With world attention on both the environment and the economy, Environmental Defense Fund (EDF) is where policymakers and business leaders turn for win-win solutions. By focusing on strong science, uncommon partnerships and market-based approaches, we tackle urgent threats with practical solutions. We are one of the world’s largest environmental organizations, with more than two million members and a staff of approximately 700 scientists, economists, policy experts, and other professionals around the world. We operate in 22 geographies with unique projects running across four programs. You will be part of a vibrant workplace where innovation and results are a way of life.
EDF envisions a world in which people from all backgrounds and experiences feel connected to the environmental challenges we face and are engaged in creating durable, equitable solutions. We seek talented candidates who share our Core Values of Respect, Results, Innovation, Optimism, and Integrity, and support our Commitment to Diversity.
The Director, Development Communications reports to the Senior Director, Development Communications, and serves as an organizational leader in communications for current and prospective individual and institutional donors of at least $100,000. The director will work directly with Development, Program and Executive leadership, gift officers, and members of the Development Communications team to ensure that EDF’s major goals and strategies are articulated in a consistent and compelling manner for donor audiences.
The Director will work with the Senior Director to develop best practices and strategic vision for donor communications and mentor and provide guidance to other Development Communications team members. They will also work directly with Development Communications team members, Development, Program and Executive leadership and gift officers to create clear, compelling and consistent communications frameworks for use with donors, including advising Program and Executive leadership on strategy development. The Director will serve as the lead writer on high priority communications materials and edit engagement, cultivation, solicitation and stewardship materials drafted by Development Communications team members to ensure consistency, clarity and effectiveness. They will serve as a member of the Development Communications leadership team.
- Advise on the development of program strategy and foundational communications materials.
- Serve as the lead writer on high priority donor communications materials.
- Edit engagement, cultivation, solicitation and stewardship materials.
- Provide editorial oversight for foundational donor communications materials.
- Develop best practices and templates for the Development Communications team.
- Mentor and provide guidance to Development Communications team members.
- Partner with the Senior Director, Development Communications and Development leadership to develop and implement a comprehensive donor communications strategy.
- Participates in advancing EDF DEI goals in which people from all backgrounds and experiences feel connected, included, and empowered to address the environmental and organizational challenges in alignment with EDF values.
- Bachelor degree required.
- 7+ years of combined experience in individual and institutional fundraising, communications and related fields
- Demonstrated understanding of current trends in fundraising and communications
- Extensive experience working with Principal and Major Gift Officers
- Demonstrated ability to communicate complex issues in a clear and compelling manner
- Strategic ability and big-picture problem-solving capacity
- Experience in environmental communications preferred
- Demonstrates self-awareness, cultural competency, and inclusivity, and ability to work with colleagues and stakeholders across diverse cultures and backgrounds.
Environmental Defense Fund is an equal opportunity employer where an applicant’s qualifications are considered without regard to race, color, religion, sex, national origin, age, disability, veteran status, genetic information, sexual orientation, gender identity or expression, or any other basis prohibited by law.