PATH is a global nonprofit dedicated to achieving health equity. With more than 40 years of experience forging multisector partnerships, and with expertise in science, economics, technology, advocacy, and dozens of other specialties, PATH develops and scales up innovative solutions to the world’s most pressing health challenges.
The “COVID-19 Respiratory Care Global Market Coordination” grant is an 18-month project (May 2020-October 2021) funded by The Bill & Melinda Gates Foundation. The goal is to support global efforts to reduce the Covid-19 burden and to develop long term oxygen scale-up strategies.
Through this grant, PATH is implementing the “ACT Accelerator Emergency Oxygen Procurement for Zambia” Grant funded by Unitaid. This is a grant to support emergency procurement and installation of oxygen equipment and infrastructure in response to the COVID-19 pandemic. The goal is to reinforce the Zambian healthcare system to respond to COVID-19 waves.
Through collaboration with the PATH project team, the consultant will play a critical role in supporting installation of medical gas piping and manifold systems in select hospitals in Zambia. The following facilities have identified these specific piping/manifold needs:
Levy Mwanawasa University Teaching Hospital – Lusaka
- Oxygen cylinder manifold system for new wing
University Teaching Hospital – Lusaka
- Medical gas piping for new wing (emergency wing) in hospital
- Oxygen cylinder manifold system to support new wing and older wing
The consultant will undertake the following activities:
- Complete site visits at the above listed facilities and serve as a technical expert specifically identifying requirements for manifolds/piping systems.
- Work closely with the PATH lead in Zambia, PATH ex-Zambia based team, and MoH staff to develop a request for proposals (RFP) for the design and installation of manifolds and piping.
- Be able to respond to queries from bidders and MoH staff regarding piping and manifold work.
- Serve as an advisor to the bid evaluation committee for the proposals and support selection of a bidder including negotiation of terms and pricing.
- Report describing the technical feasibility, requirements, and relevant standards to implement the above work.
The consultant and the PATH project team will work closely together to determine which tasks and responsibilities the consultant takes on given the rapidly evolving COVID-19 response environment.
The work will start immediately, and the report is due 2 weeks from contract award. A longer tail will require lighter support on RFP design and execution.