PATH is a global nonprofit dedicated to achieving health equity. With more than 40 years of experience forging multisector partnerships, and with expertise in science, economics, technology, advocacy, and dozens of other specialties, PATH develops and scales up innovative solutions to the world’s most pressing health challenges. PATH’s Global Health Security Initiative (GHSI) leads several projects that serve the Global Health Security Agenda and aim to strengthen global capacity to prevent, detect, and respond to infectious disease threats.
PATH Senegal is seeking a Data Manager to provide technical data management expertise for a USAID project called Discovery and Exploration of Emerging Pathogens – Viral Zoonoses (DEEP VZN). DEEP VZN will work with partner countries and the global community to build better preparedness for future global health threats. DEEP VZN is a critical next step in the evolution of USAID’s work to understand and address the risks posed by zoonotic diseases that can be transmitted from animals to humans. DEEP VZN will work in targeted countries in Africa, Asia, and Latin America that have both a high risk for viral spillover and the capacity to safely conduct viral discovery. Identifying and understanding unknown viral threats will help these countries—and the world—be better prepared to detect, prevent, and respond to future biological threats.
The Data Manager will provide technical data management expertise across consortium partners to support the DEEP VZN project. The Data Manager will contribute to database development, management, and maintenance by identifying and solving database requirements and data modules for the Client Management Information System. The Data Manager will not only ensure that the MS SQL back end is operational and highly available and troubleshoot any database problems, including breakage and corruption of base tables, wrong formats, data types, and records, but will also do pre-analysis data management (data exportation, importation, frequencies as necessary, data quality assurance, and improvement). This position will be based in Dakar, Senegal under the supervision and direction of the Team Lead with technical guidance and support from technical experts from PATH Headquarters and in collaboration with consortium data management representatives. They will also work closely with the DEEP VZN headquarters Monitoring Evaluation and Learning Lead.
- Implements the plan and identify all sources of data
- Formulates, implements, and supports proper data collection policies and procedures
- Develops solutions that utilize the highest standards of analytical rigor and data integrity
- Trains and educates project staff on data collection tools and equipment
- Establishes data quality standards and works with project staff to ensure standards are met
Data System Management
- Ensures data system is operational, and provides access to country team and partners to submit data
- Assists country team with set-up, testing, and implementation of data collection software
- Performs and documents procedures for data preparation including data cleaning, standardization, and analysis
- Partners with HQ MEL and technical staff to develop data collection and evaluation methodologies, including format design, project criteria and requirements, data compilation, relevancy, and usage
- Responsible for ensuring that data privacy and security protocols are in place, understood, and followed at global, regional and country levels
Data Reporting and Analysis
- Prepares monthly, quarterly, and annual data reports for distribution, and develops ad-hoc reports, as necessary
- Consults with staff on data coding problems and assists in developing means to correct the problems
- Serves as technical lead to the Data Management component of the project in Senegal
- Identifies issues/challenges and develop strategies for effective implementation of related work plan activities
- Supports the HQ and country team lead as needed