Position Title: Community Engagement Manager – Chicago, Vaccine Equity (RECOVER), U.S. Public Health Accompaniment Unit
Reports to: Senior Project Lead, U.S. Public Health Accompaniment Unit
Location: Chicago, IL
Position Type: Full-time; Temporary through November 2021
Leveraging Partners In Health’s (PIH) experience and lessons learned from our 30 years of global work in emergency epidemic response and health systems strengthening, PIH has spent the last year collaborating with the state of Massachusetts on COVID contact tracing, and working with other U.S. states, cities and community partners in building more equitable and effective public health responses to COVID-19 in the US.
PIH’s U.S. Public Health Accompaniment Unit (USPHAU) supports public sector and community partners on the frontlines of the public health response to COVID-19 in multiple communities across the U.S. Recognizing the severity of this acute-on-chronic public health crisis, USPHAU provides technical assistance and knowledge-sharing platforms to enable local public health partners to implement effective, equitable COVID-19 responses. USPHAU advises and supports these local partners on design and implementation, incorporating an equity lens into execution, and creating a community of partners across the US to share best practices and challenges in order to fortify efforts amidst the national response to COVID-19.
USPHAU has been awarded a short-term but substantial grant from the U.S. Health Resources and Services Administration (HRSA). PIH will engage multiple public sector and community partners in subaward and other contractual arrangements that will lay the foundation for our work.
The Community Engagement Manager will join a fast paced and dynamic team collaborating closely with government and community partners in Chicago, IL. The Community Engagement Manager, in partnership with the Senior Project Lead, will lead project implementation for our HRSA subgrantees and support of an equitable public health response to COVID-19 including improving vaccine uptake and strengthening community capacity for the long-term.
- Provide technical assistance, coaching, and hands-on support to ten community partners in the implementation of a community-based vaccine outreach initiative
- Contribute to the development and delivery of educational curricula, outreach strategies, and organizing approaches focused on various aspects of COVID-19 response and vaccine strategy, health systems strengthening, and social determinants of health
- Prepare analysis and recommendations for partner community organizations and health providers, in partnership with the Senior Project Lead
- Manage, coach and support the development of two community engagement specialists
- Compile, synthesize and analyze data to inform the development of assessments, recommendations and other advising and program materials
- Establish collaborative relationships with community leaders, partner organizations and other relevant stakeholders
- Guide monitoring and evaluation efforts, track project performance and lead impact reporting using appropriate KPIs and project metrics
- Coordinate meetings among the project partners and stakeholders
- Prepare donor reports and other external program reports as needed
- Contribute learnings and insights from project site to broader US Public Health Accompaniment Unit resource library and learning collaborative
- Provide regular reports on program and work progress to PIH leadership team, and liaise across other PIH USPHAU teams
- Perform any other relevant, project-related duties when needed
- Bachelor’s Degree plus 3 years work experience; or advanced degree plus 2 years work experience
- Prior program management experience in complex, fast-paced environment
- Experience working with community-based organizations on program implementation, particularly within Chicago or other similar areas
- Demonstrated strong problem solving, analytical and quantitative skills
- Ability to work independently and effectively in a high-pressure, fast-paced environment and handle multiple tasks simultaneously
- Exceptional diplomatic and interpersonal skills and ability to build strong professional relationships with a range of stakeholders in a challenging environment
- Strategically minded, able to think creatively around program objectives and the detailed steps necessary to achieve these goals
- Ability to exhibit a professional, positive attitude, empathy, and strong work ethic
- Entrepreneurial and flexibility in the face of rapidly evolving scope of work and new challenges
- Sound judgment and ability to handle confidential information with discretion and professionalism
- Demonstrated commitment to social justice and health equity
- Strong verbal and written communication skills, including delivery of compelling presentations and documents in Microsoft PowerPoint and Word
- Proficiency in Microsoft Excel a plus
Partners In Health (PIH) is a non-profit, global health organization that fights social injustice by bringing the benefits of modern medical science first and foremost to the most vulnerable communities around the world. PIH focuses on those who would not otherwise have access to quality health care. PIH partners with the world’s leading academic institutions to create rigorous evidence that shapes more sound and all-inclusive global health policies. PIH also supports local governments’ efforts to build capacity and strengthen national health systems.
As of today, PIH runs programs in 11 countries (Haiti, Peru, Rwanda, Mexico, Sierra Leone, Liberia, Malawi, Lesotho, Russia, Kazakhstan, Navajo Nation), where it provides direct care to millions of patients, through public facilities and community engagement.
Partners In Health (PIH) is committed to the fundamental principle of equal opportunity and equal treatment for every prospective and current employee. It is the policy of PIH not to discriminate on the basis of race, color, national or ethnic origin, ancestry, age, religion, creed, disability, sex and gender, sexual orientation, gender identity and/or expression, military or veteran status, or any other characteristic protected under applicable federal, state or local law. PIH works in and with a number of governments in and outside the U.S., and to the extent applicable, this statement is intended to incorporate the prohibition of any unlawful discrimination covered by applicable laws in such countries, states and municipalities.