This is an exciting opportunity to join a growing team that will amplify the presence of mothers2mothers (m2m) in North America. This senior role will shape and lead the implementation of key elements of m2m’s North America philanthropy and corporate partnerships strategy. The Development Director, North America will maintain and grow a robust personal portfolio as well as providing strategic oversight and management of a team responsible for the full range of individual giving activities in North America, such as leading m2m’s individual stewardship approach, overall events, campaigns, digital communications and community fundraising as well as the corporate partnerships and engagement strategy for North America.
Reporting to the North America Director, the Development Director will be responsible for raising funds and increasing the awareness of m2m across North America. The Development Director will build strong partnerships with individuals and corporations and will work closely with m2m global staff to identify and develop new business opportunities that foster deep strategic partnerships and donor relationships. This role will require extensive collaboration with colleagues in Europe, South Africa and m2m-African country offices, providing m2m-wide thought leadership on engaging new audiences and building models of growth for unrestricted funding.
Key Performance Areas
Individual Major Gifts
- Support the North America Director in revitalizing a philanthropy and major gifts strategy for individuals giving in North America, as well as input into long range business planning, quarterly forecasting and annual budgeting preparation.
- Lead the individual giving activities of the fundraising team in order to bring coherence and focus to efforts in North America – including prospect research and identification, events, collateral development, support for the proposal development process, and ensuring a well-stocked pipeline of opportunities.
- Oversee successful achievement of GGC, Non-GGC Major Giving and Individual/Regular Giving target.
- Serve as a “hands on” primary relationship manager by managing a portfolio of key high value donors, and driving significant new business by creating strategic partnerships and identifying, approaching and securing income from new individual sources.
- Maintain an active schedule of personal visits and initiate one-on-one engagement and solicitation opportunities with donors and new prospects.
- Ensure the correct balance of retention of existing funders and new income generation.
- Work closely with the Co-Founder on segmentation and stewardship of the Global Giving Circle and individual donors.
- Engage colleagues across m2m entities and key external stakeholders in developing strategies to engage individual philanthropists and to coordinate global pipelines, approaches and relationships.
- Engage the CEO and other senior staff as appropriate in advancing prospect relationships, including planning and coordinating their cultivation, proposal and solicitation efforts.
- Work closely with the m2m US Board on their fundraising efforts.
- In alignment with m2m’s strategic plan 2019-2021 (and beyond), support the North America Director to grow corporate revenue and strategic partnerships in North America.
- Oversee and manage the development and delivery of the corporate partnerships for m2m North America, providing support for the growth of the Corporate Advisory & Development Committee.
- Identify corporate opportunities which can also support other income streams.
- Work closely with the resource mobilisation team to identify and cultivate community fundraising and cause-related marketing opportunities.
- Lead select global and geographic-specific campaigns and other tactics to increase unrestricted revenue, utilizing matching donors and key corporate partners where possible.
- Lead North America corporate marketing.
Campaigns, Events & Community Fundraising
- Oversee delivery of m2m’s Events strategy, including fundraising, cultivation, and engagement events in North America.
- Support the North America Director in the creation and development of a North America fundraising strategy to deliver event income, including planning, organising and implementing prospecting and stewardship events.
- Help create a cohesive yearly strategy for annual campaigns and deliver a program to grow unrestricted revenue while effectively engaging supporters via a digital communications strategy.
- Manage the strategic growth of m2m North America’s online donor base.
- Represent m2m Resource Mobilisation interests at relevant meetings, events, and other opportunities, and within resource mobilisation or donor-specific peer networks.
Organisational Strategy and Functional Leadership
- Support the North America Director in Resource Mobilisation strategy and execution to enable the growth and diversification of unrestricted revenue and partnerships.
- Develop and track personal and team revenue projections, which includes determining appropriate fundraising targets, ensuring targets are monitored and met through the creation and use of performance reports, and building in and activating contingencies to ensure revenue lines stay on track.
- Oversee implementation and use of Salesforce to ensure targeted, regular donor communications, as well as accuracy and completeness of information.
- Provide thought leadership on stewardship, innovation, new models of growth for unrestricted funding.
- Promote the organisation’s mission, values, strategy, brand, and short- and long-term objectives, externally and internally including by providing regular updates and facilitating direct contact with program, country and technical colleagues as appropriate.
- Ensure that organisational relationships, prospects and partners meet the organisation’s needs, and are flexible to adapt as geographic and regional, country, political, and economic climates evolve.
- Present and contribute to the preparation of Board meeting materials and other event and committee efforts, including CADC, GGC, etc.
- Serve as a senior representative for the organization in key and select events and opportunities.
- Promote the m2m brand and ensure that staff and teams are both brand compliant and excellent brand ambassadors.
- Support the development, maintenance, and enhancement of strategic internal and external stakeholder relationships in North America and beyond.
- Manage the performance, training, coaching, and continuous development of direct reports in accordance with the organisation’s performance management program.
- Contribute to guiding and supporting the performance management and development of larger, cross-divisional teams, as appropriate, outside the direct span of control of program/project areas.
- Ensure robust performance and/or project management of virtual teams (e.g., regular 1:1s, catch ups, career conversations, performance against key performance areas (KPAs), etc.).
- Create a supportive & collaborative culture of excellence, high performance, and high energy.