SNV is a not-for-profit international development organization that applies practical know-how to make a lasting difference in the lives of people living in poverty. We use our extensive and long-term in-country presence to apply and adapt our top-notch expertise in agriculture, energy and WASH to local contexts. SNV has an annual turnover of €130 million, over 1,250 staff in more than 25 countries in Asia, Africa and Latin America. We are proud to be a not-for-profit organization that uses project financing to implement our mission. This requires us to work efficiently and to invest in operational excellence.
In its new Strategic Plan period (2019 – 2022), SNV will more explicitly aim for systems change during project preparation and implementation – by strengthening institutions and kick-starting markets that help many more to escape poverty beyond our projects. We will continue to position ourselves as a premium organization, with decentralized management.
For more information on our operations in Kenya and SNV generally visit our website: http://www.snv.org
SNV Kenya is bidding within a consortium to deliver advisory expertise in a project that aims at job creation, job matching and skills development for 200,000 youth in 22 countries, of which at least 50% will be women.
The Position (Pending Contract Awarding)
SNV is recruiting a country coordinator (on local terms) who will be responsible for implementation of projects ambitions to achieve the targets set for SNV in Kenya. The country coordinator will report functionally to the overall manager based in one of the countries and line management by a designated manager in SNV Kenya. The position is provided for to last 5 years and the right candidate will be deployed on a 2 years’ renewable contract basis. S/he will participate in recruitment of and work with a full time third party consultant (Local Service Provider). S/he will be an expert on business development support (BDS) overseeing a country project that keen to deliver Technical Assistant (TA) on youth employment and Financing & Investment support as well. In this regard, a general understanding of technical assistance on youth employment and financing & investment will be an advantage.
In general, the country coordinator will have the following responsibilities and key activities:
- Support the launch, marketing and outreach of the project in-country by joining and contributing to workshops and reaching out to business and sector associations, SME networks, Investors networks etc;
- Support the pipeline development of business applications;
- Support young entrepreneurs in early-stage entrepreneurship development and acceleration, working through and with local external service providers with expertise in this area;
- Provide general support and explanation to coalitions/applicants about how to apply for the project, through e.g. workshops and webinars;
- Support due diligence processes conducted on applicants, bringing in local background and knowledge;
- Identify and select third party service providers as required; provide quality control and if needed strengthen their capacity relevant to the project;
- Learning and knowledge agenda implementation
Specifically, the country coordinator will have the following responsibilities and key activities:
- Support in the assessment of applications, focusing on strength of business cases, recognizing risks related to local context, markets, enterprises;
- Provide sector-specific technical assistance to companies: e.g. engagement with actors in the value chain, import/export, patent registration;
- Support the formation of coalitions and innovative solutions through participation in hackathons and other events aimed at defining successful designs;
Qualifications & requirements
- Understanding business culture and business case development
- Master or bachelor degree in relevant topic.
- 8+ years of relevant work experience
- Proven experience in coordinating projects, keeping oversight of activities.
- Understanding of private sector development, business case development, functioning of challenge funds/ grant schemes
- Experience in working on programmes for international donors
- Understanding of youth employment, climate change and gender issues
- Preferable: Policy influencing, knowledge sharing to youth employment (YE) programmes/ governments/ multilateral
- Willingness to travel within region (either Sahel or Horn of Africa)
- English language skills (French is an added advantage)
Terms of Appointment
This is a full-time national position with the successful candidate contracted on a 2-year period.
How to apply
Please apply by clicking on the “I AM INTERESTED” tab on this page and submitting an application letter and CV (in English) that highlights three referees before the 22nd August, 2019. All information will be in the strictest confidence. We will revert to you as soon as feasible when we have reviewed your application.
Please note that SNV Kenya does not require you to undergo any medical examination during the recruitment process.
We do not appreciate third-party mediation based on this advertisement.