PATH is a global organization that works to accelerate health equity by bringing together public institutions, businesses, social enterprises, and investors to solve the world’s most pressing health challenges. With expertise in science, health, finance, technology, advocacy, and dozens of other specialties, PATH develops and scales innovative solutions—including vaccines, drugs, devices, diagnostics, and approaches to strengthening health systems worldwide.
The Geshiyaro Project aims to test the feasibility of breaking the transmission of soil transmitted helminths and schistosomiasis (STH/SCH) in Wolaita zone, Ethiopia. The primary interventions include provision of safe water, sanitation, and hygiene (WASH), expanded mass drug administration (MDA), and behavior change communication (BCC). The Geshiyaro Project is being implemented in partnership with the Federal Ministry of Health (FMOH) and World Vision, with evaluation support from the London Centre for Neglected Tropical Disease Research, Simprints, and the Ethiopian Public Health Institute (EPHI).
As data from these interventions are collected, there is a need to present the data in dashboards to inform stakeholders of progress and to gain insights from the work. To that end, the project is hiring a Data Visualization Exper to work with the MOH (EPHI) staff to build interactive dashboards covering the project’s interventions. The dashboards will be built in Tableau and the Data Visualization Expert will also train MOH staff in how to develop dashboards in Tableau. These two activities–building the dashboards and training MOH staff–will be conducted as an integrated process rather than separate exercises. In other words, EPHI staff will be trained over time as they work with the Data Visualization Expert to build the required dashboards. The Data Visualization Expert must be able to design useful working sessions and adapt as necessary to bring the EPHI staff along in this joint endeavor of building dashboards and building staff capacity. It promises to be a rewarding journey.
Key Duties and Responsibilities
- Develop and facilitate workshops to teach Tableau skills to Ministry of Health (MOH) staff by helping them build interactive data visualizations to meet project requirements
- Identify priority indicators and relevant targets in collaboration with PATH and MOH staff to create compelling visualizations that ‘tell the story’ of the project progress with data
- Train MOH staff on dashboard maintenance and deployment to Tableau Server
- Train dashboard consumers in how to use and interpret the data visualizations produced by MOH staff
- Develop data preparation (ETL) workflows in Alteryx for cleaning and structuring data as needed to support the data visualizations
- Define useful data schemas as needed in various stages of the data pipeline (e.g., tidy/normalized, tall vs. wide, hierarchies, various de-normalized schemas as appropriate)
- Foster a culture of data quality and clear data definition to ensure project success
- Create and maintain core metadata (data model and data dictionary)
- Provide project updates as requested to the MOH, the Children’s Investment Fund Foundation (donor), or other key stakeholders