Assignment Locations: Lilongwe, Dedza, Ntchisi, Mchinji and Ntcheu districts
Duration (LOE): Up to 6 months
Intended Dates: January 2020 – June 2020
I. Project Overview
Land O’Lakes Venture37 is implementing a 5- year USAID funded Cooperative Development Activity 4 (CD4) project, that is focusing on improving the business performance of primary cooperatives and strengthening cooperative apex organizations in Malawi. Cooperatives business performance will be enhanced through provision of tailored capacity building as well as local and global collaborative learning initiatives. CD4 is part of the Cooperative Development Program that is funded out of USAID-Washington and it is also being implemented in Rwanda.
The objectives of the program will be reached through the following three components:
- improving the cooperative enabling environment;
- improving cooperative business performance; and
- improving the development community’s support for cooperatives.
CD4 is working with 6 Cooperatives/Farmer Organizations (FO) including2 in Dairy and 4 in Horticulture. The tailored technical assistance intends to improve their business performance and achieve sustainable growth to impact the economic transformation of the cooperative/FO as well as its members.
II. Brief Summary of the assignment
In Malawi many Cooperatives/Farmer organizations face common challenges in areas including poor governance and poor basic financial skills among others. The purpose of the assignment is to provide coaching to CD4 partner cooperatives to improve their professionalism and business performance by equipping cooperative member, leaders and staff with financial management knowledge and skills.
III. Problem statement
Recently, CD4 staff in collaboration with its partner cooperatives conducted cooperative business performance assessment using a Land O Lakes’ formulated Performance Management measurement tool. The assessment findings revealed that many of these cooperatives do not record their financial transactions properly, have poor bookkeeping skills, limited accounting knowledge and lack of good financial reporting. Failure to produce financial reports and plans does not only affect their financial decisions and business performance, but also limits their organization to access to financial services like loans, grants, factoring services etc.
IV. Assignment Objectives
The main objective of this assignment is to coach the leaders and members of 6 primary cooperatives/Farmer Organizations (2 in dairy and 4 in Horticulture) toward strengthening their practices in financial management. The 6 organizations are in Lilongwe, Dedza, Ntcheu and Mchinji districts. The cooperative coach is expected to mentor the cooperatives for a period of 6 months under which they will be on short-term employment with land O’Lakes. At the end of the assignment, it is expected that the cooperatives will be able to prepare and produce financial budgets as financial records and statements.
V. Specific technical assistance tasks
The consultants’ key activities will focus on:
- Review the existing project materials including; the main project documents and the PM2 assessment reports;
- Develop coaching materials and coaching program for each of the cooperative for the upcoming 6 months
- Implement the cooperative coaching plan for participating cooperatives.
- Meet with CD4 staff at least once a month for updating on the progress of assignment
- Provide coaching progress and final report (hard and electronic copy) in English.
VI. Outputs and Deliverables:
Key Tasks to be Accomplished, Expected Deliverables and Timeframe
- Recording financial transactions in book of accounts;
- Financial reporting
- Cash flow statement, budget, monthly budget forecasts, budgeting execution report (forecast vs actuals)
- The successful candidate will also be required to provide the following
- Monthly progress report (electronic copy) in English and submit to Land O’Lakes Venture37. The report should include details on capacity development provided to each cooperative organization, challenges and way forward
VII. Consultant Qualifications
The desired consultant is expected to have the following skills and qualifications:
- Educational Background: University degree in finance or accounting, Business Administration, Agribusiness Management, Agricultural Economics or any other related field with practical experience working with cooperatives, farmer-based organizations, or private businesses.
- Good track record in developing capacities of farmers/and or farmer groups like coops & unions through formal coaching.
- Knowledge of the Malawian agricultural sector, cooperative unions experience is preferred.
- Knowledge of the dairy, maize and horticulture sector in Rwanda would be a considerable advantage.
- Malawi country experience/Fluent in Chichewa
- Skilled in developing trainings and coaching modules/manuals is an added advantage
- Available for assignment as soon as possible.
Interested consultants are encouraged to send their cover letter explaining their interest and justifying their candidacy, CVs, certificates of completion of similar assignments to Procurement.CDP@landolakes.org no later than Wednesday, December 11th, 2019 at 5:00PM Malawi time. The title of the email must include “Malawi Cooperative coach-Temporary on financial management”.
Land O’Lakes Venture37 will provide transportation and other necessary logistical supplies for the assignment.