Dean, Academic and Research Affairs UGHE-Haiti
The Dean of Academic and Research Affairs is the Chief Academic and Research Officer of UGHE-Haiti, responsible for all academic- and Research- related affairs and leadership at the UGHE Haiti campus. All Directors, Chairs and Heads of all academic and research units report directly to the Dean. The Dean is the primary advocate for the faculty and is responsible for oversight of all academic and research policies, direction, programs and the services that support them. The Dean reports directly to the Deputy Vice Chancellor of Academic and Research Affairs at UGHE in strict alignment with the UGHE policies and practices. The Dean works collaboratively with key administrative leaders, including the Director of Operations at UGHE-Haiti and the Executive Director of Zanmi Lasante (ZL).
- Establishes and directs the academic units of UGHE-Haiti by working directly with management and the University community
- Works with UGHE team to ensure the University achieves its strategic academic goals, vision and mission
- Ensures program excellence and innovation for on-going and new activities of UGHE-Haiti
- Leads academic and research strategic planning, policy development, curriculum, and quality assurance.
- Supports UGHE leadership in grant writing, fundraising, partnership development and community engagement
- Facilitates interdisciplinary collaboration between UGHE-Haiti units/departments
- Oversees recruitment process of all academic affairs and research department employees at UGHE-Haiti
- Responsible for leading formal accreditation processes by local, regional, and international bodies
- Oversees undergraduate and graduate health sciences education, continuing education, including providing coordinated oversight of the curriculum, assessment of learning outcomes, and instruction at UGHE-Haiti
- Collaborates on the design and implementation of innovative strategies affecting the future of higher education, including online learning and other technologies to promote student access and success
- Chair of the academic council and member of the UGHE-Haiti senate
- Leads general development and direction of research at UGHE- Haiti
- Works in close partnership with the UGHE Director of Institute of Global Health Equity Research
- Supports UGHE-Haiti’s IRB and maintains its registration with DHHS
- Presides over the UGHE-Haiti faculty
- Approves and signs offer letters for faculty at UGHE-Haiti
- Adjudicates faculty grievances in conjunction with Human Resources Dept. and UGHE-Haiti legal counsel
- Promotes diversity of faculty, students and senior administrative staff at UGHE-Haiti
- Serves as a member on external and internal committees
- Coordinates the use and assignment of UGHE-Haiti academic and research space
- Responsible for the development of the UGHE-Haiti academic and research annual plan and budget
- Collaborates with UGHE-Haiti senior team to develop long term planning and budget priorities that promote academic and research success
- Approves budgets for all academic and research departments at UGHE-Haiti
- PhD. or other terminal degree in an academic discipline from an accredited institution
- Five years or more experience in curriculum, instruction, and assessment of learning outcomes
- Five years or more experience in the field of research
- Five years or more living and working in Haiti
- Five years or more of higher education leadership
- Additional qualification in health education (Mmed Ed or PhD) is preferred
Skills and Experience
- Ten years or more of higher education teaching experience
- Experience with operational and financial management of a complex academic organization
- Demonstrates excellence in teaching and/or scholarship suitable for appointment at UGHE-Haiti
- Possesses teaching skills that foster leadership and is a strong, innovative and creative administrator
- Strategic academic planning, policy development, budgeting, and academic personnel administration in a higher education setting
- Proven success in leading accreditation processes
- Exhibits commitment to the principles of diversity, fairness, and integrity
- Understands current issues and future directions in higher education
- Ability to make difficult decisions in a timely manner and to motivate others
- Strong interpersonal and critical problem-solving skills
- Ability to represent UGHE-Haiti locally, regionally, nationally, and internationally
- Superb oral and written communication skills
- Capacity to forge and nurture partnerships with private, non-profit, and government entities as well as other institutions of higher education
Partners In Health (PIH) is an international health organization relentlessly committed to improving the health of the poor and marginalized. PIH partners with local governments to build local capacity and works closely with impoverished communities to deliver high-quality health care, address the root causes of illness, train providers, advance research, and advocate for global policy change.
PIH currently has implementation programs in Haiti, Rwanda, Lesotho, Liberia, Kazakhstan, Malawi, Peru, Mexico, Russia, Sierra Leone and Navajo Nation. Through our partnership with Harvard Medical School and the Brigham and Women’s Hospital, we support a wide range of programs in dozens of other countries around the world.
Zanmi Lasante (ZL), as PIH is known locally in Haiti, is a health care organization committed to improving the health of the poor and marginalized in Haiti. ZL partners with local communities and the Haitian Ministry of Health (MSPP) to deliver high-quality public health care, addressing the root causes of illness, train the health care workforce, advance research, and advocate for increased national investments in the health system. ZL’s philosophy is rooted in sustainability and capacity building with the idea that the most powerful means of providing rights-based health care to patients is through leveraging a country’s own public health system.
Today, with a team of over 6,200 Haitians, including over 2,000 Community Health Workers (CHWs), ZL supports 12 public health facilities and is one of the largest health care providers in Central Haiti, serving an immediate catchment area of 1.3 million across the Central Plateau and the lower Artibonite.
Partners In Health (PIH) is committed to the fundamental principle of equal opportunity and equal treatment for every prospective and current employee. It is the policy of PIH not to discriminate on the basis of race, color, national or ethnic origin, ancestry, age, religion, creed, disability, sex and gender, sexual orientation, gender identity and/or expression, military or veteran status, or any other characteristic protected under applicable federal, state or local law. PIH works in and with a number of governments in and outside the U.S., and to the extent applicable, this statement is intended to incorporate the prohibition of any unlawful discrimination covered by applicable laws in such countries, states and municipalities.