Institute of Global Health Equity Research
Coordinator (Trials and Other Research Management Administration)
The University of Global Health Equity (UGHE) is committed to radically changing the way healthcare is delivered around the world. UGHE is a new university based in Rwanda that is growing the next generation of global health professionals—doctors, nurses, researchers, and public health and policy experts—into leaders and change makers who strive to deliver more equitable, quality health services for all.
The Institute of Global Health Equity Research (IGHER) is the UGHE research institute that will contribute to UGHE’s vision and mission through high-quality research and research training. As the epicenter of global health equity research and research training, IGHER will generate and disseminate new and important knowledge for eliminating health inequities. It will also develop and deliver education and training that will ideally equip researchers to identify and solve problems related to health inequity.
One of the first initiatives of IGHER is to develop a Clinical Trials Center of Excellence (CTCoE). Appropriate staffing of the CTCoE is essential to ensure its success. The Coordinator (Trials and Other Research Management and Administration) is a new position at UGHE in which the successful applicant will oversee the ongoing conduct of clinical trials as well as other research management and administration concerned with the broader scope of IGHER’s and UGHE’s research activity.
Title: Coordinator (Trials and Other Research Management and Administration)
Rank: To be determined
Reports to: Director, IGHER
Role Purpose: Oversee management and implementation of clinical trials and other research projects in accordance with appropriate research, ethical, and regulatory guidelines; establish and organize essential systems of research administration; manage the Office of Research Administration (ORA); and actively participate in the preparation of competitive grant applications for research funding.
The Coordinator (Trials and Other Research Management and Administration; C-TORMA) is a position of pivotal operational importance for IGHER. The C-TORMA will ensure that all stages of clinical trials at the CTCoE are managed efficiently, effectively, and safely so that trial objectives are achieved on time and within budget. The C-TORMA will manage the ORA and establish systems and processes to contribute to the efficient operation of the ORA and CTCoE specifically as well as IGHER more generally.
Specifically, the main responsibilities of the position will be to:
1. Clinical Trials
- Ensure trial objectives are clearly described and achievable;
- Develop the protocol management plan (PMP) and coordinate the development of relevant operations plans;
- Oversee and monitor all aspects of the conduct of the trial including establishment, evaluation, and training to ensure milestones are achieved on time;
- Proactively anticipate and mitigate risks for all trials;
- Ensure research reports are of high-quality and submitted on time;
- Maintain good relations with stakeholders, partners, and collaborators;
- Detect and correct any errors in trial conduct and deviations from trial protocols as they arise;
- Ensure effective, ongoing, and regular communication between trial team members; and
- Effectively manage the budget of the trial.
2. Other Research Management
- Support preparation of funding applications;
- Oversee progress of research projects;
- Oversee financial management of research projects;
- Contribute to training and mentoring initiatives;
- Contribute to risk management of research projects; and
- Maintain good relations with research stakeholders, partners, and collaborators.
3. Research Administration
- Manage the ORA;
- Identify and disseminate appropriate sources of funding;
- Support UGHE Faculty in submission of funding applications; and
- Establish systems and processes for tracking UGHE research activity.
4. Perform other duties as assigned by the Director IGHER.
QUALIFICATIONS AND EXPERIENCE
The following qualifications and experience are regarded as the minimum requirements to excel in this position:
- A Bachelor’s degree in a scientific or otherwise relevant field. An advanced degree in a relevant field is preferred;
- Proven ability to manage multi-disciplinary clinical trial teams effectively to delivery clinical trials at high quality, on time, and within budget;
- Evidence of successfully managing to completion funded scientific and clinical research projects including all aspects of research reporting;
- Strong project management skills and the ability to deliver on assigned tasks within deadlines;
- Evidence of obtaining research income through competitive funding programs;
- Evidence of successfully managing research budgets;
- Evidence of the ability to successfully establish systems and processes for the efficient monitoring and recording of research activity in a large organization;
- Demonstrated computer literacy, with proficiency in the Microsoft Office suite and Google suite;
- Evidence of extensive experience in health especially with regard to health equity and social justice;
- Evidence of advanced written and verbal English communication skills;
- Evidence of exceptional creativity, ethical standards, and motivation;
- Demonstrated ability to work efficiently and productively both independently and as a leader of teams;
- Demonstrated ability to pay attention to detail and quality;
- Demonstrated understanding and familiarity with different grant systems including international funding organisations such as the NIH, Wellcome Trust, etc.;
- Demonstrated ability and experience to prepare competitive grant applications for research funding; and
- Demonstrated ability to use specific computer programs for developing research models, analyzing data, or creating and managing databases.
The successful applicant will have:
- A sophisticated understanding of, and demonstrated commitment to, global health equity;
- An advanced understanding of research and research processes including the ethical conduct of research;
- Extensive knowledge and experience in the conduct of clinical trials;
- Expert skills in data collection and data analysis;
- Expert skills in report writing;
- Expert skills in financial management;
- Outstanding written and verbal communication skills with a sustained, proven ability to establish and maintain research partnerships and collaborations;
- Advanced high-level computer skills with demonstrated proficiency in a range of standard software programs;
- Exemplary organizational skills;
- A highly developed ability to be detail-oriented and to work to deadlines and schedules both independently and when leading teams; and
- A highly effective ability to work flexibly and to engage and lead colleagues as well as external contributors.