Established in 1964, the African Development Bank is the premier pan-African development institution, promoting economic growth and social progress across the continent. There are 81 member states, including 54 in Africa (Regional Member Countries). The Bank’s development agenda is delivering the financial and technical support for transformative projects that will significantly reduce poverty through inclusive and sustainable economic growth. In order to sharply focus the objectives of the Ten Year Strategy (2013 – 2022) and ensure greater developmental impact, five major areas (High 5s), all of which will accelerate our delivery for Africa, have been identified for scaling up, namely; energy, agro-business, industrialization, integration and improving the quality of life for the people of Africa. The Bank is seeking to build a management team that will lead the successful implementation of this vision.
The Chief Economist/Vice-President for Economic Governance and Knowledge Management is the Bank’s spokesperson on economic matters and the Vice President for the ‘Economics Governance and Knowledge Management Complex’. The Complex is responsible for (i) providing leadership and visibility for the Bank on economic, finance, financial governance and socio economic development issues; and coordinate the generation of analytical works to inform operational policy; (ii) systematically emphasize the critical role of knowledge, experience, lessons learnt and their tangible impact on sustainable, inclusive transformation of African economies.
THE HIRING DEPARTMENT:
The external role of the African Natural Resources Center is to support Regional Member Countries improve development outcomes through effective management of natural resources wealth by delivering practical solutions on policy, legislative and investment decisions in the sector. Internally, it brings cohesion to the Bank’s strategies in natural resources sectors by providing a single lens through which the institution tackles natural resources governance.
The Director of the African Natural Resources Center is responsible for the leading, design and implementation of the Center’s strategy and work program in accordance with the Bank’s High 5 strategies.
The Director will lead the design and implementation of the Centre’s strategy and work program in relation with the Bank’s strategic priorities, the High 5, and especially the three-year business plan for capacitating regional member countries in managing renewable and non-renewable resources in order to improve development outcomes.
Duties and responsibilities
Under the supervision and guidance of the Chief Economist/Vice-President for Economic Governance and Knowledge Management, the director will:
- Provide an overall vision and strategy for better managing and harnessing natural resources to improve the quality of life for both present and future generations. Bring to bear the best expertise available in Africa and worldwide to provide customized policies for individual client countries.
- Recommend socially desirable policies regarding optimal fiscal policy (taxation) and contract negotiations and implementation for non-renewable and renewable natural resources management.
- Design sustainable solutions to address natural resource conservation and management problems and prepare and implement an action plan to make the African Center for Natural Resources an internationally recognized center of excellence.
- Advise Regional member countries on natural resource stewardship in both theory and practice, with the goal of helping them design institutional and policy frameworks that are adaptable and resilient in light of the social and ecological complexity and change that characterize today’s challenges.
- Work program validation and execution
- Review and validate the objectives and work program for the department, ensuring alignment to the Bank, Complex and department strategic priorities.
- Monitor their execution and provide guidance as needed to the teams.
- Review and validate the budget, and its effective implementation.
- Report on the work program execution, and propose alternative and corrective measures as needed.
- Actively contribute to the designing and monitoring of the department key performance indicators.
- Technical oversight on the department activities
- Provide strategic guidance to the Bank through the Vice-President on Bank wide natural resources related strategies.
- Coordinate regional natural resources governance support through programs knowledge.
- Collaborate with the Director Generals to grow and meet demand for policies and projects in natural resources.
- Advise the Vice-President on the Center’s strategic and operational matters by identifying areas of support to regional member countries and regional offices.
- Support Director Generals by providing expertise, technical assistance and building knowledge dissemination of natural resources sectors at country level.
- Oversee the narrowing of knowledge and skills gaps in relevant natural resources sectors as relates to the delivery of High 5s through leadership of internal and external knowledge development initiatives.
- Lead work plans for the development of solution-oriented policy tools by ensuring the products respond effectively to natural resources development policy, legal and institutional development needs.
- People Management
- Ensure the department has the appropriate skills-mix at any time for effective delivery of the objectives defined in the work program.
- Review and validate the staffing needs and build with the Human Resources department the required recruitment plans.
- Assess work performance, appraise staff potential and determine training needs.
- Put in place, with the assistance of the Human Resources department, talent management mechanisms, to build a talent pool for the department for business continuity.
- Organize effective delegation of responsibilities by empowering staff at all levels.
- Relations with stakeholders
- Procure adequate human and financial resources to deliver the mandate by leveraging internal resources and forging external partnerships.
- Represent the Bank at relevant platforms by articulating the Center’s value proposition and increasing the Bank’s brand visibility.
- Serves as Acting Vice President for the Complex for Economic Governance and Knowledge Management when required.
- Performs other duties assigned by the Vice President.
- Hold at least a Master’s degree in Natural Resources Management, Resource Economics, Natural Resources Policy or related disciplines. A Ph.D. degree will be a strong asset.
- Have a minimum of ten (10) years of relevant and progressive professional experience in the areas of natural resources management and policy reforms in reputable international organizations of which at least 5 years must be in managerial role.; relevant experience includes work in policy, legal and institutional formulation and reforms.
- A strong track record in regional development policy.
- Thorough knowledge of renewable and non-renewable resources policy formulation and implementation principles.
- Strong knowledge of capacity building strategies.
- Familiarity with operational activities in multilateral development institutions is essential.
- Strong strategic influencing skills and demonstrated ability to present and win support for ideas.
- Track record of application of sound and balanced judgment, even under stressful situations.
- Excellent analytical and drafting skills illustrated by a solid publication record.
- Ability to communicate effectively, both orally and in writing, in French or English, with a good working knowledge of the other language.
- Competence in the use of standard Microsoft Office Suite applications (Word, Excel, Access, PowerPoint); knowledge of SAP is highly desirable.
THIS POSITION IS CLASSIFIED AS INTERNATIONAL RECRUITMENT AND ATTRACTS INTERNATIONAL TERMS AND CONDITIONS OF EMPLOYMENT.
Should you encounter technical difficulties in submitting your application, please send an email with a precise description of the issue and/or a screenshot showing the problem to: HR Direct HRDirect@AFDB.ORG
To apply for this position, you need to be national of one of AfDB member countries.
The African Development Bank Group (AfDB) does not ask for payments of any kind from applicants throughout the recruitment process (job application, CV review, interview meeting, and final processing of applications). In addition, the Bank does not request information on applicants’ bank accounts. The African Development Bank Group declines all responsibility for the fraudulent publications of job offers in its name or, in general, for the fraudulent use of its name in any way whatsoever.