PATH is a global organization that works to accelerate health equity by bringing together public institutions, businesses, social enterprises, and investors to solve the world’s most pressing health challenges. With expertise in science, health, economics, technology, advocacy, and dozens of other specialties, PATH develops and scales solutions—including vaccines, drugs, devices, diagnostics, and innovative approaches to strengthening health systems worldwide.
One of PATH’s primary activities is the development and commercialization of health and medical products for developing country use. The Diagnostics (Dx) Program at PATH develops diagnostic tests for the purposes of enhancing health care and diagnostic capabilities in low and middle income countries. Additionally, PATH’s product teams conduct collaborative research and development with universities, manufacturers, and other institutions to develop products that are appropriate and affordable for developing country use. PATH’s goal in these collaborations is to achieve maximum sustainable public health benefit by facilitating global technology access.
PATH is seeking a Commercialization Officer to support the Dx Program. The Dx Program focuses on development of affordable, portable, easy-to-use diagnostics with a user-oriented perspective that addresses the needs of the people. Taking the three key phases of PATH’s product introduction framework—to innovate, introduce, and integrate—the Dx Program is able to advance a concept of health care to actual product implementation and use. The Commercialization Officer will work on a portfolio of projects focusing on the development, commercialization, and implementation of the most promising, cost-effective, and impactful diagnostic technologies for conditions that impact the health and well being of low and middle income countries.
The Commercialization Officer will support the Dx Program across a portfolio of projects and will have responsibilities in the following areas. A successful Commercialization Officer will bring expertise in at least 2 of the following 3 areas, with on-the-job learning in the third area.
- Market research
- Articulate market research questions, design market research methodologies, and drive execution of market landscaping exercises to understand target markets and users, competitor landscape, willingness-to-pay, channels to market, and market sizing.
- Develop analytical models to analyze and interpret market research data
- Identify and engage with key stakeholders to understand market needs and strategies for cost-effective, sustainable product introduction.
- Product development / lifecycle management
- Analyze and leverage market research data to inform product development, define value proposition and business case, and develop product commercialization strategies
- Develop integrated product development plans and commercialization workplans to define the key activities, challenges, and opportunities to support and de-risk product adoption and scale up in low and middle income countries
- Represent PATH and its product development partnerships at key conferences and global events.
- Execute commercial strategy including management of external public and private partnerships
- Partnerships and agreements
- Identify, build, and sustain strategic partnerships to support product adoption and access in low and middle income countries.
- Manage and execute partner due diligence to ensure alignment with project and program goals
- Lead agreements process to formalize partnerships, including negotiations of key terms including global access, drafting term sheets, and collaborating with PATH legal to draft, iterate and execute final agreement
- Contribute to writing grant proposals and other project reports as requested by team members.