Start date: ASAP
End date: March 2023
Status: Full time
Based in: Mexico City
Prosperity Fund Mexico – Financial Services Strand
Funded by the UK Foreign & Commonwealth Office, the objective of the Strand is to create a more inclusive and competitive financial services sector, accessible to all segments of Mexican society and new market entrants. The Strand will increase the depth, coverage and efficiency of financial services in order to support a reduction in poverty, increase productivity and promote long-term social and economic development. The Strand aims to do this by matching the identified market failures with specific UK capabilities to build capacity and share best practice within the public and private sectors.
DAI seeks a dynamic Deputy Team Leader with a passion and drive to oversee the day-to-day implementation of DAI’s Financial Services Strand programme in Mexico.
The post holder will work closely with the Team Leader, and other team members, providing leadership and overseeing the effective and efficient management of the programme’s financial, human and administrative resources. The Deputy Team Leader will also manage the programme’s Agile Programming Fund and the technical assistance Resource Pool, ensuring both deliver value for money, and respond quickly to programme opportunities and requests.
Specific responsibilities include inter alia:
- Responsible for putting in place (and monitoring) robust financial/accounting, procurement and administrative systems and procedures, which comply with, and are aligned with, DAI and the client’s rules, regulations and high standards
- Work closely with the Team Leader to ensure the effective management of the programme (including but not limited to: tracking, reviewing and updating key programme documentation such as work plans, budgets, manuals, staff contracts, and supervisory responsibility)
- Supports TL in ensuring quality of programme outputs are fully aligned with DAI and client requirements
- Work closely with the Team Leader and the Finance and Operations Manager to ensure effective financial management of the programme and that resources are allocated effectively and productively, in line with the agreed annual budget, logframe and value for money framework
- With support from the Finance and Operations Manager, ensure all programme finances (including expenditure, systems) are regularly monitored and audited (identifying trends, opportunities, risks et al)
- Provide operational advice and guidance to the Team Leader on an on-going basis
- Contribute to programme planning and strategy, including the development of annual workplans and budgets, and help guide and oversee the alignment of the budget to expected results
- In close collaboration with the Team Leader and the UK based Project Accountant, ensure good information flow and communication pertaining to programme expenditure, assets, resources, and financial systems and controls are followed according to DAI’s Procurement Manual
- Produce regular reports (financial and narrative) for the Team Leader (in English and Spanish) and other DAI staff in the UK
- Responsible for financial reporting and forecasting in line with FCO requirements
- Responsible for tracking budget expenditure and reporting overspend and underspend to DAI
- Be available for auditing requests from the UK office on a timely matter
- Responsible for ensuring that all staff are trained and comply with internal financial and administrative systems, protocols and standards
- Leads on delivery of the APF (development, implementation and monitoring of APF assignments)
- Coordinate effectively with key programme partners ensuring all programmatic grants/expenditure is processed on time and in accordance with DAI systems and protocols
- If required, support the Finance and Administration Manager provide training and mentoring to partners to strengthen their capacity of DAI’s financial and administrative systems and procedures
- With the Finance and Administration Manager, build effective relationships with programme’s main service providers and relevant government officials/agencies in Mexico
- Performance manage and provide regular support and mentoring to the Finance and Operations Manager, ensuring accountability and adherence to KPIs and programme deliverables
- With the support of the Team Leader, lead on the development, implementation and monitoring of the Agile Programming Fund (APF). This will involve inter alia:
- Sourcing and screening proposals
- Designing APF assignments
- Sourcing of consultants for APF assignments
- Delivering APF assignments
- Manage the operational aspects of the programme’s short-term technical assistance Resource Pool, ensuring all the necessary logistical and administrative systems and support are in place for the consultants to be hired effectively, on budget and on time
- Ensure the Resource Pool contains the right mix of Mexican and international expertise to deliver on the Strand’s objectives, and that it supports a gender balanced team and diversity principles
- Act as the Security Focal Point for the team, ensuring compliance with DAI’s security policies and executing the project security plan
- Act as the Health and Safety Focal Point for the team, ensuring compliance with DAI’s Health and Safety procedures
- Act as the Safeguarding Officer for the team, ensuring compliance with DAI’s safeguarding policies and systems being implemented are practical, robust and monitored regularly
- Ensures compliance with DAI policies and FCO rules and regulations, in line with the programme’s budget, logframe and value for money framework
- Collaborate with the Deputy Team Leader for the Energy Strand sharing information, avoiding possible duplication of roles, systems and providers, and when possible identifying economies of scale and synergies
- Serve as Acting Team Leader in the Team Leader’s absence
- Create a productive and supportive working environment, providing astute and capable leadership at all times
- Coordinates and schedules weekly, monthly and quarterly meetings with FCO and supports TL in creating agenda for meetings
- With the other team members, nurture and maintain team spirit and a collegial working environment that reflects DAI’s core principals of integrity, responsibility, excellence and global citizenship
- Work to ensure that the programme team complies with DAI ethics, safeguarding and security policies and procedures
Reporting and support
The Deputy Team Leader will be supported and line managed by the Team Leader.
Please note that all profiles are indicative only and therefore subject to change.
Last date for submission of applications is 29th September 2019.