|The Deputy Director supports the Regional Director in program implementation, administration, financial management, personnel evaluation and oversight, strategic planning and business development. The Deputy Director will also serve as acting Regional Director when required.|
|• Contributes to development of regional strategic plans. Supports overall strategic direction. Seeks out business development opportunities.
• Accountable to Regional Director for fiscal management of projects and adherence to contractual obligations.
• Cultivates relationship with peers, subordinates, funder community, chiefs of party, field offices, and consultants at large to advance awareness of IFES’ regional reputation and project success.
• Supports team environment, collaboration and consensus building across all departments at IFES.
• Supports management of resources to ensure competency in proposal development process. Ensures timely & competitive responses to RFAs and RFPs.
• Conducts performance evaluations of staff & supports recruitment.
• Contributes to development of staff and a high performance team. Exercises formal actions pertaining to employee relations.
• Responsible for completion of monthly/quarterly/annual reports.
• Represents the department at internal project and development meetings and externally to donors and partners at meetings and briefings.
• Works individually and with others in developing written pieces to raise IFES’ visibility as a thought leader.
• Other duties as assigned
POSITION SCOPE: Manage and perform highly technical work requiring ingenuity and capacity to evaluate and respond to new and changing issues. Oversee varied activities and processes to support effective project management and implementation. Collaborate with Regional Director in monitoring all aspects of project operations, business development, reporting and compliance. Leads project planning, monitoring and evaluation.
DECISION MAKING/PROBLEM SOLVING: Identify risk factors with potential to disrupt achievement of program/project goals. Analyze issues, problems or opportunities and propose appropriate courses of action, based on knowledge of professional principles and best practices. Participate in the development and implementation of strategies to track and mitigate risk and its potential impact.
FISCAL RESPONSIBILITY: Ensures the completion of department tasks in a timely manner and within the allocated budget. Ensures compliance with IFES, USAID or other donor rules and regulations, particularly with regard to fiscal management for department and regional projects. Authority to approve program or project expenses, contracts and purchases, subject to established controls and procedures.
RELATIONSHIPS: Manages and maintains collaborative working relationship with senior level stakeholders within and outside IFES to ensure timely and successful achievement of project goals and objectives. Represents IFES in global, regional, national and sub-national events and in international meetings, and at donor events and fundraising activities.
SUPERVISION EXERCISED: Department supervision in absence of Regional Director, Provides oversight and management of consultants and field experts.
|Education: Master’s degree in international politics, international development, or related field
Experience: Minimum of 10 years’ experience years in international development or related field or relevant progressive experience
Related Skills or Knowledge: Outstanding communicator, both verbally and in writing. Excellent presentation skills. Ability to manage high energy teams; prioritize and oversee multiple activities in a fluid and dynamic environment. Organized, effective time and resource manager. Experienced collaborator and contributor to successful business development efforts; including experience with USAID grant and contract proposals, regulations, and procedures. Experienced and successful business development leader with major bi-lateral donors. Highly experienced with program/budget development, management, and oversight at regional level. Field experience preferred.
LANGUAGE SKILLS: English required. Proficiency in another language (Spanish, French, Arabic) strongly desired.
TRAVEL: Travel required up to 50% of time
PHYSICAL REQUIREMENTS/WORK ENVIRONMENT:
|Country:||-- United States|