Under article 4.2, paragraph (e) of the Staff Regulations, the filling of vacancies in technical cooperation projects does not fall under Annex I of the Staff Regulations and is made by direct selection by the Director-General.
In order to support the best informed process in the filling of the above-mentioned vacancy by direct selection, the ILO invites interested candidates to submit their application online by the above date.
The following are eligible to apply:
- ILO Internal candidates in accordance with paragraphs 31 and 32 of Annex I of the Staff Regulations.
- External candidates*
*The recruitment process for National Officer positions is subject to specific local recruitment criteria.
Technical cooperation appointments are not expected to lead to a career in the ILO and they do not carry any expectation of renewal or conversion to any other type of appointment in the Organization. A one-year fixed-term contract will be given. Extensions of technical cooperation contracts are subject to various elements including the following: availability of funds, continuing need of the functions and satisfactory conduct and performance.
*Conditions of employment for external candidates: In conformity with existing ILO practice, the appointment of an external candidate will normally be made at the first step of this grade.
Increasing the private-sector investment rate is key precondition for the development and growth of Egypt’s rural economy. But, as is the case in rural areas of many countries, Egypt’s rural areas are not always viewed as a first choice for investment, not only due to their remoteness and poor infrastructure, but also owing to the lack of awareness among rural communities about their economic potential and capacities. Indeed rural communities in Egypt face serious obstacles in accessing education and training opportunities, as well as credit, by cause of the inadequate provision of public and private services. For that purpose development programmes aimed at enabling an increase in the overall investment rate should encompass and consider those aspects as priorities. The rural economy can be an important source of employment if the right interventions are in place to ensure that these jobs are decent, environmentally sustainable and meet the aspirations of the Egyptian youth.
Against this backdrop, the project “Egypt Youth Employment (EYE): Jobs and Private Sector Development in Rural Egypt” aims to promote decent private-sector employment in rural Egypt through increased opportunities for employment within large enterprises and also within rural MSMEs along value chains of highest employability and growth potentials. The project is intended to capitalize on ILO’s expertise and experience in the promotion of decent employment in the rural economy and to build on past rural-focused initiatives implemented in Egypt and other countries.
The project strategy:
The project adopts a two-pronged strategy combining 1) the direct support component, reflected in carefully-designed value-chain-development interventions in selected economic (sub)-sectors, with 2) an institutional and capacity development element, embodied in several training and skills development initiatives, using ILO well-renowned enterprise and entrepreneurship tools, that will further enable and reinforce the value-chain interventions to realize their objectives.
⦁ Strengthened capacity of stakeholders to make informed decisions about addressing opportunities and challenges for the promotion of decent jobs in specific economic sub-sectors in rural Egypt.
⦁ Decent work opportunities promoted along selected (sub) sector/value-chains in rural Egypt
⦁ Emerging MSMEs/small-scale producers supported/scaled up in rural Egypt to contribute to local economic development (LED) and to promote decent employment opportunities
The project is based on three main approaches:
⦁ Promoting sustainable enterprises.
⦁ Creating more and better jobs for inclusive growth and improved youth employment prospects.
⦁ Promoting decent work in the rural economy.
The incumbent will perform the duties under the direct supervision of the project Chief Technical Advisor and under the overall guidance of the DWT/CO-Cairo Director.
Main Duties and Responsibilities
1. Undertake and complete specialized support services in a range of communication and information management areas encompassing promotion, advocacy, media relations, events management, research, publication, documentation and information management activities.
2. Identify communication and information management needs and discuss requirements for specific assignments with the project manager and staff. Provide support for the design and development of communication and information products to best reflect key messages and target different audiences.
3. Develop, by compiling information from a range of different sources and/or review communication and information products, verifying accuracy of information and ensuring correct layout and design in compliance with applicable standards.
4. Coordination the development of documentation videos on the project’s activities in close liaison with the relevant service providers and media companies.
5. Develop and update a media contacts/distribution list, and media companies and consultants list.
6. Establish and update a database of the photos and videos of the project.
7. Compile statistics and analyse data and information on web page, social media and other communication and information management-related activities.
8. Identify opportunities to promote key messages to diverse audiences, including the media and assist in the planning and organization of meetings, campaigns and other events.
9. Keep abreast of changes to communication and information management-related techniques, tools, standards, guidelines and best practices and provide guidance and deliver training to staff with a view to building knowledge.
10. Evaluate and propose improvements to work methods and processes. Assess the impact of changes and make recommendations on follow up actions. Liaise closely with other administrative areas to ensure effective and smooth service design and delivery, recommending improvements on interrelated processes.
11. Commission, research, write, edit and/or translate from/to the local language audience-specific communication and information products, including press releases, feature stories, fact sheets, brochures, talking points and speeches that communicate persuasive, evidence-based and solution-oriented messages.
12. Undertake filed visits to document the project’s activities.
13. Perform other relevant duties as assigned.
Completion of secondary school education supplemented by a training in communication or information management-related area.
⦁ Minimum of six years of work experience, in communication in development projects implemented by national/international NGOs/UN bodies/ Government.
⦁ Capacity to produce high-quality briefs and reports in both Arabic and English.
⦁ Experience in a non-governmental organization or in the United Nations (desirable).
⦁ Proficiency in using state-of-art media technologies, web-based media outlets and social media networks.
Excellent command in English. Good knowledge of Arabic.
In addition to the ILO core competencies [Integrity and transparency, Sensitivity to diversity, Orientation to learning and knowledge sharing, Client orientation, Communication, Orientation to change, Takes responsibility for performance, Quality orientation, Collaboration], this position requires:
⦁ Good knowledge of communication and/or information management techniques
⦁ Good knowledge of multimedia techniques and platforms.
⦁ Good knowledge of producing and using multimedia products.
⦁ Good knowledge of PC software (including word processor, spreadsheet and presentation software) such as Microsoft Office.
⦁ Knowledge of planning and organizing events.
⦁ Knowledge and understanding of the substantive nature of ILO programmes and activities.
⦁ Knowledge of methods and techniques for assessing quality and efficiency of process execution.
⦁ Ability to interpret and work within the applicable rules, regulations, policies and procedures.
⦁ Ability to adapt quickly to new software and systems including for updating websites, desktop publishing, graphic design.
⦁ Ability to code and classify information in accordance with standards.
⦁ Ability to tailor communications for specific audiences.
⦁ Ability to search for and analyse information from a variety of sources.
⦁ Drafting and web writing/editing skills.
⦁ Accuracy and attention to detail and skills in the design, layout and formatting documents.
⦁ Ability to coordinate the work of support staff.
⦁ Ability to work in a multicultural environment and to demonstrate gender-sensitive and non-discriminatory behaviour and attitudes.
Candidates assessed by the Panel and considered to be eligible for appointment but who are not selected for this vacant post may be offered an assignment to another position at the same or lower grade provided that they meet the minimum qualifications required.
Please note that all candidates must complete an on-line application form. To apply, please visit ILO People. The system provides instructions for online application procedures.
The ILO does not charge any fee at any stage of the recruitment process whether at the application, interview, processing or training stage. Messages originating from a non ILO e-mail account – @ilo.org – should be disregarded. In addition, the ILO does not require or need to know any information relating to the bank account details of applicants.
- Only those candidates that are short-listed for assessment will be contacted
- Candidates who pass the interview and have good capabilities as may be recommended by the panel, may get selected for similar positions
- The Office reserves to itself the right to appoint candidates at a level below the level of the advertised post depending on their experience
- Assessed candidates who will be considered as appointable for this position can also be offered to be assigned on a TEMPORARY position at the same or at a lower grade provided that said candidates possesses the minimum qualifications for this position