****(Estimated 60-75% LOE)****
PATH is a global organization that works to accelerate health equity by bringing together public institutions, businesses, social enterprises, and investors to solve the world’s most pressing health challenges. With expertise in science, health, economics, technology, advocacy, and dozens of other specialties, PATH develops and scales solutions—including vaccines, drugs, devices, diagnostics, and innovative approaches to strengthening health systems worldwide.
PATH is currently recruiting for a Deputy Director to help lead the Living Labs, a fast-paced and iterative human-centered design (HCD) initiative which accelerates the pace of health innovation to ensure all communities have the solutions they need to live healthy lives. Living Labs works to improve health outcomes and ensure locally-driven innovation by building on existing human-centered design expertise in the countries where PATH operates. While the Living Labs was established in 2019 with a focus on applying rapid ideation to enhance the motivation of frontline immunization workers in sub-Saharan Africa, the initiative has expanded into other health areas and bodies of work such as maternal health, nutrition, non‑communicable diseases, and medical devices/product development.
We seek an inspiring, experienced, deeply committed leader and manager who can quickly understand both internal and external needs, the breadth and depth of our current portfolio, one who can help envision and execute our new strategic initiatives, and who wants to be part of a growing, global team.
- Foster strategic and functional collaborations between Living Labs and other PATH programs, country teams, and internal working groups to foster inclusive innovation and gender integration to maximize impact, leverage efficiencies across the organization and position Living Labs for current and future global health needs and realities.
- Serve as an internal and external advocate for the incorporation of HCD approaches into global health programming as a critical component of supporting PATH’s 2025 strategy and achieving health impact.
- Provide leadership and execute the Living Labs 3–5-year strategy, specifically focused on resource mobilization to grow Living Labs’ base of long-term projects, expanding into new geographies, and adapting our current operational design processes to support this growth.
- Identify, cultivate, and strengthen new and existing partnerships with Ministries of Health, donors, international and local NGOs (nongovernmental organizations), other design firms/agencies, private foundations, academic institutions, and industry partners. Serve as a key liaison with these external stakeholders.
- Develop concept notes and proposals, in line with the Living Labs 3–5-year strategy, pitch to potential donors, and secure partners.
- Serve as proactive “face” of PATH’s Living Labs at key meetings, conferences, and via online social media; position oneself as a key leader in the global health HCD ecosystem; and amplify the Living Labs’ value and vision inside and outside the organization.
- Provide operational leadership to maintain focus on near-term tactical and longer-term strategic priorities, develop business analytics, and organize resources to get projects done in the most effective way.
- Oversee project management elements of the portfolio including reviewing or providing input on the development or execution of budgets/forecasts, workplans, deliverables, staffing plans, communication activities, and other internal initiatives.
- Develop framework and specific transformative actions for scaling up equitable leadership, engagement and learning by women and marginalized populations.
- Oversee the integration of quantitative methods with the HCD/qualitative components of the design process; use data and storytelling to measure and improve the impact of interventions for women and marginalized populations.
- Model PATH values including creating a diverse, equitable and inclusive work environment