With world attention on both the environment and the economy, Environmental Defense Fund (EDF) is where policymakers and business leaders turn for win-win solutions. By focusing on strong science, uncommon partnerships and market-based approaches, we tackle urgent threats with practical solutions. We are one of the world’s largest environmental organizations, with more than two million members and a staff of approximately 700 scientists, economists, policy experts, and other professionals around the world. We operate in 22 geographies with unique projects running across four programs. You will be part of a vibrant workplace where innovation and results are a way of life.
EDF envisions a world in which people from all backgrounds and experiences feel connected to the environmental challenges we face and are engaged in creating durable, equitable solutions. We seek talented candidates who share our Core Values of Respect, Results, Innovation, Optimism, and Integrity, and support our Commitment to Diversity.
Energy Transition Overview
The goal of the Energy Transition Team is to bend the curve on greenhouse gas emissions from oil and gas production and use by 2030, while meeting the world’s energy needs cleanly and equitably. We are achieving this through a defined set of objectives targeted at 1) reducing emissions from oil and gas production, delivery, and use, and 2) reducing demand for oil and gas in power generation, transportation, buildings, and industry. To achieve our goal, we seek reforms in law, regulation, and/or business practice through a set of strategic corporate partnerships, direct engagement with policymakers, and mobilizing investor and public sentiment in favor of change. In achieving our objectives, we facilitate cutting-edge science, technical innovation, and rigorous economic and financial analysis to develop durable solutions.
The Communications Assistant is the backbone of the Energy Transition Communications team and serves in a vital role to help improve the speed and agility of our climate-centered communications work. In this role, you will support the execution of media strategies across earned, owned and digital channels, including the coordination of activities around key news-making moments. They will serve as the primary voice of internal news blasts and maintain content and events calendars, as well as media lists. This person will be part of a tight-knit team with opportunity for growth through special projects and cross-team collaboration. They will report to the Director of Energy Transition Communications and work closely with communicators overseeing EDF’s methane, clean trucks, and emerging issue workstreams.
- Track, edit and publish press materials on EDF websites.
- Prep and send press distributions through our media database and internal contact lists.
- Maintain news and content calendars, share updates during regular staff calls.
- Stay current with EDF style guides and help the team apply latest guidance.
- Assist with media tracking and reporting across the department.
- Assist with media list updating and oversee a schedule for regular list maintenance.
- Conduct event research to keep a global events calendar current, track important deadlines and assess media, visibility, and audience activity to inform event strategy.
- Draft organic social posts for energy channels or expert handles as appropriate.
- Liaise with EDF’s Audience Insights team on executing research projects that can help the Energy Transition team better understand what motivates our audiences.
- Participates in EDF DEI goals in which people from all backgrounds and experiences feel connected, included, and empowered to address the environmental challenges we face. This includes fostering equitable systems and empowering diverse constituencies both internally and externally.
- Take on special projects as needed.
- Bachelor’s degree required in a related communications field or minimum 1-2 years relevant work experience in marketing, new media, journalism, or public relations.
- Digital marketing or social media experience preferred, with working knowledge of digital platforms and tools, including Twitter, LinkedIn, Facebook, and Hootsuite or similar.
- Excellent written communication skills, particularly for social media.
- Excellent attention to detail and strong organization skills.
- Excellent research skills.
- A solutions-minded individual who is eager to help inform current and new systems that can increase collaboration and efficiency.
- Ability to plan and prioritize a varied workload, while maintaining an opportunistic approach to breaking news.
- Excels both as an independent contributor and as a collaborator on a team.
- Demonstrates self-awareness, cultural competency and inclusivity, and ability to work with colleagues and stakeholders across diverse cultures and backgrounds.
- Interest in environmental advocacy and EDF’s mission.
Environmental Defense Fund is an equal opportunity employer where an applicant’s qualifications are considered without regard to race, color, religion, sex, national origin, age, disability, veteran status, genetic information, sexual orientation, gender identity or expression, or any other basis prohibited by law.