Mercy Corps Northwest (MCNW), the domestic arm of Mercy Corps, was established in 1998 as a program of Mercy Corps, the Portland, Oregon-based development agency. MCNW is a Community Development Financial Institution that assists all low-income populations, including people of color, women, refugees and immigrants, incarcerated and previously incarcerated people in Oregon and Washington states by increasing their economic self-sufficiency and community integration through self-employment. For more information about Mercy Corps Northwest, visit www.mercycorpsnw.org
The Client Support Officer will be responsible for the implementation and administration of MCNW’s programs operating from the Seattle office. These programs include IDA grants, micro-lending, and credit coaching. The role requires: 1) excellent community outreach and partner coordination, 2) proven public speaking and representation skills, 3) passion and commitment to reach out to and work with underserved small business owners in Seattle and surrounding areas, 4) strong administrative and writing skills, and 5) a comprehensive knowledge of MCNW’s matched savings grant program (IDA).
The Client Support Officer will represent MCNW to clients, partners and city governments for the Seattle office. They will be responsible for direct client service of all MCNW programs. They will be directly responsible for accurate data tracking of all programs. They will coordinate closely and report into his/her Washington State Manager, as well as the MCNW team in Walla Walla and Portland. They will help MCNW roll out strategies and processes that reinforce MCNW’s commitment to diversity, equity and inclusion in the office, with clients and partners and in communities.
Essential Job Responsibilities
- Oversee ongoing program administration in Seattle and throughout Washington if expansion occurs.
- Ensure that program implementation is responsive to communities and partners and consistent with Mercy Corps’ relevant program guidelines, principles, values including diversity equity and inclusion values and targets, quality standards and strategic plan.
- Market the three business development programs and products to potential clients, existing and potential funders and referral sources.
- Administer the Seattle IDA, loan and credit counseling programs and processes while tracking and reporting activity, progress and impacts.
- Ensure that underserved clients served effectively according to established criteria.
- Integrate community approaches, gender sensitivity, capacity building and our commitment to diversity, equity and inclusion into all activities as appropriate.
- Ensure program implementation is on time, target and budget, using effective M&E systems to reach desired impacts.
- Create and maintain systems ensuring effective and transparent use of financial resources for timely and informative reporting in line with donor and Mercy Corps policies and procedures.
Individual Development Account Management:
- Develop strategies and conduct outreach and orientation sessions for potential IDA clients in and around Seattle for effectively reaching underserved potential clients.
- Participate in and/or oversee application review and participant selection process. Oversee the collection of all needed IDA documents for enrollment in the programs for each location.
- Use VistaShare to manage IDA client data. Duties include data input, running reports, and tracking client information.
- Ensure that participants complete all program requirements for successful completion of their respective IDA programs.
- Identify and coordinate with affordable and experienced community education providers to provide the training to program participants and assist with outreach.
- Develop strategies and conduct outreach with community partners to coordinate marketing and implementation of the Understanding Your Credit seminars.
- Use VistaShare to manage counseling client data. Duties include data input, running reports, and tracking client information to ensure completion of requirements.
- Pull credit reports, complete credit assessment, and provide one-on-one coaching during seminars and follow-up sessions.
- Recruit, train, and coordinate outreach and event scheduling with community partners who will assist with community outreach, host the seminars, and provide the one-on-one credit coaching.
- Work with the Washington State Manager to market loan products to local residents. Advise and assist them with loan applications, compiling needed documentation and working with loan clients. Generally, the Washington Manager will engage with the loan applicants once it is determined that MCNW will move forward with a formal application and underwriting process.
- Provide business advisory technical assistance to both prospective loan applicants and existing clients.
- Create and sustain a work environment of mutual respect where team members strive to achieve excellence.
- Promote accountability, communicate expectations and provide constructive feedback via regular performance reviews.
- Provide team members with information, tools and other resources to improve performance and reach objectives.
- Contribute to Mercy Corps Northwest’s strategy, help team members identify problem-solving options and ensure the integration of all team members into relevant decision-making processes.
- As part of our commitment to organizational learning and in support of our understanding that learning organizations are more effective, efficient and relevant to the communities they serve, we expect all team members to commit 5% of their time to learning activities that benefit Mercy Corps as well as themselves.
ACCOUNTABILITY TO PARTNERS
- Mercy Corps team members are expected to support all efforts toward accountability, specifically to our partners and to international standards guiding international relief and development work, while actively engaging partner communities as equal partners in the design, monitoring and evaluation of our field projects.
Reports Directly To: Washington State Manager (Seattle-based)
Works Directly With: The entire MCNW team in Seattle, Walla Walla and Portland
Knowledge and Experience
- Experience working with diverse and underserved communities and low-income individuals; with a high level of cultural competence and emotional intelligence.
- Minimum of 2 years’ of experience with direct client service by providing small business consulting, small business education, public speaking, or relevant experience such as small business management/ownership, social service work, etc.
- Minimum of 2 years’ experience assessing business plans, analyzing, data management, and other relevant administrative areas.
- BA/S or equivalent in management, business, accounting or economic development or a related field .of study. An MBA or equivalent international education is an added advantage.
- Exceptional writing skills and ability to present complex concepts and/or analysis clearly.
- Individuals who are fluent in a second language are encouraged to apply.
- Experience analyzing, structuring, and closing business loans is a plus.
The successful Client Support Officer will be energetic, a self-starter and a doer, capable of driving the programs with minimal supervision. They will have a phenomenal ability to engage with partners and facilitate relationships. They will demonstrate excellent emotional intelligence, diplomacy, and drive to push things forward. They will have a creative mindset, with ability to generate new ideas, coupled with attention to detail and ability to get things done. They are committed to working with underserved communities and low-income individuals to realize their full potential. This position will require regional travel around Seattle and periodic travel to Portland.
Living Conditions / Environmental Conditions
The position is based in Seattle, Washington and requires up to 30% travel throughout areas of Washington, including Eastern Washington based out of Walla Walla, and Portland, Oregon.
Fostering a diverse and open workplace is an important part of Mercy Corps’ vision. Mercy Corps is an Equal Opportunity Employer regardless of background. We are committed to creating an inclusive environment.