With world attention on both the environment and the economy, Environmental Defense Fund (EDF) is where policymakers and business leaders turn for win-win solutions. By focusing on strong science, uncommon partnerships and market-based approaches, we tackle urgent threats with practical solutions. We are one of the world’s largest environmental organizations, with more than two million members and a staff of approximately 700 scientists, economists, policy experts, and other professionals around the world. We operate in 22 geographies with unique projects running across four programs. You will be part of a vibrant workplace where innovation and results are a way of life.
EDF envisions a world in which people from all backgrounds and experiences feel connected to the environmental challenges we face and are engaged in creating durable, equitable solutions. We seek talented candidates who share our Core Values of Respect, Results, Innovation, Optimism, and Integrity, and support our Commitment to Diversity.
This position is a critical part of the Development Communications team within EDF’s Development Department. Location is flexible, preferably in EDF’s New York, San Francisco, or Washington, DC offices. There is opportunity for a hybrid work schedule as well.
The Development Communications Senior Specialist reports to the Associate Director and Senior Editor of Development Communications.
The Development Communications Senior Specialist will help ensure the smooth functioning and high performance of the Development Communications team, which prepares proposals, reports, donor emails and other written materials to cultivate and secure funding from donors for EDF’s programs.
- Proof and quality check cultivation, solicitation, and stewardship materials written by senior members of the Development Communications Team.
- Write cultivation, solicitation and stewardship materials, including proposals, reports and emails.
- Support the Development Communications Team as needed to produce the highest-quality documents, for example by assisting with gathering content, formatting, developing tables, and photo searches.
- Support document and process flow, ensuring deadlines are met efficiently.
- Manage and maintain electronic files, including donor lists, communications documents and workplans.
- Communicate and collaborate extensively with development, program and marketing staff in carrying out tasks and responsibilities.
- Participate in department-wide initiatives, projects, meetings, retreats and other duties as assigned.
- Coordinate and send time-sensitive emails about breaking news to donors. This includes proofreading and managing distribution lists.
- Participate in advancing EDF’s diversity, equity and inclusion goals, in which people from all backgrounds and experiences feel connected, included, and empowered to address the environmental and organizational challenges in alignment with EDF values.
- Additional duties as assigned.
- Bachelor’s or Associate’s degree in English, journalism, communications or marketing with a minimum of three years’ relevant experience.
- Excellent writing, proofing, and editing skills with a keen understanding of style and grammar.
- Ability to translate complex technical information into plain language.
- Consistent attention to detail with excellent organizational skills.
- Familiarity with best practices in fundraising and fundraising communications, including experience with project management.
- Proficiency in a database or constituent relationship management system, such as Salesforce.
- Proficiency with Microsoft Office. Familiarity with photoshop and InDesign a plus.
- Ability to adapt to frequent change and prioritize multiple tasks effectively under deadline pressure.
- Strong time management skills, especially when it comes to balancing small but necessary tasks with big, urgent ones.
- Ability to work as a strong team player as well as independently.
- An understanding of and commitment to EDF’s mission and core values of results, respect, innovation, optimism and integrity.
- Demonstrated self-awareness, cultural competency and inclusivity, and ability to work with colleagues and stakeholders across diverse cultures and backgrounds.
Environmental Defense Fund is an equal opportunity employer where an applicant’s qualifications are considered without regard to race, color, religion, sex, national origin, age, disability, veteran status, genetic information, sexual orientation, gender identity or expression, or any other basis prohibited by law.