PATH is a global organization that works to accelerate health equity by bringing together public institutions, businesses, social enterprises, and investors to solve the world’s most pressing health challenges. With expertise in science, health, economics, technology, advocacy, and dozens of other specialties, PATH develops and scales solutions—including vaccines, drugs, devices, diagnostics, and innovative approaches to strengthening health systems worldwide.
The Market Dynamics team uses data to co-generate policies that increase the availability of health products and services. PATH is currently implementing two projects in Malawi that involve close collaboration with high level government stakeholders, donors, firms, and multilateral health organizations such as the WHO. The work is extremely fast paced and requires a dedicated self-starter individual who will hit the ground running. PATH seeks to identify and work with an experienced expert with a robust understanding of health systems (especially respiratory care and maternal, newborn and child health (MNCH) medical devices), public policy, and economics, who will be able to engage stakeholders, facilitate collaborations and build networks with aligned actors in the health space.
PATH’s Market Dynamics program is currently recruiting for a short-term consultant that is keen to work on PATH’s response to the COVID-19 pandemic and efforts to increase access to medical devices. With the guidance of the Market Dynamics Officer, the Consultant will support the Medical Device Portfolio within the Market Dynamics Program in implementing (1) the Malawi Respiratory Care Program aimed at increasing safe access to oxygen therapy, and (2) the Market Dynamics for MNCH Medical Devices project, aimed at diagnosing key barriers to access for MNCH medical devices. The Consultant to be hired will work with Market Dynamics staff in Malawi and PATH HQ teams to plan, implement interventions, advise on the best approaches, conduct analyses, and apply findings to address market failures that restrict access to life-saving products and interventions. He/she will lead collaborative efforts in health and respiratory care initiatives in the country and advise on effective decision making.
The expected consultant role
The Consultant will serve as the technical lead for the PATH market dynamics-based efforts to improve access to medical devices, including (1) ensuring that a country strategy for oxygen therapy and respiratory care equipment is developed as part of the Malawi MOH’s response to the COVID-19 pandemic; (2) conducting a rapid analysis of 8 priority MNCH medical devices to evaluate market structure and root cause barriers to access; and (3) implementing a medical equipment management information system that is tailored to the specific needs of the Malawi MOH. The consultant will play a key advisory role in these efforts and will work closely with a strong team of internal and external collaborators.
EXPECTED RESPONSIBILITIES AND TASKS
The Consultant will play a supportive role to the Market Dynamics Officer in implementing key activities according to the program plans. He/she will lead collaborative engagements with the Ministry of Health, health stakeholders and other aligned actors in the Oxygen, respiratory care, and MNCH ecosystem. He/she will support in reporting advise on Oxygen related market research, medical devices and other global health products, e.g., MNCH and respiratory care equipment and related consumables. He/she will be expected to provide evidence-based guidance to PATH teams for program decision making in country. The Consultant will be expected to execute these specific tasks;
- Provide support to the project team (Market Dynamics Officer) in development and execution of work plans and associated project activities in Malawi.
- Work with the PATH team in Malawi to facilitate effective work relationships with MoH and other key health partners (Oxygen, respiratory care, MNCH, medical devices) in implementing the Oxygen Ecosystem Roadmap,
- Identify key actors in the health space in Malawi to advocate Oxygen scale-up and mobilize resources for Oxygen.
- With the support of the Market Dynamics Officer, conduct research, survey, and interview activities to evaluate market structure and key barriers to access for priority MNCH medical devices in the context of the Malawian health system.
- With support of the Market Dynamics Officer, support the government in implementing an equipment management system to organize inventory, maintenance, and consumables supply activities, by:
- Identifying and interviewing key stakeholders to evaluate key lessons from previous equipment management systems and key needs moving forward
- Advising the procurement of a software tool that meets the above needs
- Support the government in planning the rollout/implementation of procured tool
- Represent PATH in key meetings and provide local context and background to the PATH project team and advise in-country team on best medical device and Oxygen strategies and approaches.
- As needed, identify, engage, and serve as the support contact for key stakeholders in other PATH’s Malawi market dynamics project activities.