Internews is seeking a Communication and Community Engagement (CCE) Coordinator with experience of creating and implementing cross-sectoral community engagement strategy. The CCE reports to Humanitarian Director (HD) and works closely with the HD on strategic planning, coordination and implementation. The role will involve extensive liaising with the humanitarian architecture in South Sudan, including providing strategic leadership on CCE and technical guidance on engagement methodology to all clusters in South Sudan. In addition the Coordinator would embark on comprehensive capacity building in CCE planning and methodology with humanitarian partners nationally. Travel is required for this position and an ability to adapt and react to the ever-changing needs of a conflict/disaster prone environment. The coordinator will also develop new research and learning methodology for clusters which meets the varied needs of each sector.
ESSENTIAL DUTIES AND RESPONSIBILITIES:
- Chair the national CCE working group, providing strategic direction and leadership to its members. The working group should be activity driven and most produce tangible CCE solutions to the broader humanitarian sphere.
- Supervise cluster focal points and information management officer.
- Work closely with the HCT, ICWG and clusters to provide technical guidance in how to embed a CCE approach in every part of the project cycle across all sectors.
- Fully conversant in the latest developments in CCE, with excellent training skills, to impart this knowledge to partner agencies.
- Produce qualitative products from South Sudan response-wide range feedback from the field.
- Manage focal point staff who will be attached to a number of clusters providing CCE support. Staff professional development should be managed well with the coordinator providing appropriate levels of support to cultivate their talent and supervision to ensure standards are maintained.
- Supervise training program, ensuring focal points are equipped to train on CCE methodology, humanitarian communication, behavior change communications and training techniques.
- Regularly visit field locations to learn from CCE good-practice examples emerging in the field which can be adapted and implemented across other locations to improve community access to humanitarians, to ensure communities are engaged in decision making and to fill information gaps.
- Undertake mapping exercises to understand the current capacity level of humanitarians conducting CCE activities and to understand the gaps.
- Undertake stakeholder mapping exercises to understand power structures in communities in both displacement camps and camp-like settings.
- Engage with the durable solutions working group to harmonize activities and ensure the group is supported to place communities at the center for this decision making process.
- Reinforce and expand two-way communication channels and systems between humanitarian agencies, and local community groups and individuals.
- Manage and drive research activities (including surveys, focus group discussions etc.) to learn and build on humanitarian knowledge of CCE.
- Liaise with donors and arrange site visits as required
- Provide CCE support to partners during an emergency when needed.
- Understanding of and demonstrated commitment to upholding Internews’ Core Values.
- Advanced University degree in anthropology, communication, international development, or humanitarian sector
- Experience in leading projects, including research, learning and reporting
- Experience in leading and coordinating teams and staff
- Experience in CCE projects, with a strong focus on the feedback loop from IDPs and refugees into the humanitarian system
- A thorough understanding of the work of humanitarian and development agencies, including working within the context of refugee protection and assistance, UN cluster system, coordination and peacekeeping operations
- Strong communication and diplomatic skills.
- Proven ability to develop and monitor work plans and training plans.
- Practical experience in establishing and operating capacity building & training programs.
- Experience living and working in Africa and/or conflict/post-conflict environments required; experience in South Sudan desirable.
- Ability to adjust to shifting political circumstances and create programming accordingly.
- Sensitivity to cross-cultural dynamics in the work place and experience supervising staff.
- Must be self-reliant, resourceful, good problem-solver, good humored, and flexible.
- Ability to travel within and spend extended time in the field, with limited facilities, often under harsh conditions.
- Fluency in English, Arabic a plus
Note: This position is posted in a High or Extreme Physical Risk location. Conditions in the field may include, but are not limited to the following: compound living quarters, limited mobility outside of designated areas, limited in-country medical care or pharmacy, limited access to fresh fruit and vegetables, limited access to high speed internet, dress code requirements, unaccompanied posting, and required advanced safety and security training. If selected for an interview for this position, ensure you discuss the specifics of living and working in this unique operating environment and consider them at length during the recruitment process.
This position is being offered and hired by Internews Network. Benefits will be consistent with Internews Network’s offerings and will be reviewed during the hiring process. Additional information can be found on our About Working for Internews page