Job Title: Cost & Pricing Officer
Department: Corporate Budget and Cost & Pricing
Location: Washington, DC
% International Travel: As needed
Reports To: Senior Manager, Cost & Pricing
Who we are
We’re Population Services International (PSI), the world’s leading non-profit social marketing organization. We work to make it easier for people in the developing world to lead healthier lives and plan the families they desire by marketing affordable products and services that range from mosquito nets to contraceptives to HIV testing.
There are over 7,000 “PSI’ers” around the world. It’s a diverse group of entrepreneurs and professionals with an unusually wide range of backgrounds – from the medical industry to the music business – all with unique skills we bring to the job.
PSI seeks a Cost & Pricing Officer to lead the budget development process for bids and proposals in coordination with headquarters-based program management and New Business Development (NBD) teams and PSI country teams. The successful candidate will ensure full recovery of direct and indirect costs in budget presentations to funders, align budget and budget narrative templates with funder requirements and PSI policies and procedures, and support realignment of existing program budgets as needed. The Cost & Pricing Officer will be familiar with budget development for different types of funders.
This position will be based in Washington, DC and will report to the Senior Manager, Cost & Pricing.
Sound like you? Read on.
- Review funder solicitations and evaluate cost proposal requirements for new bids and proposals; and develop or modify existing budget and budget narrative templates to align with solicitation requirements.
- Communicate budget issues or concerns with solicitation requirements to internal stakeholders, such as Finance, program management teams, Grants & Contracts, and NBD, for timely discussion and appropriate mitigation; and prepare cost questions for submission to funders if further clarification is needed;
- Analyze cost recovery risks and perform surplus-deficit analyses on proposal budgets.
- Review or lead, as assigned, new proposal and existing program realignment budgets and budget narratives to ensure quality, compliance with funder and PSI requirements, and full cost recovery.
- Provide support in the development of budget related responses to post submission questions and award budget negotiations.
- Periodically update funder specific budget and budget narrative templates.
- Perform other duties as assigned.
What we are looking for
The candidate we hire will embody PSI’s corporate values:
Collaboration: You can work independently, but thrive within a team.
Trust: You trust that your manager and team will have your back and care deeply about gaining that same trust from your teammates
Pragmatism: You dive in and maintain momentum even when things are ambiguous and you don’t let perfect get in the way of good enough.
Honesty: You aren’t afraid to speak up and speak your mind.
Measurement: You set clear and challenging goals and hold yourself accountable to driving measurable results.
Commitment: You’re independent and a free thinker, but you’re ready to buy in to the direction of the team and commit to its success.
- A minimum of Bachelor’s degree and five (5) years of work experience, with two (2) years in a similar role or relevant budget development role.
- Experience developing proposal budgets for US government agencies.
- Proficiency in MS-Excel.
- Flexibility to assume a workload that frequently necessitates an adjustment of priorities.
- Excellent interpersonal, written, and oral communications skills.
- Excellent organizational skills and ability to work under time pressures.
- Must be authorized to work in the United States. PSI will not consider work visa sponsorship for this position.
- References will be required.
- The successful candidate will be required to pass a background check.
What would get us excited
- You have experience developing cost proposals for other major PSI funders, such as DFID, the Gates Foundation, the Global Fund, and KfW.
- You have French and/or Spanish language skills.
- Ability to work well in a team environment and support team members by balancing workload.
PSI is an Equal Opportunity Employer and encourages applications from qualified individuals regardless of actual or perceived race, religion, color, sex, age, national origin, disability, sexual orientation, marital status, personal appearance, matriculation, political affiliation, family status or responsibilities, gender identity or expression, pregnancy, childbirth, related medical conditions or breastfeeding, genetic information, amnesty, veteran, special disabled veteran or uniform service member status or employment status.
ACCESSIBILITY NOTICE: If you need a reasonable accommodation for any part of the employment process due to a physical or mental disability, please send an email to: email@example.com or call (202)785-0072.