TERMS OF REFERENCE (ToR)
Languages required: English.
Starting date: As soon as possible
Duration of the contract: Two months
Background – Scope of the Consultancy
The Danish Refugee Council (DRC) is a humanitarian, non-governmental, non-profit organization working in Myanmar since 2009 in response to cyclone Giri and currently supporting operations in four different States (Kachin, Northern Shan, Kayah, Rakhine). DRC aims to make available immediate relief and protection to displaced people and vulnerable host communities in an impartial, inclusive and neutral manner, adhering to DRC’s Code of Conduct and core Humanitarian Principles.
DRC is looking for short-term support for our livelihoods program in an Area Office to respond to the changing context. We are currently half-way through the implementation of a four-year livelihoods program which will need to be adapted to be more flexible and responsible to access, markets, and context.
Objectives of the Consultancy
DRC is seeking a consultant to support our livelihoods team to develop adaptive livelihoods programming in areas of changing context. This role will support the livelihoods team to conduct a remote market analysis in the targeted area to understand the impact of the recent contextual changes on market systems, as well as regular remote market monitoring. Existing tools will need to be adapted to the context and available entry points, and the staff will need to be trained. Based on the market analysis, the consultant will work with the team to design interventions that respond to the conflict-impacted limitations of the market. This role will also support the team in adapting activities to the limited access environment, while also building in flexibility to the program design.
Duties, Responsibilities and Deliverables
The Consultant will be based in the Area Office
The consultant will report to the DRC Livelihoods Manager, with close coordination with livelihoods staff, as well as the Head of Programmes. They will conduct the following activities:
- Assess which market systems should be included in the analysis
- Conduct a market analysis for the targeted area to understand the impact the recent conflict and displacement has had on access to basic food and non-food items, input and output rice value chain, opportunities for temporary income generation, and options for livelihoods diversification beyond agriculture. This includes contextualization of tools, training of the team, supporting the team in the assessment, conducting analysis, and developing a final report
- Contextualization of market monitoring tools based on the access limitations, context, and entry points available to DRC. Ensuring they are flexible and adaptable.
- Training of the team on market monitoring tools and analysis
- Based on the market analysis – support the team in the development of interventions to respond to barriers within the market
- Provide ongoing support to the team to ensure that activities are flexible, contextually-driven, and can be managed and monitored remotely.
- Develop implementation and monitoring plans for all activities under this program, along with the livelihoods project manager
- The consultant will sign the code of ethics and will ensure full respect of humanitarian principles when approaching community members.
- The consultant will sign DRC’s ‘confidentiality form’.
- Remote market analysis and market monitoring tools
- Staff training materials
- Written analysis of the impact of the conflict and displacement on the markets in the target areas
Profile of the Candidate
Your Experience must include:
- Experience in supporting economic recovery programming within contexts with limited access and changing contexts
- Technical experience in coordinating market analyses in conflict areas
- Experience with remote management and monitoring
- Demonstrated understanding of the work proposed in the TOR.
- Strong English writing skills and ability to work well with a translator in the field
- Ability to work with minimum supervision
DRC strongly advocates for equal opportunity and promotes a diversified and inspiring working environment. In order to apply for this consultancy, please submit the following
- Current resume
- Detailed work plan
- Detailed budget
- Proposal of how you would achieve the objectives of this consultancy
By clicking Apply Button no later than on 5PM on June 28 2019 (Friday).
Please note that due to the urgency of this position, applications will be reviewed on an rolling basis and DRC reserves the right to initiate the recruitment process before the deadline for applications.
Danish Refugee Council are equal opportunity employers and consider all applicants on the basis of merit without regard to race, national origin, religious beliefs, sexual orientation, age, marital status or physical or mental disability.