DEPUTY CHIEF OF PARTY
Save the Children is the world’s leading independent organisation for children. We work in 120 countries. We save children’s lives; we fight for their rights; we help them fulfil their potential.
We work together, with our partners, to inspire breakthroughs in the way the world treats children and to achieve immediate and lasting change in their lives.
We have over two million supporters worldwide and raised 1.9 billion dollars last year to reach more children than ever before, through programmes in health, nutrition, education, protection and child rights, also in times of humanitarian crises.
Following a major transition, our international programmes are now delivered through a merged operation with 15,000 staff, managed through seven regional hubs and reporting to a relatively small, central office. We’re changing to become more efficient, more aligned, a better partner, a stronger advocate, a magnet for world-class people and relevant for the 21st century.
Save the Children is currently recruiting for upcoming USAID- funded education program in Somalia/SL, focusing on early grade reading, community mobilization for increase access to and delivery of education, capacity building of education sector actors like Government, and increasing access for girls and other vulnerable populations. The Deputy Chief of Party (DCOP) will be accountable for supporting the strategic vision and overall leadership to the project team and will be managing the direct on the ground implementation, technical assistance and implementation methodology. S/he will also oversee the relationships with partners and sub-grantees and will be implementing activities in accordance with applicable laws and regulations, ensuring that all contractual requirements of the award are met. The DCOP will support the preparation and submissions of technical and financial reports requested by USAID/donor and will help to coordinate assistance with key governmental counterparts and other critical stakeholders.
Key for success in this role is the ability to build staff capacity for program activities, ensure that monitoring and evaluation mechanisms are in place to improve and measure its direct impact, represent Save the Children in national fora and share best practices regarding Save the Children’s experiences in increasing access to and quality of basic education. The DCOP will also be responsible for coordinating the timely preparation of implementation plans and oversee their effective implementation.
Contract Duration: 12 months
Qualifications and Experience
- Master’s Degree in education or related field in social science is a requirement.
- Minimum of seven years’ experience with progressively increasing responsibility in managing and implementing complex Education and capacity building programming in fragile states with projects of similar size and scope.
- At least five years of proven experience in managing and supervising a technical team and in project design.
- Demonstrated ability to work effectively with government representatives, for-profit private sector entities, local community organizations, donors, consortium members and other stakeholders, at national and sub-national levels.
- Demonstrated hands-on experience in building Ministry of Education and devolved structures capacity in developing and realizing education strategic plans to provide quality Education services
- Demonstrated experience of supervising and mentoring technical staff
- Demonstrated in-depth understanding of the dynamics in Somalia Education system
- Proven track record managing a project team composed of several technical experts and fostering team work
- Strong management skills, leadership qualities, professional reputation, ability to create synergies where applicable, interpersonal skills, and written and oral presentation skills to fulfil the diverse technical and managerial requirements of the project description.
- Excellent oral and written communication skills in English (professional level proficiency) and Somali language is mandatory
- Knowledge for Somalia language a must
- Female candidates are encouraged to apply
- Experience in, and/or knowledge of Somalia/land or the region is preferred
- Familiarity with USAID or other USG administrative, management and reporting procedures and systems
Please apply in English saving your CV and covering letter as a single document, including your salary expectations for this role. To see a full a job description, please visit our website at http://www.savethechildren.net/jobs
We need to keep children safe so our selection process reflects our commitment to the protection of children from abuse. Employment is subject to our Child protection standards including background checks and adherence to our Child Safeguarding Policy
Save the Children is an equal opportunity employer and seeks to employ and assign the best qualified talent.
Save the Children International does not charge any kind of fee at whichever stage of the recruitment process and does not act through recruitment agents