Job Title: Country Representative, Cameroon
Travel Requirements: 10-25% Time
Based in: Yaounde, Cameroon
Who we are
With over 50 years of experience, working in over 40+ countries, Population Services International (PSI) is the world’s leading non-profit social marketing organization. PSI is reimagining healthcare, by putting the consumer at the center, and wherever possible – bringing care to the front door. We are working to fix market failures, shape future health markets and shift policy and funding to better support consumer powered healthcare.
There are over 5,000 “PSI’ers” around the world. We are a diverse group of entrepreneurial development professionals with a wide range of backgrounds and experience. All with unique skills that we bring to the critically important work that we do.
This position is responsible for the overall management and achievement of objectives for their designated PSI country platform. Focus on managing overall strategic alignment, program portfolio performance, risk mitigation and donor compliance across funders and health areas. Lead the network member Senior Management Team and reports to the Regional Representative.
- Lead institutional development through strategic planning, program development, human resource planning and staff capacity building. Lead on sustainability approaches, market development and private sector engagement activities.
- Ensure compliance of all activities (i.e. financial, minimum standards, program quality assurance, donor regulations) and that all audit recommendations are implemented according to schedule. Proactively perform risk assessments to identify and mitigate risks, including operational, financial, legal, contractual, reputational and safety and ensure mitigation actions are implemented.
- Oversee program budgets, financial and internal controls; assures timely and accurate financial reporting as required by PSI/Washington and donors.
- Fundraise for existing and new activities and expansion of the health program’s portfolio.
- Maintain and foster strong external relations with strategic partners such as government, development partners, implementing partners and UN agencies, among others.
- Develop and enforce field office administrative policies. Promote an ethical environment in line with PSI’s values. Maintains a working culture that fosters diversity, equity and inclusion. Develop and maintain systems that ensure the safety and security of staff and assets in all aspects of work per best practices, PSI operating standards, and field realities.
- May participate in and contribute to global initiatives, policies, and strategy. May act as a conduit for field input across these issues.
What are we looking for?
- Bachelor’s Degree (or international equivalent) in a related field required
- Master’s Degree (or international equivalent) in a related field (i.e. MBA, MPA, MPH) preferred.
- At least 10 years of related experience managing budgets and international public health programs required, 15 years preferred
- At least 5 years of experience managing people required, 7 years preferred.
- Previous country leadership experience preferred.
- Demonstrated work experience in similar operating environments.
- Demonstrated experience in government and donor relations and collaboration
- Demonstrated fundraising experience.
- Demonstrated leadership and passion for building technical, management and leadership capacity.
- Fluency in English and French with excellent writing skills.
- References will be required.
- The successful candidate will be required to pass a background check.
The candidate we hire will embody PSI’s corporate values:
- Measurement: You use hard evidence to make decisions and guide your work. You set clear goalposts in advance and explain clearly if you need to move them.
- Pragmatism: You’ll strive to deliver the best possible result with the resources available. You won’t be paralyzed by a need to make things perfect. Honesty: You own your mistakes and are open about your shortcomings – it’s the only way you’ll learn and improve.
- Collaboration: You’ll quickly establish a mental map of whom you can rely on for what, on your team, at headquarters, and in our country offices – if you try to do it all yourself, you won’t succeed.
- Trust: You accept limits to your sphere of control and give colleagues the benefit of the doubt.
- Commitment: You are in it for the long-haul and want to grow with the organization, just like PSI serves its consumers and partners with host-country governments through thick and thin.
PSI is an Equal Opportunity Employer and encourages applications from qualified individuals regardless of actual or perceived race, religion, color, sex, age, national origin, disability, sexual orientation, marital status, personal appearance, matriculation, political affiliation, family status or responsibilities, gender identity or expression, pregnancy, childbirth, related medical conditions or breastfeeding, genetic information, amnesty, veteran, special disabled veteran or uniform service member status or employment status.
ACCESSIBILITY NOTICE: If you need a reasonable accommodation for any part of the employment process due to a physical or mental disability, please send an email to: firstname.lastname@example.org or call (202)785-0072.