Title: Director, Child Development and Protection
Div/Dept: Program Development
Location: Richmond, VA or Washington, DC
Reporting Relationship: VP, Program Development
The Director, Child Development and Protection provides technical leadership to ChildFund International’s programming for children worldwide. The Director develops and executes a coherent learning agenda for the global portfolio based on ChildFund’s life stage theories of change. He or she leads a global strategy for deepening organizational excellence in child development and protection and ensuring quality, integrated and thoughtful guidance and support is offered to ChildFund International offices. The Director mentors and guides the technical program team and engages with peers and in external fora to help grow ChildFund’s influence and resources, and to position ChildFund as a thought leader in the field. He or she is a member of the Senior Management Team that plays an influential role in setting the direction, pace and culture of the Division.
- Responsible for technical leadership of the ChildFund International program portfolio around child protection and development. This includes leading program teams across the organization to evolve standards, approaches, core guidance and effective practices.
- Raises the profile of ChildFund’s work in external fora and among peers, donors, and research institutions, especially around child protection. This includes leading partnership development; networking; development of presentations, articles and presentations; and engagement in the development discourse. The position holder will stay abreast of cutting edge practice in his or her field and ensuring that the ChildFund International program portfolio contributes to this discourse and benefits from it.
- Oversight of the development of a coherent learning agenda about child development and protection that is aligned with ChildFund International’s theory of change. This includes promoting a culture of inquiry within the organization, ensuring a plan to gather evidence, promote knowledge, execute applied research, and develop a cadre of professionals across the ChildFund world.
- Responsible for directly contributing to the quality and size of the program portfolio, especially related to Child Protection. This includes donor cultivation, grants acquisition and management, proposal development, and partnership development.
- Manages and guides a technical team to execute a program quality improvement agenda. This includes supervision of multi-sectoral staff collaboration with colleagues across borders, and developing workplans and monitoring their execution and outcomes.
- Other tasks as assigned.
- 10-15 years of experience in the management and execution of programs related to child development and protection
- Demonstrated expertise in child protection
- Extensive knowledge of Child Protection networks, actors and funding environment
- Proven ability to set strategic direction and develop operational plans
- Demonstrated success in the management and development of dispersed geographic and multi-disciplinary teams
- Demonstrated ability to lead, mentor, catalyze and influence technical and management staff across functions and disciplines.
- Demonstrated experience in capacity building of staff, including training, mentoring and coaching
- Demonstrated experience in technical leadership and knowledge and learning strategies that reach cadres of staff.
- Familiarity with the donor landscape active in and experience in growing a program portfolio, and executing and managing programs funded by a set of these donors.
- Knowledge of standards and effective practices and peer organization activities as they relate to child development and protection
- Proven ability to cultivate and steward relationships with partners and donors
- Excellent presentation, public speaking and interpersonal skills. Able to work in a diverse and often virtual global workforce, across languages, cultures, and leadership styles.
- Demonstrated experience utilizing an influential style of leadership.
- Organized, team player, self-starter and results-oriented individual
- Preferred French, Spanish, or Portuguese language skills
Master’s degree in International Development, Child Development or closely related discipline.