World Resources Institute (WRI) is an independent, nonprofit global research organization that turns big ideas into action at the nexus of environment, economic opportunity and human well-being. We are working to address six critical challenges that the world must overcome this decade in order to secure a sustainable future for people and the planet: climate change, energy, food, forests, water and sustainable cities. Founded in 1982, WRI has a global staff of nearly 700 people with work spanning 50 countries. We have offices in Brazil, China, Ethiopia, Europe, India, Indonesia, Mexico and the United States.
The foundation of our work is delivering high-quality research, data, maps and analysis to solve the world’s greatest environment and international development challenges, and improve people’s lives. We work with leaders in government, business and civil society to drive ambitious action and create change on the ground. Equally important, we bring together partners to develop breakthrough ideas and scale-up solutions for far-reaching, enduring impact.
The World Resources Institute India (WRI India) is an Indian environmental organisation with experts and staff who work closely with leaders to turn big ideas into action to sustain a healthy environment – the foundation of economic opportunity and human well-being. WRI envisions an equitable and prosperous planet driven by the wise management of natural resources, and aspires to create a world where the actions of government, business, and communities combine to eliminate poverty and sustain the natural environment for all people.
WRI India aims to help solve the four most urgent challenges in India – rapid urbanization, the increasing demand for energy, responding to climate change and the large-scale degradation of natural resources. Over 75 experts and staff across three office locations – Mumbai, Bangalore and Delhi – deliver these ambitious goals. WRI India is supported by WRI’s international offices, to ensure that the global organization’s experience can be brought to bear within the context of India. WRI India has the capacity to convene key stakeholders, and forge strategic partnerships with governments, business, foundations, civil society organizations, institutes and NGOs, to scale-up solutions that can bring game-changing results for the sustainable management of natural resources in India.
WRI India requires a self motivated, smart, detail oriented and highly organized individual to support its Operations department as a Consultant. This is a position for someone seeking to work in financial and project management.
The successful candidate will be expected to provide significant support to the Operations team in streamlining current practices and identifying innovative solutions to the administrative requirements of the India office. It is expected that this individual would be willing to manage routine processes to ensure the smooth functioning of the office with a high level of engagement and attention to detail.
- Work closely with the Operations Manager to maintain and improve current budget and financial management processes to improve the accuracy of forecasting and minimize variance from planned targets
- Develop and operationalize new systems and approaches to more efficiently manage the office’s finances
- Support activities around payroll, vendor payments, maintenance of the book of accounts, compliance with statutory regulations and maintenance of personnel records.
- Support the set-up, registration and completion of statutory compliances for new entities in India
- Support the maintenance of office facilities, manage relationships with multiple vendors and organize logistics for program events
Actively participate and collaborate with the finance and accounts, human resources and project teams in other network centers
Qualifications and Requirements
- A degree in accounting, finance, business or non-profit management, or a related field would be helpful, but it is not essential. We are willing to consider a candidate with a different academic background but with some work experience in this field.
- At least 4-5 years full time work experience in financial management and administration or a related field
- Strong computer skills including high level of comfort with Microsoft Office (Word, Excel, PowerPoint, etc), web-based communications (e.g., Skype, GoToMeeting, etc.), and Internet research.
- Organized and detail-oriented
- Comfortable working in a fast-paced, multi-cultural, global workplace
- Adaptable and flexible to shifting opportunities, priorities and needs. Should be able to deal with high levels of ambiguity and work with team members to find practical solutions.
- Interest in sustainable transport, urban development, and environmental issues is a plus
- Capability to learn and use software applications that are used by WRI.
- Flexible individual who can work independently, with little direction and supervision.
- Strong analytical capabilities