The International Food Policy Research Institute (IFPRI) seeks a Communications Specialist II for the CGIAR Research Program on Agriculture for Nutrition and Health (A4NH).
The successful candidate will coordinate efforts on communicating research undertaken within the A4NH portfolio through a variety of communication channels. This position is based in Washington, DC and is an exempt, two-year, fixed-term appointment that is renewable depending on performance and funding. This position will require travel to field projects and events.
The duties include but not limited to:
- Developing communication content (web and print)
- Content development, management, and curation for main A4NH website and social media channels
- Develop print and web-based research program outputs (e.g. project summaries, briefs, reports, outcome stories)
- Write, produce, and disseminate regular e-newsletters to new and existing A4NH partners and stakeholders
- Lead development (including design and content) and dissemination of A4NH promotional materials (e.g. annual report, brochures, etc.)
- Communications around events and conferences(internal and external)
- Promote important A4NH events by writing and coordinating outreach products (e.g. op-eds, blogs, press releases)
- Participate in conferences and other events and synthesize key messages and communiques
- Work with media and other communication specialists from partner organizations
- Communication support to program managers and scientists
- Editing of reports and peer-reviewed publications
- Support to graphical illustration of research findings
- Prepare PowerPoint presentations
- Collect and analyze web, social media, and other statistics to provide support for strategic decisions
- Coordinate and liaison
- Work closely with IFPRI communications division and communication or research staff from other participating CGIAR Centers and CGIAR Research Programs, and external partners
- Knowledge Management
- Assist with knowledge management for A4NH outputs (e.g. tracking, cataloging, and disseminating A4NH publications and outputs)
- Coordinate with communications and knowledge management staff from IFPRI and A4NH partner organizations to ensure appropriate recording and reporting of research products generated under the A4NH program
- Event Planning and Outreach
- Support coordination of A4NH science and partnership events with A4NH, Center and partner staff. Coordinate internal and external communication around major events.
- Other duties as necessary
- Bachelor’s degree in Journalism, Communications, International Development, or related field, plus five years of relevant or Master’s degree plus three years.
- At least 3 years of relevant experience in communications or development, preferably for an international organization working in developing countries.
- Ability to communicate complex research results in a concise and engaging fashion.
- Excellent verbal and written English communication skills.
- Demonstrated project management skills.
- Ability to prioritize work and handle multiple tasks; keen attention to detail.
- Conversant in social media platforms and social networking tools.
- Ability to work independently and in interdisciplinary and multicultural teams.
- Excellent interpersonal skills.
- Ability and willingness to travel internationally.
- Experience in agriculture, nutrition, or health field highly desirable
- International experience, especially in Asia or Africa
- Linkages to wider communication and action networks
- Preferred knowledge about and/or previous experience with CGIAR Centers or Research Programs
- Fluency in more than one language (French, Spanish)
- Some desktop publishing software knowledge (e.g. Adobe suite)
- Previous experience updating, managing, and/or curating web-based content
- Good copyediting skills