Title: Deputy Director Commercial Supply Chain
Department: Procurement and Logistics
Based in Washington, DC
Up to 25% international travel
Reports to the Director of Procurement
Who we are
We’re Population Services International (PSI), the world’s leading non-profit social marketing organization. We work to make it easier for people in the developing world to be healthy by providing access to products and services that range from mosquito nets to HIV testing.
There are over 7,000 “PSI’ers” around the world. It’s a motley group of entrepreneurs and professionals with a diverse range of backgrounds all the way from the medical industry to the music business, all with unique skills we bring to the job.
Are you an experienced Commercial Supply Chain professional that is passionate about maximizing your teams’ efforts? Do you enjoy directing strategic and tactical initiatives? Are you passionate about putting forth a quality product? Do you desire to work for a mission driven organization committed to supporting improvements in health and wellbeing in emerging markets? If this describes you then continue reading.
PSI, a leading global health organization, is seeking a Deputy Director for Commercial Supply Chain to lead its’ global commercial supply chain team, with a particular focus on revenue generating product lines. This function is a strategic activity within PSI, aimed at ensuring the availability of high-quality health products at competitive prices for mid and lower income consumers in emerging markets through financially viable business models. The individual recruited into this position will be responsible for building out and delivering a best in class global supply chain.
The right candidate will have demonstrated experience in leading teams and programs to deliver successful outcomes. The Deputy Director Commercial Supply Chain is responsible for building effective supply chain processes and driving a culture of ownership across the commercial supply chain function that results in satisfactory and consistent delivery performance for PSIs internal customer base.
This position will require minimum 25% travel. This role will be based in our headquarters in Washington, DC.
Skills and Experience
You should have experience of using the Lean or Six Sigma methodology to implement routine analysis of performance metrics to identify and prioritize gaps and improvement opportunities, addressing critical gaps to on time and in full delivery. Ideally you will have a background from the commercial sector (especially; manufacturing, engineering or pharmaceutical). You must be able to demonstrate your experience managing end to end Supply Chain for a portfolio of products in FMCG and/or Pharmaceutical sectors. Experience identifying and managing manufacturer engagement and strategic partnerships for business growth is preferred. You will be a pragmatic individual who can quickly establish best practice to improve production planning and inventory management. The successful Senior Supply Chain Director will be an entrepreneurial leader with a passion and stamina for driving change.
As a member of the Procurement and Logistics (P&L) team this position has a focus on the supply chain activities for PSI’s product sales functions. Supporting PSI’s drive towards a financially viable product supply chain for affordable, quality products.
Responsibilities will include:
- As a leadership position within the Global Supply Chain team this position will support the development of a robust pipeline for new product development and strategic partnerships that further the health needs within PSI markets.
- Lead the assessment and management of effective processes and systems to better manage new product introduction and replenishment of existing products, ensure supplier pipeline is delivering the best value for money and product innovation to support enterprise level operations and strategies.
- A vital component of these activities is close collaboration and consultation with senior members of the procurement team and Social Enterprise Department to ensure that synergies in terms of supplier commercial terms and existing long-term agreements are leveraged for the global good.
- Develop and manage global commercial KPIs and metrics with senior members of the procurement team to drive improved decisions making, cost efficiency, spend analytics, and the effective deployment of financial and human resources across the commercial supply chain functional areas. This will include the in-business supply chain for PSIs commercial activities.
- Manage the Commercial Supply Chain team as part of a matrixed management structure. Direct reporting line will be to the Director of Procurement with a dotted reporting into the VP for Social Enterprise.
- Oversee multiple in-country regulatory and quality assurance teams. Product quality standards are a vital consideration in all these activities, including rationalizing quality standards with the goals of a financially viable product sales business.
Identify potential areas for cost savings and/or operational efficiencies in multi-country supply chain operations whilst minimizing risk and maintaining product quality standards to inform product sourcing and quality assurance strategies.
What are we looking for?
The candidate we hire will embody PSI’s corporate values:
- Measurement: You use hard evidence to make decisions and guide your work. You set clear goalposts in advance and explain clearly if you need to move them.
- Pragmatism: You’ll strive to deliver the best possible result with the resources available. You won’t be paralyzed by a need to make things perfect.
- Honesty: You own your mistakes and are open about your shortcomings – it’s the only way you’ll learn and improve.
- Collaboration: You’ll quickly establish a mental map of whom you can rely on for what, on your team, at headquarters, and in our country offices – if you try to do it all yourself, you won’t succeed.
- Trust: You accept limits to your sphere of control and give colleagues the benefit of the doubt
- Commitment: You are in it for the long-haul and want to grow with the organization, just like PSI serves its consumers and partners with host-country governments through thick and thin
- 10-15 years operational experience with at least 5+ years in supply chain (procurement, demand and supply planning, inventory management), Fulfilment (customer service and logistics) and new product development/manufacturer engagement. Preferably in health care.
- Solid experience in Forecasting/Demand Planning, Inventory Control, Logistics/Warehousing, Engineering Operations or Project Management, preferably in the pharmaceutical/health care sector.
- Experience with process and system improvements required. Working proficiency with various software tools inclusive of Microsoft platforms, Forecasting, Order and Inventory Management Optimization, Capacity Planning and Warehouse Management (WMS).
- Project Management (CPM) and Lean or Six Sigma experience are a plus.
- Demonstrated experience driving efficiency and cost reduction, while ensuring quality and service standards are maintained
- Highly knowledgeable in the development and reporting of supply chain KPIs
- Well developed “coaching style” with well-practiced facilitation skills that engender confidence and transfer technical ability into country supply chain teams
- Extremely adept at building senior relationships with remote Leadership and Head Quarters functions (Enterprise, Operations, Finance, IT, Marketing)
Qualifications and Training
- Bachelor’s degree in Supply Chain Management, Business Management or closely related field (Desirable)
- CIPS or other relevant Supply Chain qualification
- Strong ERP and supply chain systems knowledge
- Lean or Six Sigma certification
- Regulatory training and trained in Good Distribution/Manufacturing Practice
- Proficient in English (essential) & French (strongly desirable).
- Resilient, flexible, positive, pragmatic attitude and can thrive in fast-paced, dynamic environments
- Passionate about our clients and strives to consistently meet and exceed expectations, putting the clients at the cent
- Actively seeks out feedback on performance (both results and behaviors) with a view to continuously learning and growing as a leader
- Willingness to travel up to 20-25% of the time to geographically challenging locations
PSI is an Equal Opportunity Employer and encourages applications from qualified individuals regardless of actual or perceived race, religion, color, sex, age, national origin, disability, sexual orientation, marital status, personal appearance, matriculation, political affiliation, family status or responsibilities, gender identity or expression, pregnancy, childbirth, related medical conditions or breastfeeding, genetic information, amnesty, veteran, special disabled veteran or uniform service member status or employment status.