Job Summary :
IFPRI’s Poverty, Health and Nutrition Division is recruiting a Communications Specialist II (Policy Communications Specialist) to anchor policy engagement and communications in the context of POSHAN, an initiative to strengthen evidence-informed nutrition actions in India. POSHAN’s goals are to improve the use of evidence in relation to nutrition policy and program decisions in India and key states within India. This is to be accomplished through effective engagement of the nutrition stakeholder community, and the use of diverse communications tools. Policy support and policy engagement activities on the project will include active engagement with various nutrition stakeholders in India, and written and in-person policy support in the context of a dynamic environment. This is an one year, exempt, renewable position based in New Delhi. The post holder will report to a senior research fellow and project manager, work in collaboration with a communications officer and draw on the support of research assistants and administrative support in New Delhi and Washington DC headquarters. Interested applicants must have work authorization to work in India.
Specific duties and responsibilities include but are not limited to:
• Represent IFPRI’s India nutrition work in diverse environments to strengthen engagement with knowledge products and ongoing research, stimulate the uptake and use of research outputs and build relationships and networks to support stakeholder engagement.
• Engage closely with nutrition stakeholders at the national-level and in key states to identify data and evidence needs, identifying key partners and relevant influencing/dissemination opportunities and pathways, including social and mainstream media as appropriate.
• Working with the POSHAN team, develop, update and implement a strategic communications strategy and work plan for the project, including identifying existing networks and contacts, influencing opportunities and events.
• Work with POSHAN and other researchers to identify and refine key messages for the POSHAN research areas aimed at target audiences
• Help the team to ensure that all outreach materials are audience-focused throughout the period of the project and to identify and develop tailored products to engage with specific audiences.
• Work with IFPRI’s Communications & Knowledge Management Division staff on the development of communications products (such as policy briefs, visual displays, brochures, and website content) and their promotion ensuring that the report reaches its target audiences both within the nutrition community, as well as beyond it.
• Develop a method to track and measure success in reaching audiences, identifying what success looks like and how it can be strengthened.
• Contribute to the preparation of project progress reports, as required by POSHAN project leaders.
• Other duties as assigned.
• Bachelor’s degree in in public administration, policy analysis, public health, nutrition, or relevant field plus five years of relevant professional experience in nutrition or public health in India; or Master’s degree in in public administration, policy analysis, public health, nutrition, or relevant field plus three years of relevant professional experience in nutrition or public health in India
• Familiarity and/or training in with issues related to nutrition and health in India and with nutrition stakeholders
• Superior communications skills; ability to engage a broad range of stakeholders; excellent listening and negotiating abilities
• Strong English writing and editing skills, excellent verbal English language skills
• Ability to convey scientific and research information to diverse audiences in an engaging and concise manner.
• Experience in translating research into action.
• Demonstrated interpersonal skills; ability to interact professionally with a diverse employee population, with all levels of staff and management and with senior level external stakeholders.
• Highly output-focused and conscientious with a strong attention to detail and effective administration skills.
• Ability to travel within India and internationally
• Ability to work effectively in a team, while also able to work independently as needs require
• Ability to self-organize and multitask under tight deadlines in a fast-paced environment.
• Experience in building and mobilizing networks
• Strong strategic thinker and planner.
• Fluency in Word, Excel and PowerPoint
• Experience working in health- or nutrition-related policy or program support at national and/or regional/state level, especially in Uttar Pradesh, Bihar, Odisha and Madhya Pradesh
• Comfortable speaking Hindi
• Existing network connections in relevant field
• Familiarity with work in a research environment
• Experience of audience mapping tools and techniques