 –
which takes into account factors such as candidate experience, skills,
training, internal team equity and local norms.
Environmental Defense Fund is an equal opportunity employer where an applicant’s qualifications are considered without regard to race, color, religion, sex, national origin, age, disability, veteran status, genetic information, sexual orientation, gender identity or expression, or any other basis prohibited by law.