PATH is currently recruiting for a Commercialization Officer.
PATH is a global nonprofit dedicated to achieving health equity. With more than 40 years of experience forging multisector partnerships, and with expertise in science, economics, technology, advocacy, and dozens of other specialties, PATH develops and scales up innovative solutions to the world’s most pressing health challenges.
A leader in global health innovation, PATH is at the forefront of finding and implementing effective approaches to improve maternal, newborn, and child health and nutrition. For over two decades, our experts have helped develop the best methods to fortify rice with vitamins and minerals. To ensure that the benefits of fortified rice reach as many people as possible, we are expanding evidence, developing global markets, and working to broaden adoption worldwide. We are also supporting stakeholders to introduce, test, use, and scale fortified rice to combat malnutrition and improve lives.
PATH’s rice fortification project in India has already benefitted about 1 million people. It has the potential to reach 800+ million people in India, especially women and children through the government’s safety net programs, making it a viable tool for addressing vitamin and mineral deficiencies at scale. Also, the cost of fortification is minimal between 50 and 80 paise / kg), especially compared to the negative health and economic costs of vitamin and mineral deficiencies. Scaling up rice fortification will therefore not only improve the health of India’s families and communities but improve the productivity of the country at large.
About the program:
PATH has been a global leader over two decades working on rice fortification technology advancement, building evidence, and implementing in multiple countries. Many pilots conducted over the years by PATH demonstrated operational feasibility of distribution of fortified rice through safety net programs and open market in India.
Studies have shown that consumption of fortified rice has positive impact towards combating iron deficiency anaemia and other vitamin deficiencies. The Government of India and other stakeholders such as FSSAI and NITI Aayog have acknowledged the importance of rice fortification and need to introduce it through various safety net programs in India. Billions of people around the world suffer from micronutrient malnutrition. To address the need, PATH has advanced and commercialized the Ultra Rice technology, filling an important market gap in the range of solutions for addressing micronutrient malnutrition. PATH’s Ultra Rice® technology packs vitamins and minerals into extruded rice grains made from rice flour. PATH has licensed the technology to several manufacturers, and regional technology centers.
Over the last few years, PATH has been a technical partner to the national government’s Food Safety Standards Authority of India (FSSAI). PATH has played an imperative role in guiding FSSAI on the regulation for staple foods and is now working with FSSAI, its newly established Food Fortification Resource Centre (FFRC), and state governments to scale-up rice fortification in the government’s safety net programs. PATH is also supporting FFRC in developing a national repository on food fortification evidence and implementation tools including quality control and assurance tools. PATH’s advocacy with government has led to introduction of fortified rice in MDM program in several states including Andhra Pradesh, Rajasthan, Karnataka, Chandigarh. PATH is also providing support in Delhi, Odisha, Haryana, Gujarat, Goa, Assam and West Bengal to initiate rice fortification program. PATH India team is also supporting scale up of rice fortification in Myanmar and plans to scale it up in Africa, Bhutan and other south Asian countries.
Specific responsibilities for the Commercialization Officer include:
- Expand the distribution channels for fortified Rice in India.
- Take the lead on the design and implementation of Ultra Rice pilots through the Public Distribution System (PDS), including marketing strategies to enhance uptake among PDS consumers.
- Cultivate opportunities for expanding into additional public sector programs, the food aid market, and commercial retail channels.
- Develop case studies of the various distribution pilots in order to disseminate best practices, as well as further engage entities the supply and distribution chain, enlist the support of policymakers, and cultivate new buyers. Present findings at relevant meetings and conferences.
- Manage relationships with Ultra Rice manufacturing partners in India, identifying bottlenecks and developing solutions to their sale and distribution of fortified rice in the country.
- Cultivate contractual relationships with key raw materials suppliers to the Ultra Rice manufacturers in India in a manner that maximizes both access (price, availability) and quality.
- Develop a business model for establishing a Regional Technology Transfer Center in India and work with PATH’s identified partner to implement such a plan.
- Support efforts to expand the donor base to the Ultra Rice project in India, particularly from the corporate sector.
- Supervise external consultants, as needed.
- Support the project manager in business expansion activities for fortified rice.
- Support and world closely with state governments to map the rice supply chain and develop models for distribution of fortified rice through public sector programs such as the MDM, ICDS and PDS.
- Support the Myanmar rice fortification team in market expansion of fortified rice through retail channels.
- Support the Myanmar rice fortification team in developing business models for introducing fortified rice through social safety net programs and commercial sector launch.
- Work closely with Ultra Rice project manager to develop and implement detailed work plans, milestones, and outcomes for the envisioned expansion work, ensuring its alignment with the project’s global commercialization strategies.
- Support business model and cost calculations for fortified rice