Save the Children is the world’s leading independent organisation for children. We work in 120 countries. We save children’s lives; we fight for their rights; we help them fulfil their potential.
We work together, with our partners, to inspire breakthroughs in the way the world treats children and to achieve immediate and lasting change in their lives.
We have over two million supporters worldwide and raised 1.9 billion dollars last year to reach more children than ever before, through programmes in health, nutrition, education, protection and child rights, also in times of humanitarian crises.
Following a major transition, our international programmes are now delivered through a merged operation with c15,000 staff, managed through seven regional hubs and reporting to a relatively small, central office. We’re changing to become more efficient, more aligned, a better partner, a stronger advocate, a magnet for world-class people and relevant for the 21st century.
Contract length: Open Ended
As a member of the West & Central Africa Senior Leadership team, you will have shared accountability for Save the Children’s international development and emergency programming in the region of approximately $180 million through an organisation of over 2,400 people.
To achieve our ambitious goals and breakthroughs for children, the leadership team will, in collaboration with Save the Children Members and in conjunction with the other regional organisations, aim to drive growth to $2.7 billion by 2018.
The Country Director will lead the transformation of both countries to a new operating model, whilst also delivering Save the Children’s strategy through:
- Delivering quality programmes, including advocacy, for children; and
- Serving Members and their donors
Qualifications and experience
- Master degree level qualification or equivalent length of experience in the sector
- Substantial experience of building, leading and developing a diverse team of senior staff to deliver on both development and humanitarian programs
- Experience working with large, complex donors to secure and/or manage new large-scale and/or competitive funding
- Experience of managing a humanitarian crisis situation requiring quick changes to priorities and rapid action to respond
- Excellent understanding and experience of risk, programme, financial and operational management processes
- Experience of successfully leading change in an organisation
- Experience of building effective personal networks at a senior level
- Experience of managing security in a complex and rapidly changing environment
- Experience of solving complex issues
- Good understanding of key trends in international and humanitarian development
- Commitment to Save the Children values
- Fluency in French/English
- Experience of Niger with sound knowledge of the country context and key government and civil society stakeholders
- Fluency in local language
We need to keep children safe so our selection process reflects our commitment to the protection of children from abuse.
To see a full a job description, please visit our website at http://www.savethechildren.net/jobs
Please apply in Englisho French using your CV and covering letter as a single document, including your salary expectations for this role.