Objectives and Duties:
The Deputy Chief of Party will oversee two Portfolio Directors for Regional and AGOA trade, and Investment Promotion as well as five Country Representatives (Zambia, Malawi, Mozambique, Eswatini/Lesotho, and Namibia), as well as serve as Chief of Party in Chief of Party’s absence. The Deputy Chief of Party will:
- Work closely with COP and SATIH team to ensure an integrated approach in producing deliverables as outlined in the Work Plan and contract;
- Oversee SATIH country representatives and project stakeholders: USAID bilateral mission staff and other USG partners, national government staff, business and trade associations, and other private sector partners;
- Provide input and oversight in the quality delivery of country-level initiatives and portfolio of activities, including trade shows/fairs, forums, and other high-visibility events;
- Recommend to the Chief of Party additional methods of identifying, assessing, and improving program impact;
- Evaluate on an ongoing basis the performance of program activities and work with the COP and teams for continuous improvement Working closely with Directors of Operations, MEL, and Strategic Communications and serve as the Chief of Party’s advisor on all trade and investment matters and compliance matters with partners, USAID and subcontractors;
- Coordinate the identification, approval, hiring, and mobilization of short-term consultants;
- Coordinate with senior leadership team including directors and experts;
- Oversee country representatives and offices including staff and consultants and collaboration with USAID bilateral projects and USAID missions;
- Design and lead strategies with the private sector to improve the enabling environment for agriculture, including providing support to partner-country governments, regional trade associations, and regional economic communities, to harmonize trade, facilitate harmonization and implementation of science-based food safety and nutrition standards, and support improved regulations that support trading of commodities;
- Oversee technical assistance to improve the regional competitiveness of commodities throughout the regional value chains, including facilitating commercial partnerships, accessing real time market information systems and ICT to promote regional trade and increase profitability for farmers and private-sector businesses;
- Work with producers and enterprises across Southern Africa to develop their capacity to identify and respond to regional and international business opportunities in the potential value chains;
- Facilitate strategic, commercially viable partnerships between value chain actors;
- Facilitate private sector engagement and investment among various levels of target value chains including but not limited to producer, processor, wholesaler and exporter levels; and
- Serve as the Chief of Party as needed.
- At least 15 years of experience, preferably some of which is in the SADC region, in trade, AGOA, and agricultural value chain strengthening on donor-funded projects working with the private sector;
- Demonstrated success using value chain facilitation or market systems approaches which led to greater competitiveness and inclusiveness in markets;
- Demonstrated ability to establish productive relationships with senior government officials, the business community, civil society, and international donors;
- Excellent written and oral communications skills in English; and
- Graduate degree in a relevant discipline, such as business, economics, or law is preferred; Bachelor’s degree in a relevant discipline is required.
- The Deputy Chief of Party will supervise the Portfolio Directors for regional trade, AGOA, and Investment promotion, and Country Representatives (Zambia, Malawi, Mozambique, Eswatini/Lesotho, and Namibia)
Base of Operations:
- Pretoria, South Africa
- The Deputy Chief of Party will report to the Chief of Party.
Applications for this position will be reviewed on a rolling basis. The final deadline for submission is December 20, 2019.
Candidates with South African citizenship or permanent residency are encouraged to apply.