Communications Advisor, Prosper Africa
Place of Performance:
Maximum Level of Effort (LOE):
Through the INVEST Project, USAID seeks to unlock the potential of the private sector to drive inclusive growth in countries around the world. The private sector is an increasingly critical partner for achieving sustainable outcomes capable of moving countries beyond the need for assistance. Driving the changing dynamic between private sector and development activities is growing alignment in priorities and interests. Increasingly, private investors and businesses are looking to emerging markets for better returns and new market opportunities. However, encouraging private investment and activity in high-impact areas important to USAID – e.g agriculture, financial services, infrastructure, energy, clean water, health, and education – requires new forms of collaboration between USAID and the private sector. USAID is seeking more strategic engagement and collaboration with the private sector throughout its planning and programming.
In April 2017, the Office of Private Capital and Microenterprise (PCM) at the United States Agency for International Development (USAID) launched a co-creation process for private sector partners to collaboratively design approaches and capacity to blend government funding with private sector capital to improve development impact. In September 2017 following this co-creation process USAID awarded a contract to DAI as the INVEST apex partner to set up a buy-in mechanism that would allow USAID missions and Washington D.C. offices flexible access to a wide set of partners to support activities aimed at catalyzing private investment. Using a lean approach tailored to high potential opportunities, relevant parts of the network will come together to research, develop, and build specific solutions that align private capital with development needs.
Primary role: Design, implement, and manage strategic communications work for the Prosper Africa initiative. We expect that this will be the near-exclusive focus for the first 6-12 months.
- Cultivate strong relationships with Prosper Africa communications staff and contacts. Advise them on how to reach key audiences such as investors, use strategic communications to achieve the initiative’s technical goals, and capture and celebrate success stories.
- Collaborate with INVEST technical team members responsible for the Prosper Africa implementation plan to ensure that strategic communications efforts are aligned.
- Launch and manage the Prosper Africa website, using a phased approach. Develop content and manage designer and web developer.
- Develop key communications collateral and templates, drafting written content and managing a graphic design firm. This may include:
- Create the initiative’s look and feel, brand guidelines, graphic standards manual, and key templates (for a monthly newsletter or social media graphics, for example)
- Develop one-pagers, slide decks, infographics, social media toolkits, etc.
- If needed, manage other support resources such as event firms, video production firms, PR firms, and communications freelancers.
- Provide ongoing communications support to Prosper Africa as their implementation and communications strategies evolve. This could include an event strategy, event support, writing blogs and website content, providing input for taskers, briefers, and speeches, drafting social media and newsletter content, etc.
- Develop and/or facilitate inter-agency communications amongst Prosper Africa stakeholders.
Secondary role: Contribute to INVEST-wide communications efforts
- Contribute to INVEST’s project-wide learning and communications efforts, including the development of reports, graphics, op-eds, blogs, website content, digital media content, presentations, case-studies, etc. Engage the INVEST partner network through newsletters and LinkedIn content.
- Collaborate with other members of the INVEST communications and thought leadership team, sharing expertise and ideas.
- Provide direct communications support to other INVEST buy-ins as needed and as bandwidth allows. This could include preparing communications products, copy-editing and formatting materials, crafting and managing events, writing announcements, press releases, and success stories, and preparing presentations and reports.
- Provide basic graphic design support, e.g., laying out and polishing presentations, reports, learning products, fact sheets, and other documents; developing simple graphics for INVEST’s communications materials; and collaborating with graphic design firms.
The consultant will report to the INVEST Strategic Investment Advisor.
- 5+ years professional work experience in communications with expertise supporting clients engaged in international development
- Strong client-relationship management skills
- Communications experience working with USAID, USAID projects, or whole-of-government initiatives focused on international development
- Understanding of USAID and USG priorities and experience framing messaging appropriately; Experience navigating complex or politically-sensitive organizations or initiatives
- Ability to work in a fast-moving, fluid team setting with multiple stakeholders
- Excellent interpersonal skills and a strong team player
Desirable but not required:
- Basic graphic design skills
- Experience managing creative contractors and consultants, such as graphic designers, video producers, and web developers