PATH is a global nonprofit dedicated to achieving health equity. With more than 40 years of experience forging multisector partnerships and with expertise in science, economics, technology, advocacy, and dozens of other specialties, PATH develops and scales up innovative solutions to the world’s most pressing health challenges.
The Africa Region leverages its internal and global expertise to drive transformative and innovative practices that reflect the African context. By mobilizing our pre-existing talent within the region and working with our global teams, we take innovation to scale by working alongside our Ministries of Health to reduce health disparities. With potential for expansion, the division currently works across fifteen countries distributed among four Hubs – Southern, Western, Central, and East Africa.
The PATH External Affairs Division is searching for a highly motivated communicator with organizational, analytical, and interpersonal skills to serve as the Communications Manager in the Africa Region Division. The Communications Manager will lead the communications function for PATH’s hubs in the Africa Region, driving and implementing strategies to reach audiences who support PATH’s business goals and mission. From streamlining editorial and design services for countries, regional hubs, and program communicators to developing external communications guidelines for the growing and evolving practice, the Communications Manager will play a critical role in devising new and innovative ways to reach staff, funders, public health partners, government officials, philanthropic partners, the media, and other influencers—and ultimately the communities we serve.
The Communications Manager will work closely with the PATH programs and advocacy, communication, engagement, and philanthropy teams. He/She will report to the Head of Communications, Africa Region, and be part of the External Affairs—Africa Region Team.
The successful candidate will be hosted in any of the PATH offices in Uganda, Tanzania, Kenya, Zambia, or South Africa.
- Assist the Head of Communications-Africa Region in designing and implementing strategic communications plans and activities to advance PATH’s Advocacy, Communications, and Engagement (ACE) strategy and build visibility for PATH among target audiences in the region.
- Assist in building and scaling the regional communication teams across PATH’s African country offices by partnering with country directors, program leaders, and communicators to engage their in-country audiences and support the growing, matrixed regional communications function.
- Support country offices, programs, and communicators with their internal and external communications efforts, employee engagement, risk mitigation, and crisis communications in partnership with HR, legal, and other PATH leaders and stakeholders.
- Strengthen communications capacities and skills within the African region for more effective engagement with funders, policymakers, media, and influencers to achieve business and public health objectives: Specifically, the writing of success stories and technical briefs in accordance with donor expectations.
- Develop and produce compelling written and multimedia content to showcase PATH’s experience, expertise, evidence, and impact.
- Coordinate media relations efforts for the Africa region and oversee strategic deployment and management of media and digital communications channels.
- Manage the translation and dissemination of evidence and experience across the African region to support and build PATH’s reputation and efficacy as a public health leader.
- Assist in developing the scope of work, selecting, and managing the work (and budgets) of PR and communications firms, contractors, and vendors in support of PATH’s communications, engagement, and advocacy efforts, including developing and operating a structured communications coordination for the region.
- Support the coordination of high-level engagements with global and African leaders by PATH leadership and partners