About the Opportunity
Internews seeks a Data and Learning Officer to join the Knowledge and Learning team as we expand key initiatives to improve virtual learning and data collection across the organization. Reporting to the Director of Knowledge and Learning, the Data and Learning Officer will bring a unique set of skills in virtual learning, organizational change, and database management.
We have selected a highly customizable database solution to build out Program Insights Database. The system will be designed throughout the rest of 2020 and built in the first quarter of 2021 in our Salesforce environment by external consultants. The Data and Learning Officer will be responsible for the successful roll-out and adoption of the database once built, serving as the focal point for all Internews program teams as they begin to incorporate their monitoring, evaluation, and partner data into this new platform. A successful candidate will need to be equally comfortable working with people and with data fields.
We are also working to refine our approach to virtual learning, and the Data and Learning Officer will drive the initiative to contract and build a learning management system (LMS) and establish guidance for developing engaging online courses. We are looking for a candidate with experience in facilitating online trainings and employing instructional design practices that have a focus on adult learning.
You’re an ideal candidate if you are passionate about creating engaging learning opportunities in digital space, and bring experience managing data from diverse sources and engaging people to drive a data-driven culture.
The Director of Knowledge and Learning works in the Eastern time zone, and a candidate residing in UTC +2 to UTC -9 is preferred. This role will function remotely.
CLOSING DATE: 9 October 2020
Our Commitment to Fostering a Culture of Belonging
We are an organization of dynamic, mission-driven individuals who are passionate about our core values and about supporting positive change in the world. We pride ourselves on our commitment to innovation and flexibility. We believe that diverse teams are strong teams and work to support an ethic of belonging, dignity, and justice for all people. Our current team includes a mix of genders, parents, and non-parents, and people of multiple races, nationalities, ages, sexual orientations and socio-economic backgrounds. We are EEO employer and encourage candidates of all races, genders, ages, orientations, ethnicities, and national origins to apply, and welcome those with alternative backgrounds and experiences.
Key Responsibilities include the following:
Implement the Program Insights Database
- Participate in scoping and design exercise to influence the build of the database, working with the Director of Knowledge and Learning to balance user requirements with system constraints;
- Strategically engage program teams to roll out the database, evaluating the entire portfolio of projects and devising a phased approach to database adoption;
- Serve as central administrator for the database by provisioning user licenses and roles, troubleshooting light technical issues, and working with teams to make sure the database responds to core business needs;
- Train staff around the organization on designing frameworks for tracking data, on managing project data portfolios, on using the data for analysis of core systems, and on data visualization;
- Liaise with multiple departments to ensure a successful implementation, including Information Technology, Monitoring and Evaluation, Program Support, Grants & Contracts, and Regional and Thematic Program teams;
- Serve as the point of contact with Internews’ Information Technology team to document, scope and design future customizations after initial roll-out;
- Run global reports and visualizations on a consistent basis and provide recommendations for use of data insights.
Drive a Virtual Learning Approach
- Drive the development and use of a learning management system (LMS) platform in consultation with multiple stakeholders;
- Create internal guidelines for developing online learning content;
- Consult with program teams on basic approaches for creating engaging courses online, drawing on best practices from the remote learning, adult learning, and instructional design fields;
- Build internal expertise in virtual learning through trainings, webinars, one-to-one guidance and supporting a community of practice;
- Source external consultants as needed for projects, and support in development of courses and materials in line with our internal guidelines;
- Develop pilot course for internal learning on methodologies, best practices in our programming, or internal processes.
Support Knowledge and Learning Agenda
This constitutes a small portion of this role’s portfolio
- Manage internal Knowledge Hubs (platforms for exchanging expertise on core thematic topics of work) that are relevant to the Program Insights database and the virtual learning initiative;
- Support ongoing implementation of the Hive, our organization-wide intranet;
- Support internal communications to share progress on the Program Insights database and virtual learning department initiatives, creating strategies to drive their use;
- Maintain a human-centered design approach to all the above initiatives, ensuring our work is responding to the real needs of our users and iterating our products as needed to accomplish that goal
- In all duties, an understanding of and demonstrated commitment to upholding Internews’ Core Values .
Qualifications We’re Looking For:
- Technical experience/expertise with any of the following tools: SharePoint, web design with HTML/CSS, Salesforce, or a virtual learning platform;
- Prior experience in an international work environment along with a relevant degree;
- Exceptional facilitation, interpersonal, and communication skills;
- Experience working within a database or administering a data-driven system;
- Foundational level understanding of relational database structure and theory;
- Familiarity with database query language such as SQL;
- Experience designing and delivering engaging online courses, both synchronously and asynchronously;
- Proven ability to drive organizational change through sound approaches and effective collaboration;
- Demonstrated sensitivity and understanding of diverse perspectives in a multicultural environment;
- Optimism, a sense of humor, and excitement at supporting and elevating voices of people across the globe;
- Professional-level fluency in English;
- Excellent written and verbal communication skills.
Candidates who do not have these preferred qualifications, but are interested and willing to learn, are still encouraged to apply.
- Familiarity in the international development field
- Familiarity with Monitoring and Evaluation practices
- Experience using project management tools
- Proficiency in languages other than English.
This position is being offered and hired by Internews Network. Benefits will be consistent with Internews Network’s offerings and will be reviewed during the hiring process. Additional information can be found on our About Working for Internews page.