At CARE, we seek a world of hope, tolerance and social justice, where poverty has been overcome and people live with dignity and security.
This has been our vision since 1945, when we were founded to send lifesaving CARE Packages® to survivors of World War II. Today, CARE is a global leader in the movement to eradicate poverty. In 2015, CARE worked in 95 countries and reached 65 million people with an incredible range of life-saving programs. We also put women and girls at the center of our work because we know that we cannot overcome poverty until all people have equal rights and opportunities. We seek dynamic, innovative thinkers to further our mission. If you share our core beliefs: poverty is an injustice; poverty is solvable; and together, we have the power to end it, join us.
CARE is seeking a Collaboration, Learning, and Adaptation (CLA) Advisor for a five-year, USAID-funded Feed the Future Ethiopia Livelihoods for Resilience Activity. This program will complement the Government of Ethiopia’s (GoE’s) Productive Safety Net Program 4 (PSNP 4) and will focus on four programmatic priorities: (1) on-farm income generating activities (IGAs) and crop and livestock market systems; (2) off-farm IGAs and non-farm enterprise development; (3) non-farm labor and wage employment; as well as (4) collaborative learning for scaling and sustaining gains made in the 3 livelihood – on-farm, off-farm and employment pathways. The CLA Advisor collaborates with the core team of technical advisors who manage implementation in their assigned areas and assure program quality in collaboration with project implementation and technical partners. Specifically, s/he will supervise a knowledge management advisor and work in collaboration with the project’s M&E team and a Technical Working Group comprised of project managers from all implementing partners. The CLA Advisor will engage project stakeholders in gathering information and lessons emerging from program implementation and ensuring quality communications to external stakeholders. The CLA Advisor leads the development of a comprehensive learning agenda to further inform program adaptation and sequencing and cost effectiveness of the USAID’s and the GoE’s investments.
- Collaborates with the monitoring, evaluation and learning (MEL) team
- Oversees the learning agenda, communications, and adaptive management
- Ensures effective collaboration with other programs
- Ensures that data are meaningfully disaggregated, including disaggregating by sex of household head or sex of respondent where appropriate
- Perform other duties as assigned
- Master’s degree in relevant discipline
- Minimum of 7 years of experience in progressively more senior roles in monitoring and evaluation, adaptive management, learning and knowledge management. Previous experience and/or knowledge of DCED (Donor Committee for Enterprise Development) standards as they related to private sector development (e.g., market systems and the poor, value chain development, women’s economic empowerment) is a strong advantage.
- Experience using collaboration, learning, and adaptation techniques is required; experience with CLA to scale up and build sustainability is a strong advantage
- Demonstrated ability to build and maintain partnerships and productive working relationships with a wide variety of stakeholders
- Ability to translate complex and complicated ideas into easily accessible and understandable concepts and/or messages
- Excellent, high-level, demonstrated written and oral communications skills in English is required. Proficiency in standard computer applications including web-based apps. Demonstrated analytical and critical thinking skills are required
- Ability to meet deadlines under pressure, build consensus and work successfully with diverse stakeholders
- Ability to travel to program sites in Ethiopia as may be required