Job title: Deputy Country Representative – Finance and Operations
Department: Anglophone Market Based in Lilongwe
Reports to the Country Representative
Who we are
With over 45 years of experience, working in over 60 countries, Population Services International (PSI) is the world’s leading non-profit social marketing organization. PSI is reimagining healthcare, by putting the consumer at the center, and wherever possible – bringing care to the front door. We are working to fix market failures, shape future health markets and shift policy and funding to better support consumer empowered healthcare.
There are over 7,000 “PSIers” around the world. We are a diverse group of entrepreneurial development professionals with a wide range of backgrounds and experience. All with unique skills that we bring to the critically important work that we do.
We are looking for a Deputy Country Representative – Finance and Operations to provide overall technical and management leadership, guidance and oversight of the organization’s operations, finance, grants and contract’s portfolio. She/ he will be the custodian of financial, accounting, IT, branch operations, supply chain, grants and contracts process to ensure PSI Malawi is compliant with donor and PSI global finance, budget, procurement, grants and compliance standards and that the processes enable PSI Malawi achieves its strategic priorities. In addition, to strong technical knowledge and experience, the DCR-Operations will be a key leader within the organization whose leadership style should reflect high Emotional Intelligence (EI) and their ability to lead while nurturing talent. The DCR-Operations will be working closely with the CR and DCR- Programs.
Sound like you? Read on.
Strategic leadership and oversight role:
- Provide direction and strategic leadership to the organization’s finance, IT, supply chain, branch operations, grants and contracts portfolio to ensure that operational processes efficiently support program
- Ensure that the finance, IT, supply chain, grants and contracts systems and process align with PSI Malawi’s Strategic Plan and
- Ensure that PSI Malawi policies and procedures align with PSI Global Services Finance, Procurement, Grants and Contracts policies, procedures and requirements, and proactively identify and manage any potential conflicts to ensure compliance with the necessary
- Design and maintain internal systems that ensure accurate and timely reporting on financial performance of the
- Consistently demonstrate a leadership style that reflects high emotional intelligence, nurtures talent and reinforces the right tone at the top of the
- Promote and demonstrate an ethical environment, in line with PSI’s values of honesty and acting with
- Supervise and provide leadership to PSI Malawi’s Finance, IT, Supply Chain, Branch Operations and Sub-Awards
Financial reporting and policies:
- Establish and/or refine and disseminate policies, systems and practices for effective management, procurement, disbursement and accounting for all financial resources in line with PSI Global accounting policies, funder requirements and local law where required;
- Work closely with the Director of Finance, Head of Finance and Finance Managers to prepare submission of monthly financial packages to PSI/W and to ensure complete, accurate and timely recording and reporting of transactions;
- Coordinate with Programs and co-lead monthly review and analysis of financial reports and reconciliations with attention to how resources can be better allocated to achieve program objectives, Budgeting, Financial Analysis and Donor compliance;
Budgeting, Financial analysis, Compliance:
- Lead the annual operating budgeting process;
- Validate monthly common cost analysis and update cost ratios to ensure each donor bears the correct proportion of common costs in line with PSI’s global policy
- Manage the common direct cost budget to ensure efficient and effective use of donor funds to support common direct costs
- Develop, track and review PSI Malawi consolidated budget and departmental budgets in consultation with budget holders and finance team and conduct detailed activity status review and give input to DC and budget holders
- Prepare and track donor Prepare modifications and Activity realignments as necessary;
- Monitor performance and efficiency of on-going Donor projects by analyzing country/project monthly spend rates and highlighting possible problem
Technical Support, Audits and Legal:
- Support preparation and successful conclusion of internal and external auditing activities for the CR, PSI/W and for the donor annual audit
- Ensure that the PSI Malawi team responds to audit requests on a timely basis, and provides clear, complete and accurate information to auditors
- Review management comments for audit reports and ensure appropriate action is taken to correct audit
- In collaboration with PSI Legal Counsel, minimize legal risk to the organization and engage any legal issues confronting the organization
- Review and test controls to ensure PSI Malawi systems are compliant with PSI Global Services Finance, Grants and Contracts policies, donor requirements, as well as, Malawi laws
- Ensure prompt preparation and submission of statutory returns, donor reports and tax
Operational Management and Administration:
- Ensure branch operations, IT, procurement, warehouse and fleet management activities are delivered efficiently;
- Coordinate with Director of Operations to establish and support suitable accounting, IT, Fleet Management and general administrative systems and personnel in all PSI Malawi field
- Work with Head of Supply Chain to ensure that PSI Malawi’s procurement system is adequately updated in line with PSI Global Procurement Manual and changing funder
- Ensure adherence to PSI Global Responsibilities Matrix on Approval limits for Procurement of Goods and Services;
- Conduct quarterly oversight and supervision visits to field offices to review the quality of business operations systems and activities and provide support, where necessary;
- Lead the development and negotiation of sub-award agreements, workplans and budgets
- Coordinate monthly reporting process from sub-awardees and joint programmatic and financial reports reviews, ensuring that costs are in line with the progress on delivery and implementation and that budget variances explanations are
- Conduct regular sub-award visits / evaluations to verify adherence to contract terms and gauge internal control systems to obtain confidence in the reports submitted to PSI
- Design and implement a proactive, rigorous, risk-based and effective sub-awardee monitoring system and
- Contribute to designing the capacity building plan for sub-awardees in financial management, internal control systems, budgeting and forecasting, technical programs implementation and coordinate the provision of trainings when needed
- Lead sub-award closeout in accordance with PSI Malawi policies and procedures
What are we looking for?
The candidate we hire will embody PSI’s corporate values:
Collaboration: You can work independently, but thrive within a team.
Trust: You trust that your manager and team will have your back and care deeply about gaining that same trust from your teammates
Pragmatism: You dive in and maintain momentum even when things are ambiguous and you don’t let perfect get in the way of good enough.
Honesty: You aren’t afraid to speak up and speak your mind.
Measurement: You set clear and challenging goals and hold yourself accountable to driving measurable results.
Commitment: You’re independent and a free thinker, but you’re ready to buy in to the direction of the team and commit to its success.
- Postgraduate Degree in Finance, Accounting or Bachelor’s Degree in Accounting and Postgraduate degree in Management, MBA
- Professional qualifications like ACCA, CIMA
- At least 10 years post qualifications experience in general management, financial management and experience with donor-funded projects at a senior management
- At least 5 years of supervisory experience of professionals in grants, operations, finance and sub-award
- Working knowledge of integrated, accrual-basis accounting systems such as QuickBooks Enterprise, Lawson, or another Advanced computer skills, with strong Office 365 skills preferred
- Have demonstrated grants management experience and in-depth understanding of current donor rules and Experience working with DfID, USAID. KfW and other international donors.
- At least 3 years of experience living or working in a developing country and working experience in Southern and Eastern Africa will be an added
- High level of written and verbal communication Written and verbal fluency in English required.
- Exceptional quantitative data analysis
- High emotional intelligence, people management and interpersonal skills; High level staff management and leadership
- Ability to work in a diverse cultural environment with multiple stakeholders (including Ministry of Health authorities (MoH), beneficiaries, implementing partners, program staff, donors)
What will get us excited (personal and management characteristics)?
- Successful candidates will be customer service oriented, exhibit excellent communication and interpersonal skills; have proven problem solving ability; be able to work efficiently and quickly under pressure; be able to prioritize and perform multiple tasks; and have the ability to work with minimal supervision and follow through on Preference will be given to candidates with demonstrated experience in international health and development issues, and technology innovation.
- Be self-starter, effective team player and demonstrated verifiable result-oriented track Act with urgency for continuous improvement and with a bias towards action; promote development of breakthrough solutions; embrace and advocate innovations that improve results; aggressively promotes the need for breakthrough improvements.
- Acting with Long Term Perspective: Take actions today to build a strong foundation for future success, identify and take advantage of emerging opportunities, keep PSI Malawi’s long-term goals in mind when addressing short-term issues and
- Adaptive and flexible in approaches to work, comfortable with changing approach based on the evidence of what
- Passionate about learning, documenting and sharing what does and doesn’t work
- Proven ability to develop routines to manage large workloads and organize work efficiently
- Ability and desire to coach and transfer learning capacity to partners and program
- References will be required
- The successful candidate will be required to pass a background check
PSI is an Equal Opportunity Employer and encourages applications from qualified individuals regardless of actual or perceived race, religion, color, sex, age, national origin, disability, sexual orientation, marital status, personal appearance, matriculation, political affiliation, family status or responsibilities, gender identity or expression, pregnancy, childbirth, related medical conditions or breastfeeding, genetic information, amnesty, veteran, special disabled veteran or uniform service member status or employment status.