PATH seeks a Deputy Chief of Party (DCOP) for the upcoming multi-year USAID-funded “Surveillance for Malaria Elimination” (S4ME) activity in Ethiopia. The S4ME activity will support Ethiopia’s NMEP to achieve their goals and objectives of sub-national malaria elimination, particularly to attain near zero malaria deaths and eliminate malaria in selected low transmission areas.
PATH works to accelerate health equity by bringing together public institutions, businesses, social enterprises, and investors to solve the most pressing health challenges. PATH implements innovative, sustainable health solutions that align with the country’s needs and priorities, empowering millions to transform their own health.
The DCOP will be responsible for supporting the Chief of Party (COP) with technical leadership of the project. The DCOP will report directly to the Chief of Party (COP) and will take a leadership role in ensuring quality technical implementation and ensure the Activity meets stated goals and reporting requirements. S/he willsupport the COP in coordination among USAID/PMI and key stakeholders and other implementing partners and will interact with numerous Ethiopian institutions and representatives on technical issues of the project.
Position is contingent upon award to PATH.
- Provide overall technical backstop for the project.
- Function as primary technical liaison for subcontractor support.
- Provide technical support to the FMOH through NMEP on malaria program implementation and actively participate in malaria-related technical working groups.
- Maintain current technical knowledge on malaria, associated data and other related public health topics to enable provision of best practices to inform malaria strategy development.
- Focusing at regional, state, zone, and district levels, establish and maintain close working relationships with relevant offices of the Government of Ethiopia and other organizations, the US Government, other donor agencies, and nongovernmental local working in Ethiopia.
- Work with other relevant departments within the FMOH to facilitate the integration of malaria elimination activities into the broader primary health care systems.
- Supervise PATH technical consultants and oversee their input to program activities.
- Work with the FMOH to actively use data for decision-making and to identify how malaria control activities and impact can be sustained over time.
- Assist the Chief of Party in developing annual work plans, budgets, and performance reports.
- Support the COP in creating smooth partnership and coordination with other relevant USAID funded projects in the country.
- Build capacity on use of surveillance as an intervention.
- Build capacity on use of surveillance and other health data for malaria risk mapping at national and sub-national levels.
- Consult & provide technical assistance on evidence-based targeting of high-risk areas in the West with appropriate antimalarial interventions.
- Monitor the impact of innovative interventions in the high burden areas in the West with the aim of adapting strategies to prevent parasite bridging to the midland and highland fringe of Ethiopia for enhanced impact on the malaria elimination agenda.
- Contribute to documentation and publication of best practices on surveillance for malaria elimination and avail for targeting interventions at national and subnational levels.
- Take on duties as may be assigned by Chief of Party and other senior partners.