We are International Business & Technical Consultants, Inc. (IBTCI), a global consulting firm working some of the most complex and impactful development problems worldwide. We work on programs that help government agencies, private companies and donors improve the lives of others. At IBTCI you will be part of an inclusive team that provides expert solutions and advice to understand and address critical problems while giving you opportunities to succeed and grow.
Job Title: Data Management Officer (DMO)
Department/Location: Amman, Jordan
Reports To: Deputy Chief of Party (DCOP)
Type: Regular Full-Time
Overview: IBTCI is seeking an experienced Data Management Officer (DMO) to support the Yemen Monitoring, Evaluation, and Learning Project (YMELP), a USAID third-party monitoring (TPM) and verification contract based in Amman, Jordan. The purpose of this contract is to monitor USAID humanitarian assistance and verify and provide independent confirmation of humanitarian aid programs in Yemen.
Essential Duties/Tasks and Responsibilities:
- Design, adapt and maintain a Data Management System (DMS) in which YMELP data is accessed, managed, and analyzed. The DMS can take the form of, but is not limited to MS Excel, ESRI (ArcGIS) or MS Access, in combination with other data management/visualization software, including but not limited to Tableau, Power BI, QGIS, ESRI extensions within ArcGIS, etc.;
- Demonstrate a proactive role in the collection, validation, verification, and management of YMELP data within the DMS;
- Unify data from various sources and humanitarian and development sectors that are often represented in different formats, while ensuring project data is stored, maintained, shared, and presented according to USAID responsible data guidelines;
- Review data being entered in the DMS regularly in order to locate and address issues with data entry and/or integrity. Provide data cleaning services as necessary;
- Undertake data collection and survey initiatives (monitoring data and geo-location data). Design data collection and survey tools. Review, analyze, and interpret survey responses including the identification of survey limitations/problems/issues and prepare action plans and recommendations.
Data Analysis, Visualizations, and Deliverables
- Review, analyze, and interpret YMELP data and information. Proactively identify and address problems/issues within datasets and provide recommendations;
- Demonstrate a proactive role in the accurate distillation and analysis of quantitative and qualitative project data, the generation and presentation of analytical summaries and visual deliverables (tables, figures, graphs, data visualizations, and spatial/cartographic products) from the DMS and other sources at regular intervals, for YMELP staff to fulfill reporting requirements;
- Ensure the design and production of tables, figures, graphs, data visualizations and spatial/cartographic products are standardized across project efforts, are of high quality, and adhere to USAID standards;
- Provide quality control checks of data and/or provide revisions to data/information and visuals presented within YMELP deliverables, as requested by the YMELP Chief of Party (COP) and DCOP;
Collaboration, Learning, and Adapting
- Collaborate with technical and non-technical project staff to solve problems and convey key messages using data visualization approaches, techniques, and methods that improve the monitoring and evaluation of USAID activities;
- In close coordination with the YMELP COP and DCOP, adapt the DMS and associated data processes, ensuring data safeguards are in place and that deliverables are valid, consistent, reliable, timely, and presented with sufficient detail;
- Provide technical support, training, and recommendations related to data/information management best practices to the YMELP project, as necessary;
- Develop data quality control guidelines, best practices, standard operating procedures, and lessons learned, while documenting adaptive measures taken within data collection processes, the review and cleaning of data, its management, analysis, and presentation;
- Work closely with the YMELP COP and DCOP to communicate project results within project deliverables, improving project capacities in data collection, verification and validation, data management and analysis techniques; and,
- Promote the analysis of, and present opportunities for learning from YMELP results and findings. Identify opportunities for improvement associated with and make recommendations for the development and strengthening of project tools and processes.
Other Tasks as Assigned
- Perform other duties and tasks as assigned by the DCOP and/or COP.
Preferred Knowledge, Skills and Abilities:
- Excellent qualitative and quantitative data handling and analysis skills are essential, as well as a general knowledge of statistical, and monitoring and evaluation principles;
- Experience in the analysis and presentation of sex and age disaggregated data (SADD) across humanitarian and development sectors and geographic regions;
- Possess excellent communication skills and produce solution-focused deliverables;
- Exhibit motivation and self-starter qualities, and support the YMELP COP and DCOP with limited oversight and direction;
- Possess strong interpersonal and collaboration skills – strong oral, written communication, and presentation skills, as evidenced by publications or cover letter;
- Possess exceptional analytical and problem-solving skills; and,
- Demonstrate the ability to plan, prioritize, produce, and deliver high-quality results, while exercising independent judgement, across a variety of tasks on time.
- Seven years of professional-level experience in database development, design, and management;
- Previous experience in the creation of data-driven deliverables and their presentation, preferably within a USAID project setting;
- Previous experience in humanitarian aid and development projects under USAID is preferable;
- Advanced experience with data analysis and data visualization packages and tools, including but not limited to SAS, Excel, SPSS, MatLab/R, etc.;
- Advanced experience with data visualization packages and tools, including but not limited to Tableau, Power BI, MS SmartArt, Lucidchart, Adobe CS 5 Suite including Illustrator, Photoshop, InDesign, and Flash, etc.;
- Excellent MS Word and MS Excel skills are essential; and,
- Excellent command of English and Arabic.
Education: Master’s degree is preferred, with specialized skills in computer and information sciences, Geographic Information Systems (GIS), graphic design, statistics, data visualization, media arts and sciences, or equivalent.
Working Environment: Work is typically performed in an office environment.
Physical Requirements: This is largely a sedentary position that requires the ability to speak, hear, see, and lift small objects up to 20 lbs. This position requires the incumbent to be mobile and agile at a moment’s notice in case of an emergency.
Supervisory Responsibility: This position may have supervisory responsibilities.
Work Authorization: Candidate must be authorized to work in Jordan.
About the Organization:
IBTCI has been in business since 1987. We specialize in Monitoring, Evaluation, Research & Learning (MERL), Institutional Support (IS), Financial & Risk Management (FRM), Supply Chain Management & Procurement (SCMP); Social & Behavior Change (SBC) and Capacity Building. We provide these services across many sectors including, but not limited to, agriculture, resilience & food security, conflict & crisis, democracy & governance, economic growth & trade, education, energy & Infrastructure, environment & climate change, global health & WASH and humanitarian and disaster assistance. At IBTCI, our colleagues are encouraged to collaborate and be part of the solution while getting the tools and guidance needed to grow and support our clients’ missions.
Please note this job description is not designed to cover or contain a comprehensive listing of activities, duties or responsibilities that are required of the employee for this job. Duties, responsibilities and activities may change at any time with or without notice.
IBTCI is committed to a policy of equal employment opportunity for all persons without regard to race, color, religion, sex, gender identification, age, marital status, disability, sexual orientation, national origin, disabled veteran or Vietnam-era veteran, or any other classification protected by applicable anti-discrimination laws. We prohibit and do not tolerate any form of discrimination or harassment. VEVRAA Federal Contractor.
If you are an applicant with a disability that requires a reasonable accommodation to complete any part of the application process or are limited in the ability, or unable to use the online application system and need an alternative method for applying, you may contact the Talent Acquisition team at TalentAcquisition@ibtci.com (Do not send your resume to this account, for consideration please apply in our career page).