Position Title: Contact Tracing Liaison, New Bedford Health Department
Reports to: Senior Project Lead, New Bedford, U.S. Public Health Accompaniment Unit
Location: Massachusetts, United States; requires ability to work in-person in New Bedford, MA at Health Department Offices at least 3x per week
Employment Type: Full-time; temporary through June 2021 (may include evenings and weekends)
Leveraging PIH’s experience and lessons learned from our COVID contact tracing collaboration with the state of Massachusetts, and our 30 years of global work in emergency epidemic response and health systems strengthening, PIH has launched a new team to accompany U.S. states, cities and community partners in rapidly scaling up contact tracing and building more equitable and effective public health responses to COVID-19 in the US.
The U.S. Public Health Accompaniment Unit team works to accompany public sector and community partners on the frontlines of the public health response to COVID-19, to address this acute-on-chronic public health crisis, by providing technical assistance and knowledge sharing platforms to accelerate implementation of effective, equitable COVID-19 responses. As part of a broad portfolio of work, the U.S. Public Health Accompaniment Unit is launching a new COVID-19 response partnership with the Health Department in New Bedford, Massachusetts. The city of New Bedford is home to more than 100,000 residents, roughly twenty percent of whom have incomes below the Federal poverty line, and has recently been among the highest-rated municipalities in Massachusetts for COVID-19 transmission.
Partners In Health is embedding a COVID-19 response team within the New Bedford Department of Health to reinforce contact tracing and cluster investigation efforts; support testing, community education and outreach; and collaborate to build and execute a COVID-19 community vaccination campaign, ultimately serving to support New Bedford’s response to the epidemic and serving as a model public health team for other municipalities.
As a member of the PIH COVID-19 response team, the Contact Tracing liaison will be responsible for supporting the Health Department in working with the Massachusetts State Community Tracing Collaborative to reinforce contact tracing efforts and guide cluster investigations. This individual will be an integral member of a multi-disciplinary team whose work will inform the full cascade of the COVID-19 response in New Bedford from testing to contact tracing and vaccine planning based on their insights into ongoing transmission patterns. This individual is prohibited from providing any clinical or medical advice. After the duration of the Partners In Health project, this individual may have the opportunity to transition to a full-time permanent role with the New Bedford Health Department.
- Liaise with Massachusetts Community Tracing Collaborative (CTC) on contact tracing efforts, providing reinforcement on tracing outreach and cluster investigations
- Conduct outreach to businesses, citizens, and community groups in support of COVID-19 cluster investigations
- Respond to citizens regarding COVID-19 questions related to contact tracing and ongoing community transmission transmitted through Health Department channels
- Work with New Bedford COVID-19 response team and CTC to identify trends and clusters, develop reports, and conduct outreach in accordance with current county, state, and federal regulations
- Compile and share data with CTC and department officials and input relevant information in MAVEN, the Massachusetts Department of Health database
- Participate in US Public Health Accompaniment Unit cross-team meetings and trainings
- Contribute learnings and insights from work to broader US Public Health Accompaniment Unit resource library and learning collaborative
- Maintain daily contact with New Bedford Health Department leadership and New Bedford COVID-19 team
- Other duties as assigned
- High school diploma or equivalent required; 2-3 years full-time work experience preferred
- Proficiency with computers
- Strong interpersonal and communication skills, including ability to show empathy for distressed individuals; interact broadly with culturally diverse community members and leaders in a time of crisis and distress; and communicate with city and health department leadership on evolving needs
- Ability to exhibit a professional, positive attitude and work ethic
- Excellent organizational skills
- Ability to speak, read, and write English
- Ability to handle confidential information with discretion and professionalism
- Demonstrated commitment to social justice and health equity
- Ability to work full-time onsite at the New Bedford Health Department strongly preferred
- Fluency in additional languages including Spanish and Portuguese a plus
Partners In Health (PIH) is an international health organization relentlessly committed to improving the health of the poor and marginalized. PIH partners with local governments to build local capacity and works closely with impoverished communities to deliver high-quality health care, address the root causes of illness, train providers, advance research, and advocate for global policy change.
PIH currently has implementation programs in Haiti, Rwanda, Lesotho, Liberia, Kazakhstan, Malawi, Peru, Mexico, Sierra Leone and Navajo Nation. Through our partnership with Harvard Medical School and the Brigham and Women’s Hospital, we support a wide range of programs in dozens of other countries around the world.
Partners In Health (PIH) is committed to the fundamental principle of equal opportunity and equal treatment for every prospective and current employee. It is the policy of PIH not to discriminate on the basis of race, color, national or ethnic origin, ancestry, age, religion, creed, disability, sex and gender, sexual orientation, gender identity and/or expression, military or veteran status, or any other characteristic protected under applicable federal, state or local law. PIH works in and with a number of governments in and outside the U.S., and to the extent applicable, this statement is intended to incorporate the prohibition of any unlawful discrimination covered by applicable laws in such countries, states and municipalities.